No announcement yet.
Collapse

Push/pull carts on tee box

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow this is Turing into quite a long thread, I’ll throw my two cents in again for what’s it’s worth... I see far worse things to fret about then a push cart being rolled over a tee box, for me I always repair ball marks, rake bunkers, fix divots , never walk in someone’s line , I don’t drop pin on the green I place/set it, I pick ( or use to pick my ball out of the hole ) I never use my putter to flick my ball out , I stand back when the next person is hitting so I’m not seen or heard , now all that said if I was playing with someone new to the game I would never encourage someone to roll their cart across a tee deck as they might not realize when conditions are wet it could do damage . And again I don’t use a push a cart I’m either carrying or riding so I have never given it to much thought before , I’ve seen lots of people do it and didn’t think anything of it but that’s me , I think the things I mentioned before in the beginning of this post if not done ( raking , ball marks, divots etc.) have an impact on the other golfers experience and are definite no no’s . I see both sides to the conflicting opinions but for it to simply about one person’s expectations vs. Another , at the end of the day golf should be fun and and played in a respectful way so all can enjoy and if rolling a cart on a tee deck isn’t doing physical damage to the course does it really matter that much ? Providing the course doesn’t have a rule against it that is .

Comment

• Originally posted by Benz View Post

Regarding your home course, are you sure about that?
      Very. I specifically asked one of the marshals about it years ago when I started using my Clicgear more regularly, and I have had countless chats with other marshals while standing beside my cart on the box as they do their rounds (used to play a lot midweek as a single before it got crazy busy and I know many of them pretty well by now). I'm sure if there was a rule about it, or even if it was an unwritten rule/frowned upon, they would have mentioned something about it. And that includes Dana, who always has something to complain about
      What's in the Sunmountain 4.5?

10.5 M2 with Speeder 77 Stiff 3 wood shaft
      TM Rescue 17*
      TM M2 4-AW
      TM RAC 52/56 CG15 60
      Odyssey 2 Ball with Superstroke Fatso

Comment

• Originally posted by rulie View Post

There are some things that, imo, are infringements on etiquette - such as talking while someone else is making a stroke, standing directly behind that person, push/pull carts on tee boxes, walking across someone's line of play on the putting green (even if not stepping on it), causing any distraction while someone is making a stroke (even if not in the same group, ie, close by teeing areas), not replacing/repairing divots, not raking bunkers, not repairing ball marks (even more than your own), dropping flagsticks on the green instead of setting them down, fishing balls out of the hole with a putter, taking divots on a practice swing (particularly on the tee box), driving/parking power carts off the cart path near tee boxes, and otherwise where not allowed.
        Often golf courses do not have "rules" for these things, but please observe then regardless.
        Respect the game, the golf course, your fellow players and yourself. Set a great example for others.
        I respect your knowledge of the actual rules of golf and have learned from your posts here. I also agree with almost all the unwritten rules you list here. But I, and many people in this thread, disagree about carts on the tee being an issue. I am glad you added the IMO, because in MY opinion, just because YOU think it's part of golf etiquette, doesn't necessarily make it so.

I respect the rules and my playing partners. I dress respectfully. I try and leave the course in better condition than I found it. I have a garbage bag on my clicgear and pick up whatever trash I find on my walk (which has increased since they took away all the garbage cans on the course due to Covid). I just disagree with you on this one point and your condescension regarding my perceived lack of etiquette is a little insulting.
        What's in the Sunmountain 4.5?

10.5 M2 with Speeder 77 Stiff 3 wood shaft
        TM Rescue 17*
        TM M2 4-AW
        TM RAC 52/56 CG15 60
        Odyssey 2 Ball with Superstroke Fatso

Comment

• Originally posted by ace in the hazard View Post

I respect your knowledge of the actual rules of golf and have learned from your posts here. I also agree with almost all the unwritten rules you list here. But I, and many people in this thread, disagree about carts on the tee being an issue. I am glad you added the IMO, because in MY opinion, just because YOU think it's part of golf etiquette, doesn't necessarily make it so.

I respect the rules and my playing partners. I dress respectfully. I try and leave the course in better condition than I found it. I have a garbage bag on my clicgear and pick up whatever trash I find on my walk (which has increased since they took away all the garbage cans on the course due to Covid). I just disagree with you on this one point and your condescension regarding my perceived lack of etiquette is a little insulting.
          It all comes down to common sense really... there are always exceptions to the norm when it comes to etiquette... with regards to push carts on the tee deck; if its wet and soggy, its probably best not to.. if the ground is dry and firm, who the heck cares...

the same is true for replacing divots at my home course. if the divot breaks into more than 2 pieces, I don't replace it and opt to use the mix provided by the back shop, if the divot remains in one piece or two larger pieces, I will replace it. I am sure the group(s) behind me would prefer I put down some mix then spend a few minutes collecting small pieces of what was a divot. Same goes for ball marks on the green, I look in the general vicinity of where I think my ball landed, and if I cannot find the pitch mark, I will quickly look around a larger area for any pitch mark that I can fix, if I see nothing I move along. I am again sure the group(s) behind me would prefer that I keep moving rather than scouring the green for a pitch mark.

the one thing i find amusing about amateur etiquette, is how upset some people get when a playing partner steps on their line. Whenever somebody steps on my line and gives the routine apology when they realize where they were walking, I tell them "don't worry, you're only the 50th person to walk there today". The number of times somebody stepping on my line has affected a putt can be counted on the digits of a quadruple amputee.

Comment

• I haven't read through this entire thread, but it seems I have seen this discussion before at some point. While I agree with most of what I've read that parking a pull/push cart near the teeing ground or even the green should not be considered a breach of etiquette if the ground is dry and firm, there are some golfers who don't like it and will say so. For them, I would not park it there but farther away just to keep the peace and not irritate them. But that's just me and the way I think....don't upset your fellow golfers.
            On the other hand, IMO if the course doesn't have a specific rule or policy governing how close a pull/push cart can be from the teeing ground then there's no issue.
            Some of the etiquette marshals here would have had a baby had they been playing with me at one of my favorite course near Tampa. They have single rider Phat Scooters to rent there, about the size of a moped with an electric motor. The tires are huge! Before I rented it, I asked the guy in the pro shop for directions on where it should not be driven. I explained that I had a physical disability (back) and didn't really want to walk far from the cart path to the teeing ground or the green. The head pro there came over and explained the course's policy on the Phat Scooters. 1. don't drive up steep inclines (the engine may not get you to the top), 2. don't drive into the woods, and 3. don't drive into water (even standing water in the fairway). Other than that, I could go anywhere I wished. I specifically asked how close I could get to the green. He told me that since it was dry that day, drive across the green if you wished! While I would never even consider that, he explained that with me and my bag on the scooter, I would put less weight per square inch on the green than the mowers because of those huge tires. Although I did cheat on one green that had a huge fringe and drove around that to get to the next hole, can you imagine the faces of other golfers in my group (I was alone all day) if I drove across the green itself?
            U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

• true that! Greens have become sacrosanct deified grounds and no rules violations incur such intense ire as their "defilement".

My regular playing partner's foot disability requires he ride and his handicap flag/shield is properly displayed when he drives/parks close to green.
              Even then, by the 16th hole he is done for the day.
              Down Under it is fine to roll your push cart across the green and station it on the fringe.

but why anyone wants to carry or roll their bag onto the tee when it is easier just to bring the club, or two, is beyond me.
              things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

• IMO , I kind of break the "golf etiquette" into 3 categories.
                We have the rules of golf, literally written rules, I have attached a photo of the 2019 book, roughly 135 pages of RULES one must (should) follow I don't know about anyone else but that's a lot, I have played tournament golf and remembering every little intricacies of the rules can be tough.

Then there is common etiquette, things like talking in someone's back swing, repair a divot on a green, replacing a divot on a fairway and countless others.

Then we have the "not rule a rule, but kind of bugs some people" this is where a feel the push cart on a tee box falls into, and again, countless others within this category.

When I play I always make sure I follow the first 2, and If I happen to be playing with someone who has issues with ones in the last category, then I would do my best to follow those as well... to an extent, I don't own a golf hoodie, but if I did and my playing partners had an issue with it, well they can go fly a kite. I actually find it kind of funny at time, as I have played with guys who are more concerned with the 2 and 3 category and have no idea what the actual rules are, I know a guy who will literally throw a club at you if you are within 10 feet of him when he is going through his pre shot routine, but will adjust his lie or take a "gimmie" 2 footers every day of the week.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeanAvery2point0 View Post

It all comes down to common sense really... there are always exceptions to the norm when it comes to etiquette... with regards to push carts on the tee deck; if its wet and soggy, its probably best not to.. if the ground is dry and firm, who the heck cares...

the same is true for replacing divots at my home course. if the divot breaks into more than 2 pieces, I don't replace it and opt to use the mix provided by the back shop, if the divot remains in one piece or two larger pieces, I will replace it. I am sure the group(s) behind me would prefer I put down some mix then spend a few minutes collecting small pieces of what was a divot. Same goes for ball marks on the green, I look in the general vicinity of where I think my ball landed, and if I cannot find the pitch mark, I will quickly look around a larger area for any pitch mark that I can fix, if I see nothing I move along. I am again sure the group(s) behind me would prefer that I keep moving rather than scouring the green for a pitch mark.

the one thing i find amusing about amateur etiquette, is how upset some people get when a playing partner steps on their line. Whenever somebody steps on my line and gives the routine apology when they realize where they were walking, I tell them "don't worry, you're only the 50th person to walk there today". The number of times somebody stepping on my line has affected a putt can be counted on the digits of a quadruple amputee.
                  Landing in a divot is its own curse but landing on loosely replaced piece of turf cries out for the death penalty. lol Stomp it down.
                  Don't care if you putt out of turn and stand on my line, just don't spit on the green when you miss.
                  things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

• Originally posted by luvtapar88 View Post
                    I don't own a golf hoodie, but if I did and my playing partners had an issue with it, well they can go fly a kite.
                    Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a 'golf hoodie'?

Comment

It's popular with some YT players. It's one step up from the brim facing backwards.
                      things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Major champion, Players Champ, Number 2 ranked played in the world wearing a hoodie, which he and many other golfers got a lot of... I guess criticism for from golfs "elite"

Click image for larger version

Name:	JT_Hoodie_lede-960x540.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	3342554

Comment

• So.

I can leave the cart in the parking lot near my car, and not clean out my garbage as long as there's no written rule prohibiting it at the course I'm at?

Discuss..... (no, don't)
                          "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                          ...Iggy

Comment

• Originally posted by bl8d View Post

It's popular with some YT players. It's one step up from the brim facing backwards.
                            OK. Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
                              So.

I can leave the cart in the parking lot near my car, and not clean out my garbage as long as there's no written rule prohibiting it at the course I'm at?

Discuss..... (no, don't)
                              Yes, you can, because if you use a power cart then you're not really a golfer therefore golf etiquette does not apply.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post
                                Re: Push/pull carts on tee box

I'm all FOR it, I didn't know there was an issue?
                                ....now on GREENS, that's different!!!
                                ^^^^same

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X