Collapse

The Inner Game of Golf

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Inner Game of Golf

What is it about this game that makes you think after shanking a drive off the fairway that you can hook the ball from the rough, around a tree, over a stream, to land on the green, just clearing the bunker and rolling it up to the pin, and not recognize until a millisecond after you strike the ball that it was an impossible shot from the get go?

Is I vanity, visualizing the impossible, saw a pro do it on TV, the lure of the perfect shot, failure to recognise the impossible, trying too hard to recover, the need for immediate self-gratification???

My on-course red flag signaling device is not working or my “Danger Will Robinson Danger” inner robot is malfunctioning.

Most times I know better but can’t keep myself from going for it anyway and end up paying the price. I am generally not a major risk taker, but on the golf course?

Am I doomed, or does discipline come with experience?

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Re: The Inner Game of Golf

A well shot hero shot feels a ton better than a successful safe shot. Too bad the hero shot isn't that probable but we still choose them like they are.
    I send pictures ~ through the mail ~ of buried treasures ~ and Humpback whales ~to famous people ~ I do not know ~ I sign "Sincerely, ~ Matthias Doe" ~ I await ~ their response...

Comment

Experience allows you to recognize a mistake when you make it again, so there's that.

Ain't a golfer alive who doesn't occasionally drift into that place in fantasyland where all shots go as envisioned.

Assuming you haven't bet the house on the possibility of success, why not try? That's why they invented ESC.

Comment

Let's call it the "Tin Cup" theory

Comment

It's part of the fascination with the game. Every once in a while we pull of a "career" shot and that draws us in to try it again.
          Balancing smart play with the gambler is something that just about all of us wrestle with.

Comment

You'll never hit the shot of your life if you don't try. Keep goin for it.

Comment

Originally posted by bogey5 View Post
              You'll never hit the shot of your life if you don't try. Keep goin for it.
              Probably not, but you'll score lower though. I'm amazed at the shots people attempt. Then again people don't generally add up their penalty strokes very well either.

Comment

This season I'm going to try the Traffic Light method.

Green Light - Safest way to go through intersection = safest shot choice with low reward
                Yellow Light - Some risk but some benefit = Medium risk shot with some reward
                Red Light - Running a red is a high risk. Proceed with extreme caution = High risk shot but big reward

Every shot you take on the course will probably have these 3 choices. I'm hoping to see a reduction in penalty strokes and turn the doubles and triples into bogeys and pars.
                It's not the wand. It's the wizard.

Comment

Originally posted by The McCleery Crow View Post
                  This season I'm going to try the Traffic Light method.

Green Light - Safest way to go through intersection = safest shot choice with low reward
                  Yellow Light - Some risk but some benefit = Medium risk shot with some reward
                  Red Light - Running a red is a high risk. Proceed with extreme caution = High risk shot but big reward

Every shot you take on the course will probably have these 3 choices. I'm hoping to see a reduction in penalty strokes and turn the doubles and triples into bogeys and pars.
                  It's been characterized as playing "smart golf". If you're really striking the ball well that round and are faced with a "red light" approach (but you've nailed this shot on occasion), take the chance. If your ball striking that round is suspect (or worse), you could be looking at a snowman! Pick your high risk shots carefully if you're attempting to keep the score down.
                  There's nothing un-heroic about laying up on a par 5 that you're doubtful of ever reaching with your best shot. A wedge onto the green is much easier than a longer iron from the next fairway or the woods.
                  U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

Originally posted by goshawk View Post
                    It's been characterized as playing "smart golf". If you're really striking the ball well that round and are faced with a "red light" approach (but you've nailed this shot on occasion), take the chance. If your ball striking that round is suspect (or worse), you could be looking at a snowman! Pick your high risk shots carefully if you're attempting to keep the score down.
                    There's nothing un-heroic about laying up on a par 5 that you're doubtful of ever reaching with your best shot. A wedge onto the green is much easier than a longer iron from the next fairway or the woods.

Thanks to goshawk and The McCleery Crow. I like this, a systemic approach to identifying and evaluating options, including consideration of how you feel that day. That should help instead of just "going with your gut". Still requires discipline, but in any event, once you have made a deliberate decision, you are more likely to be committed to the shot.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

I agree completely. Here's a bit more for you to consider. It will occasionally help you to consider the hole from the green back to the tee. For example, on a tight, but short, par 5 is the pin situated on the green in a position from which you can benefit, if you make an exceptional tee shot and a good second? If the answer is "No", then play safe on the tee shot and lay up your second to the spot that will give you the most comfortable distance and angle to the pin. On the other hand, if the pin is situated on the front part of a green that is protected by water on the back and the left, you may want to bust a drive and play to the right of the green where there is no trouble. If you miss your tee shot, you may still be able to save your par, and if you miss your second, you may still have an easy shot to the pin for a birdie, or at worse, a par.

Another thing that many forget is to consider where the best place to miss, if you're chipping, pitching or putting. Most people just fire at the pin without thinking, often leaving themselves with an awkward putt to the pin. They'd be better to ask themselves "Where should I leave this shot so as to give myself the easiest putt?" You'd be surprised how just doing this will lower your scores.

One last tip. Play in a few tournaments. You'd be surprised at the benefit that can be realized to your course management knowing that your score will be publicly posted. That sobering thought will keep you focused.

Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post
                      Thanks to goshawk and The McCleery Crow. I like this, a systemic approach to identifying and evaluating options, including consideration of how you feel that day. That should help instead of just "going with your gut". Still requires discipline, but in any event, once you have made a deliberate decision, you are more likely to be committed to the shot.
                      Last edited by mpare; Feb 17, 2015, 02:25 PM.
                      This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                      X