Collapse

Left(forward) hand low putting

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left(forward) hand low putting

Is anyone going to try it or is using it? I've been practicing indoors, I'm curious how distance control will be. Honestly it couldn't get much worse.

Re: Left(forward) hand low putting

if you are "flippy" through the strike, a lead hand low style grip will help with distance control.

Comment

Originally posted by Bern View Post
      Is anyone going to try it or is using it? I've been practicing indoors, I'm curious how distance control will be. Honestly it couldn't get much worse.
      I've been doing this for 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by golfunderpar18 View Post
        I've been doing this for 20 years.
        Jim Furyk's father was talking to Palmer and Nicklaus 25 years ago about putting and they both stated if they could do it over they would have both started left hand low when they were kids
        Driver - Cleveland Classic 290 - 10.5- Miyazaki Stiff -- Taylor Made Burner 3 and 5 wood
        23* and 26* Adams Idea Tech hybrids both with Fubuki 65HY S
        6 - W - Srixon Z 745 - Dynamic Gold S300
        52* - 56* Cobra Tour Trusty
        Scotty Cameron GoLo #7 --- Kia Ma Imola 8

Comment

The theory is that the lead hand is most likely to be the non-dominant hand. Using this grip puts less pressure on the dominant hand/arm to initiate the downswing of the putting stroke. It also lowers the lead shoulder a bit at set-up (reverse of your golf swing where the dominant shoulder is lowered). Theory is that lowering the lead shoulder relaxes this shoulder and helps generate the necessary "force" of the stroke.
          U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

I was compelled to resort to the claw a few years ago. However, this winter I have been practicing left hand low in my dinning room. In the past, I had problems with distance control using left hand low. We'll see what this year offers.
            This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Originally posted by mpare View Post
              I was compelled to resort to the claw a few years ago. However, this winter I have been practicing left hand low in my dinning room. In the past, I had problems with distance control using left hand low. We'll see what this year offers.
              I have used a traditional grip style for the entirety of my golfing career. However, towards the end of last season I had an issue with pulling short (<5feet) putts, I experimented with the pencil grip for short putts and haven't looked back. It is worth noting that since I only do it when close to the hole, adjusting for pace was a non-issue.

Comment

I play right handed, but putt left. When I first played as an early teen, I had a double headed putter and just stated using it that way, not realising I was doing the reverse of my other clubs. So "dominant hand" may not apply to me.

But I did try and changing my putting grip this winter, indoors, to a right (forward) hand low grip. I also experimented with other types of claw grips.

I don't know if did not give it enough of a chance, but I just could not get the speed right. Finally just went back to a regular grip, but have refined to extend both index fingers, grip the extended index finger from the upper hand with the lower hand.

I am finding this is giving me a smoother arc both in the backswing and forward motion.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

I used it for about 3 years back in the early 90's then broke the neck on my favorite putter and when I switched from a anser style to a mallet , I went back to tradtional Putting grip.

I've toyed with it off an on especially as a quick fix to getting handsy but have not reverted back to it full time. I find accuracy is better, but feel is a bit different so It's a bit uncomfortable
                  "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

been using it for the last 5 or so years for putts less then 15ft and back to a regular grip for anything longer then 15 i find i do have more speed control and smoother swing with the lower left hand and when i need some power right hand low is the way i go
                    M1 460
                    SLDR 3HL
                    Rescue tp 09
                    R
                    SI
                    TP Forged 4-9
                    R EF 47, 51, 55, 60
                    Ghost Tour Daytona 12
                    TM Tour Preferred X

Comment

All you righties just wanna be like us smarter and cooler lefties.

Ive tried it but cant get comfortable with it.

Comment

Originally posted by goshawk View Post
                        The theory is that the lead hand is most likely to be the non-dominant hand. Using this grip puts less pressure on the dominant hand/arm to initiate the downswing of the putting stroke. It also lowers the lead shoulder a bit at set-up (reverse of your golf swing where the dominant shoulder is lowered). Theory is that lowering the lead shoulder relaxes this shoulder and helps generate the necessary "force" of the stroke.
                        So in theory, for me being RH dominant and putting LH'd, this wouldn't be a good way for me to try putting?

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
                        TM SLDR 10.5*
                        TM SLDR 3W & TM V-Steel 5W
                        TM Rescue 22*
                        4-PW Mix of Mizuno MX-25's and TM RBZ's
                        Wedges: Titleist SM 53* & 56*
                        Ping Ketch
                        Ball: What's on sale?

Comment

Originally posted by Leftygolfer30 View Post
                          So in theory, for me being RH dominant and putting LH'd, this wouldn't be a good way for me to try putting?
                          That's the theory. However, if you're already using your non-dominant hand low on the club, you should already feel the relaxed left side. The only way to change that up is to either putt right-handed with left low or stay left-handed and use your right hand low. But I think that may defeat the purpose of you already switching to the left side.
                          U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

Originally posted by goshawk View Post
                            That's the theory. However, if you're already using your non-dominant hand low on the club, you should already feel the relaxed left side. The only way to change that up is to either putt right-handed with left low or stay left-handed and use your right hand low. But I think that may defeat the purpose of you already switching to the left side.
                            Makes sense as the times I've fooled around on the putting green with right hand low felt too uncomfortable and made judging distance worse.

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
                            TM SLDR 10.5*
                            TM SLDR 3W & TM V-Steel 5W
                            TM Rescue 22*
                            4-PW Mix of Mizuno MX-25's and TM RBZ's
                            Wedges: Titleist SM 53* & 56*
                            Ping Ketch
                            Ball: What's on sale?

Comment

I had been working with the same instructor for years and the first time we had a putting lesson he asked what my issues were. I told him I was clueless on distance control. He asked me to entertain him during the lesson and go left-hand low just for the session. I've never looked back since. It helped my distance control immensely and just feels far more natural to me in general.
                              If you've been giving it some thought, I recommend going for it, you might be surprised!
                              Driver:Titleist 910 D2 w/ Diamana Ahina stiff
                              4-wood: Titleist 910F 17° w/ Diamana Ka'ali stiff
                              Hybrids: Titleist 910h 19 degree
                              Taylormade Burner 19/22 degree
                              Irons: Titliest AP2 w/ KBS Tour 90
                              Wedges: Titleist Vokey 60sm4, 56sm4, 52sm4
                              Putter: Ping Anser 2

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard