Collapse

Slow down, head down.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow down, head down.

So I played a bunch of back to back rounds in Orlando last week and focused all of my shots on slowing down my set up (not rushing to hit), and keeping my head down right through each shot. Remarkably, it helped keep all my rounds at or under 95, so I guess I've found the key to some consistency.

Could've broke 90 had I played some of the courses more smart (protecting against big numbers), like going for bogie instead of par (and ending up with doubles). So all this talk of pace of play (here at home), and playing too fast (3.5 hours), has been the culprit of high numbers.

Pity the fool that gets stuck behind my foursome this fall. We're going for the 4.5 hour round now.
    – Greg

Re: Slow down, head down.

Congrats on finding something that gets you focused a little better and a bit more consistency. However, it's still possible to play a sub-4 hour round and still not rush your setup. IMO, it's not necessary to take a full minute after picking your club to actually make contact with the ball. I watch golfers (both my previous students and strangers that I'm paired with) take up to a minute (and sometimes more) to hit. Most of the time, I believe they are over-thinking all of the different swing thoughts that are running through their mind while they are frozen over the ball (the mind is far from clear), or they are imitating what they see on TV.
    All that's really necessary, once the target line if chosen, is to settle into a stable stance, relax, and let it happen. That shouldn't take any more than 15 seconds. Any more than that IMO is excessive thinking/shifting/waggling/adjusting.
    U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

great post,I have issues with the head down thing lol,my newest revelation is my weight shift,doing it right has messed up my game.

Comment

I agree with "head down", but as i was reading this months Golf Digest I saw this.... http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instr...play-your-best

....read the first few lines, and moved on

The game is hard enough, and then they tell you something else
        Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

No excuse to take 4.5hrs if you have empty holes ahead of you.

Comment

Originally posted by P25 View Post
            Slow carts maybe?

Comment

Perhaps , but remember that PGA pros take about the that same time on average to play a round and that is in 2 somes and 3 somes. Yes they play longer tees but they are also much better golfers and play in smaller groups.

Fastest rounds on PGA tour this year, 3 hrs Gary Woodland as a single. Slowest 5:32, final round 2-some at Valero Texas Open.

IMHO, nothing wrong with playing in 4:15-4:30 for a 4-some of amateurs. That said , was able to get through at Ballantrae this past Wed in 3.5. 4 decent golfers in carts, empty course.
              Last edited by Weirfan; Sep 27, 2014, 06:54 PM.
              "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by goshawk View Post
                Congrats on finding something that gets you focused a little better and a bit more consistency. However, it's still possible to play a sub-4 hour round and still not rush your setup. IMO, it's not necessary to take a full minute after picking your club to actually make contact with the ball. I watch golfers (both my previous students and strangers that I'm paired with) take up to a minute (and sometimes more) to hit. Most of the time, I believe they are over-thinking all of the different swing thoughts that are running through their mind while they are frozen over the ball (the mind is far from clear), or they are imitating what they see on TV.
                All that's really necessary, once the target line if chosen, is to settle into a stable stance, relax, and let it happen. That shouldn't take any more than 15 seconds. Any more than that IMO is excessive thinking/shifting/waggling/adjusting.
                Agreed. Too long over the ball can put too much in your head and cause a bad shot. I have a routine and with the exception of approach/chips from <80 yds (less than a full club shot) I don't even taka a practice swing. Cannot say it has ever helped me. Plan ahead, know the shot you plan for, align and hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                  Perhaps , but remember that PGA pros take about the that same time on average to play a round and that is in 2 somes and 3 somes. Yes they play longer tees but they are also much better golfers and play in smaller groups.

Fastest rounds on PGA tour this year, 3 hrs Gary Woodland as a single. Slowest 5:32, final round 2-some at Valero Texas Open.

IMHO, nothing wrong with playing in 4:15-4:30 for a 4-some of amateurs. That said , was able to get through at Ballantrae this past Wed in 3.5. 4 decent golfers in carts, empty course.
                  The PGA Tour should never be used as an example in a pace of play debate.

We play our rounds on the GTA Am Tour in approx 4hrs.

Comment

The PGA Tour should never be used as an example in a pace of play debate.

We play our rounds on the GTA Am Tour in approx 4hrs.
                    I agree. We're not playing this game for a living. We don't get put on the clock if our round slows down with possible penalty of strokes being added if we don't speed up. Even if a marshal was authorized to add strokes to our score, is it going to affect our bank account? They have more leeway time-wise than we do because courses just give us a time par that we should try to stay within. So all we have to worry about is pissing off the people behind us because ONE slow group can slow down the entire course for the rest of the day.
                    U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

Originally posted by synergy View Post
                      keeping my head down right through each shot
                      I hope you mean keeping your eye on the ball instead the literal term of keeping your head down, because its the biggest myth in golf, and if you "keep your head down" through the entire swing your neck must be sore.

Comment

Originally posted by goshawk View Post
                        I agree. We're not playing this game for a living. We don't get put on the clock if our round slows down with possible penalty of strokes being added if we don't speed up. Even if a marshal was authorized to add strokes to our score, is it going to affect our bank account? They have more leeway time-wise than we do because courses just give us a time par that we should try to stay within. So all we have to worry about is pissing off the people behind us because ONE slow group can slow down the entire course for the rest of the day.
                        I don't disagree. My point in raising the speed pros play was simply to point that many people think they play quickly, when in fact they don't.

The target times that most courses set for 18 is acceptable to me. On a fairly busy course of 6500 yrds , 4:15 -4:30 is perfectly fine, realizing that once in a while I will get a 5 hr round but will also get the odd 3.5 hr round.
                        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                          I don't disagree. My point in raising the speed pros play was simply to point that many people think they play quickly, when in fact they don't.

The target times that most courses set for 18 is acceptable to me. On a fairly busy course of 6500 yrds , 4:15 -4:30 is perfectly fine, realizing that once in a while I will get a 5 hr round but will also get the odd 3.5 hr round.
                          Understood, and I agree.

What bothers me is the number of golfers who expect to finish 18 holes in 3 hours or less, even on a busy course. That's just completely unrealistic. If they expect this every time out, they should be the first group out in the morning. It's very rare to see someone playing "speed golf", but I've seen it at RH very early in the morning, with that group finishing in just over 2 hours (a regular 3some). But that's a discussion for another thread.

Back to the original thought of this one, if your head stays down throughout the swing you may eventually need some chiropractor intervention. If what I'm reading from Synergy's post is true, keeping your "eyes" on the ball through impact is a great way to stay in the shot until it's gone. I tried to teach my students to "allow the back shoulder to turn the head" rather than "peeking" to see where it went before impact.
                          U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

Played 36 holes today on two packed courses, both rounds were just under 4 hours each walking, nobody was rushing and everyone was happy.
                            By the way, it was an amazing fall weekend of golf.

Comment

What I meant about slowing down, was that we typically play in about 3-3.5 hours, so playing a bit longer at 4-4.25 hours, felt great. More time to asses the shot ahead, more time to check alignment, stance and address the ball properly. Didn't spend all that extra time at address, but a little better course management thinking about the shot ahead. And a bit more time putting.
                              – Greg

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X