Collapse

Again I ask about keepng an HC

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Again I ask about keepng an HC

I am glad I am not playing with you. You might be a super guy, but I will not golf with someone who plays do overs. It is a horrible way to set a pace and it destroys the rhythm. A poor player still has rhythm, a do over player has none.

Originally posted by Under3 View Post
    So I want to be 100% clear..... No one here who keeps a HC has ever once taken an extra putt, tried another shot over, practiced or tried the chip again, re-did their putt, or try a shot out of the bunker (like I usually try on the replica road hole or from a different deck on #17@ wooden sticks) to see what they may have missed or done incorrectly the first time or just for fun??? All of those would result in an improper HC (or an invalid score).

Again what I said is that I am scoring properly my original ball, but am hitting additional shots throughout the round.

My bad......

Comment

I am glad I am not playing with you. You might be a super guy, but I will not golf with someone who plays do overs. It is a horrible way to set a pace and it destroys the rhythm. A poor player still has rhythm, a do over player has none. I remember the pro at Cherry Downs always said" Any idiot can do it a second time! and he meant it"

So I want to be 100% clear..... No one here who keeps a HC has ever once taken an extra putt, tried another shot over, practiced or tried the chip again, re-did their putt, or try a shot out of the bunker (like I usually try on the replica road hole or from a different deck on #17@ wooden sticks) to see what they may have missed or done incorrectly the first time or just for fun??? All of those would result in an improper HC (or an invalid score).

Again what I said is that I am scoring properly my original ball, but am hitting additional shots throughout the round.

My bad......

Comment

Let me put it to you another way: did I really score a 147 break in snooker if I just potted the colored balls in whatever order at the end?

Because that is what you are doing. If you never enter anything where your handicap comes into play in any way, then, fine, you only have to worry about what your mouth says. but if you do anything with a handicap, well, then see above.

But for the love of god/insertdeityhere, stop trying to get your disregard for any rules justified.

Comment

Originally posted by Pubknight View Post
          You are actually allowed, within the rules, to practice putt after you have holed out (rule 7-2 I think).
          So, in that respect, yes, I've done that... within the rules... and not invalidated my handicap.
          As for the rest of the antics. No.
          If I'm taking multiple shots from anywhere, it's something I'm doing during a dusk practice round, and the score isn't getting posted.

On the plus side, it's nice to hear you are now putting the ball Anthony.
          Not to hijack thread, but I have always been confused about not posting scores and practice rounds. How are they permitted?

Comment

Whatever.. I play 2 balls on occasion (not every hole or every shot) and post my scores (first ball).. I'll also drop a few balls in the fairway, hit a couple extra on a par 3 etc. etc. if I have time. So what?
            TM M2 D-type 9.5 Accra CS1 70
            TM Jetspeed tour 19* Accra CS1 80
            TM M2 tour 4-9 Accra ICWT 95
            Callaway X-Forged 48, 52, 58, 64 Pro Modus3 105
            Nike method MC3i

Osprey Valley Century Club
            100 holes - May 2, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Pingnut View Post
              Whatever.. I play 2 balls on occasion (not every hole or every shot) and post my scores (first ball).. I'll also drop a few balls in the fairway, hit a couple extra on a par 3 etc. etc. if I have time. So what?
              Because to the rules gawds on here your going to be a cheater. And we should all care what they think.

Comment

Originally posted by tgnwoohoo View Post
                Because to the rules gawds on here your going to be a cheater. And we should all care what they think.
                The difference is that Pingnut doesn't care what we think while Anth, err, Under0 thinks we should all yield to his will.
                I like big putts and I cannot lie
                You other putters can't deny
                That when a putt goes in with an itty bitty pace
                You're gonna fist pump in their face - Sir Putts-A-Lot

It's how well you golf fast!!!!

Comment

I post this not to troll, but seriously wonder about people's preoccupation with rules, when none of you are pro's (at least 99%) or playing for purses.
                  The only one that seems to be preoccupied in this thread is you. Just because a golfer plays by the rules they're preoccupied? Take hockey as an example; some (me) like to play organized hockey with rules and refs. Others (you) like to play shinny. Would you say the people playing organized hockey are somehow obsessed with the rules?
                  We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
                  Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
                  Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
                  Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
                  Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
                  Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
                  Srixon Star XV
                  Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Originally posted by tgnwoohoo View Post
                    Geez for a guy that begged to be tossed from the forum you just can't stay away can you.
                    In The Ogio
                    Driver - Titleist TS4 w/Diamana
                    Fairway Wood - KZG CH-II 3 wood w/Accra HF
                    Hybrids - Nakashima NX 3 and 4 w/Accra HF
                    Irons - Wilson FG Tour V2 w/KBS Tours
                    Wedges - Wilson FG Tours w/TT DG SPinners
                    Putter - Scotty Cameron Red X​
                    MEMBER OF THE 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2018 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Just like any other sports, handicapping is a joke. Just play by the real rules of the game and in competition, the best man wins. Period. If you can't handle the level of the playing field, play recreational golf not competitively or try video games with fictional attributes.

Show up, win, or lose, and leave.

The same crap surfaces in slowpitch softball. "This guy is a C rated player, we just got knocked out by a C team in Mens E..." I always say, show up and beat the other team. If you don't, then it's not time to conspire who was a ringer and this and that.

All the damn time with this scenario...

You know what the best tournaments are, the ones I go into thinking I'll have a career day and put up a real score, only to be beaten. I know I tried, and I wasn't the best.

I still don't understand why anyone would gloat or care for a handicapped win. You didn't beat the guy, you came up 10 shots short in fact but because you have a 14 handicap you miraculously win.

Isn't playing with a handicap sandbagging off the get go?

FWIW I maintain a 10-12 annually, I never enter anything where that matters or is taken into consideration. I have my reasons.

As for your playing multiple balls, I see no issue as long as you don't hold up play. Technically speaking, with all the rules, so many handicaps should be thrown out the window. I would say power carts are a Performance Enhancing tool for some, and the tee decks SHOULD matter more than they do on the slopes and such, in the sense that I don't think it should penalize the longer hitter so much. Heck, so many people you see register handicaps haven't figured out the 14 club rule yet let alone the rest of the rule book. And how many record handicaps with all the putts that their buddies gave them during the round that they didn't have to hit?
                      Last edited by FATZ; Sep 30, 2014, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FATZ View Post
                        Just like any other sports, handicapping is a joke. Just play by the real rules of the game and in competition, the best man wins. Period. If you can't handle the level of the playing field, play recreational golf not competitively or try video games with fictional attributes.

Show up, win, or lose, and leave.

The same crap surfaces in slowpitch softball. "This guy is a C rated player, we just got knocked out by a C team in Mens E..." I always say, show up and beat the other team. If you don't, then it's not time to conspire who was a ringer and this and that.

All the damn time with this scenario...

You know what the best tournaments are, the ones I go into thinking I'll have a career day and put up a real score, only to be beaten. I know I tried, and I wasn't the best.

I still don't understand why anyone would gloat or care for a handicapped win.

Isn't playing with a handicap sandbagging off the get go?

FWIW I maintain a 10-12 annually, I never enter anything where that matters or is taken into consideration. I have my reasons.
                        Great point. So how many Scratch golfers have you played lately for money and how did you fare?

Comment

Thanks for making me smile.

Originally posted by Petedv View Post
                          Great point. So how many Scratch golfers have you played lately for money and how did you fare?
                          This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

I refuse to play for money or gamble. To me, it ruins the point of a golf round or day. If I wanted to earn money, I shouldn't have sucked this hard and made it onto a tour.

I usually play with my dad and best friend, and or with other friends.

Golf is much more enjoyable recreationally instead of trying to pretend I can beat a scratch golfer by hiding behind a handicap. If the guy is a much better player, then he is a much better player period. End of story.

If I want a golf match, I will do it the right way. Straight up. Just like a high school golf match.

When it comes to Club Championships, I've always stayed clear of it. It's never a true reflection IMHO. Way too many people caught up in this handicap stuff.

Don't get me wrong, my boys want to play with caps, and we keep them. Doesn't help the fact I think it is total utter BS. Especially when they start arguing to win, when you had to give them double digits worth of shots from the get go. I personally wouldn't take it to that level with a scratch giving me 10 shots... But at the end of the day, even if I "Won" the person inside of me still thinks handicaps are bs and that I did not win. He was X shots lower than me still, you know?

That's why the only true form of competitive golf is the straight up kind. Lowest score abiding by the rules wins. If you can't win, then find a career goal in life.

I mean, would you watch or care for football where winner is decided not by the scores, but by covering a point spread? What about if you played Poker and the newb has an extra card every hand. Seems dumb. Call me old fashioned or whatever, but I find handicapping the source of many headaches and false pretenses. And if you gloat to me about winning a handicapped match, I may give you my sarcastic mmmmmhmmm reaction.

Originally posted by Petedv View Post
                            I smiled too, but, I don't gamble period let alone while playing the sport. I just couldn't justify taking cash from a golfer who beat me, i'd wanna beat him outright to earn that kind of privilege.

Originally posted by mpare View Post
                            Thanks for making me smile.
                            Last edited by FATZ; Sep 30, 2014, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by QuentinJJ View Post
                              Not to hijack thread, but I have always been confused about not posting scores and practice rounds. How are they permitted?
                              Basically because you aren't playing golf to post your best score.
                              Your handicap is considered a measure of your potential, with the implication being that you are giving your best effort every time out.

In a practice round you might be doing things like trying out different clubs off the tee... say you got a new 3 wood you wanted to put through its paces.
                              Moving the ball off the fairway to hit from some uneven lies.
                              Playing from the greenside bunker even if you hit the green.
                              Putting from different parts of the green, maybe even to spots where the hole isn't.
                              (You see this all the time if you go to a pro event practice round... pros putt to where they think the flags will be on certain days)

I've done practice rounds where all I was doing was working on approach shots to different parts of the green from my typical approach yardage... where the flag was was irrelevant.

In short, you aren't playing 'real golf' and thus there is no 'legit' score to post.
                              In my view, it's some of the best quality practice you can do.

Comment

So wouldn't busting out the second ball right away be practicing and not putting forward your "best" potential with undivided attention to the main ball and round at hand?

Originally posted by Pubknight View Post
                                Basically because you aren't playing golf to post your best score.
                                Your handicap is considered a measure of your potential, with the implication being that you are giving your best effort every time out.

In a practice round you might be doing things like trying out different clubs off the tee... say you got a new 3 wood you wanted to put through its paces.
                                Moving the ball off the fairway to hit from some uneven lies.
                                Playing from the greenside bunker even if you hit the green.
                                Putting from different parts of the green, maybe even to spots where the hole isn't.
                                (You see this all the time if you go to a pro event practice round... pros putt to where they think the flags will be on certain days)

I've done practice rounds where all I was doing was working on approach shots to different parts of the green from my typical approach yardage... where the flag was was irrelevant.

In short, you aren't playing 'real golf' and thus there is no 'legit' score to post.
                                In my view, it's some of the best quality practice you can do.
                                Last edited by FATZ; Sep 30, 2014, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                                X