Collapse

Caddie Program - How feasible is it?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caddie Program - How feasible is it?

How many clubs in the GTA have a Caddie Program and how helpful is it for both caddies and clubs?
    Driver -Titleist 913 Diamana D+ 72 x5ct S shaft
    Metal woods - 13* Titleist 980F Strong 3
    Hybrid - 19 * and 21*Titleist 585H
    Irons - Titleist AP2 712 5-PW
    SW - 56* Titleist Vokey Spin Mill
    GW - 52* Titleist Vokey Spin Mill
    Cleveland 588 60* Lob wedge
    Putter _ Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5
    Bag- Titleist
    Ball - Pro-V1x or Bridgestone B330 RX

NOTHING GREAT WAS EVER ACHIEVED WITHOUT ENTHUSIASM

Re: Caddie Program - How feasible is it?

Originally posted by Mersey View Post
    How many clubs in the GTA have a Caddie Program and how helpful is it for both caddies and clubs?

There are only a handful of Private clubs in the GTA that have a caddie program. Most are the elite high end clubs lime The National, Magna and Toronto GC. In may cases the caddie is more of a forecaddie giving yardage ranking bunkers and locating the ball.
    Outside of that it's pretty non existant. Too hard to find skilled kids, college players and anyone else capable of really being a true caddy. In the US they're everywhere.

Comment

There use to be a caddie program at Settlers Ghost but I don't think it lasted very long. Only public one I ever ran into in Ontario.

Comment

Magna, The National, and Beacon Hall all have strong caddie programs. Hamilton as well. I can say to a fact that some of the caddies at these clubs are full-time caddies who split their time up here during the summer, and caddie at equally high end clubs south of the border during the winter.

Some are college players, some are just guys who started young and enjoy the lifestyle.

For anyone interested, the book "Loopers" is an interesting look into the career club caddie life...

Comment

I thought if clubs initiate a caddie program it might allow the game to grow seeing that interest in the game is slowly in decline.
          Kids can learn first hand the etiquette and rules of the game see first hand the experiences of different types of golfers. It might help revive the game.
          It may also introduce clubs to a new generation of clients.
          Though I'm not sure how much these caddies would be compensated.
          Bag- Titleist

Comment

Originally posted by Mersey View Post
            I thought if clubs initiate a caddie program it might allow the game to grow seeing that interest in the game is slowly in decline.
            Kids can learn first hand the etiquette and rules of the game see first hand the experiences of different types of golfers. It might help revive the game.
            It may also introduce clubs to a new generation of clients.
            Though I'm not sure how much these caddies would be compensated.
            As someone who caddied for 8 years starting nearly 20 years ago at one of the few clubs in the GTA that has a program, I don't see any correlation between caddy programs and the revival of the game.

Besides that, they still pay caddies the same rate they paid me 20 years ago and kids can make more money working an hourly rate at minimum wage and paying to play golf than they can as a caddy nowadays.

In the U.S. kids have the opportunity to earn college scholarships and get paid well in order to help fund college. A lot also provide the opportunity to be part of a coaching/elite training program.

Apart from that, there are numerous higher end golf courses throughout the U.S. that allow caddies of any age to make a decent living and it's actually quite the viable occupation. One that also keeps you healthy and can see you visit some of the most beautiful places in the world.

Canada IMHO simply does not have the golf culture to support such caddy programs and they won't make a difference to the participation rate. You can use the U.S. as an example (there are plenty caddy programs and golf struggles more than here).
            Last edited by AverageJoe; Sep 17, 2016, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Beacon Hall has a bit of a different caddy program. They have a squad of juniors who are available to caddy Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday (and other times if you arrange in advance). they range in age from about 15 to early 20's and range in experience from very green to quite experienced. Caddies are paid a per round rate that is a little more than what a cart would cost and they get golfing and practice privileges. They also help out a bit around the back shop if they don't get a caddy assignment. Regularly, the assistants in the pro shop offer instruction to the caddies as well. Members contribute to a caddy scholarship fund to help pay for education expenses when they become college age. Overall, it seems to work out very well for everyone. Critical to have space on the tee sheet so caddy access to golf course doesn't interfere with member play.

Comment

[QUOTE=AverageJoe;1

Besides that, they still pay caddies the same rate they paid me 20 years ago and kids can make more money working an hourly rate at minimum wage and paying to play golf than they can as a caddy nowadays.

You're out of date on this one. Caddying today at finer courses is all about the tips. They can make in one loop for 4 hours a day's wages at a minimum wage job. And tournament tips can be double if you're good.

Comment

Originally posted by Badcaddie View Post
                  You're out of date on this one. Caddying today at finer courses is all about the tips. They can make in one loop for 4 hours a day's wages at a minimum wage job. And tournament tips can be double if you're good.
                  I'm not out of the loop at all and it was always about the tips. I've taken caddies in Canada multiple times at multiple courses in recent years and have friends who have kids who loop at various courses.

Your comments are correct in the U.S. because they have a fine starting wage. In Canada, it's not true at all save for one location.

How many times do you think people are tipping double the cost of the caddy? The starting cost will determine the average tip you make. And when it's so low as it is here, good luck.

Comment

Retired in 2008 and back then I was asked to write a few letters of recommendation for students starting in the Hamilton Golf and Country Club caddie program - rate then was 19 to 28 dollars per loop depending on your caddie rating - plus tips - they also had show pay which was 12 dollars if you were not picked to caddie that day
                    Driver - Cleveland Classic 290 - 10.5- Miyazaki Stiff -- Taylor Made Burner 3 and 5 wood
                    23* and 26* Adams Idea Tech hybrids both with Fubuki 65HY S
                    6 - W - Srixon Z 745 - Dynamic Gold S300
                    52* - 56* Cobra Tour Trusty
                    Scotty Cameron GoLo #7 --- Kia Ma Imola 8

Comment

Originally posted by cuonthe1t View Post
                      Retired in 2008 and back then I was asked to write a few letters of recommendation for students starting in the Hamilton Golf and Country Club caddie program - rate then was 19 to 28 dollars per loop depending on your caddie rating - plus tips - they also had show pay which was 12 dollars if you were not picked to caddie that day
                      This is a question, not a statement.

How does this fly under Ontario labour laws? Minimum wage is 11.25 per hour now I think. A walking caddie is on the bag for 4.5 hours so don't they have to pay them almost $50 per round? Or does this fall under the "Servers" minimum wage where tips are expected to make up the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by AverageJoe View Post
                        As someone who caddied for 8 years starting nearly 20 years ago at one of the few clubs in the GTA that has a program, I don't see any correlation between caddy programs and the revival of the game.

In the U.S. kids have the opportunity to earn college scholarships and get paid well in order to help fund college. A lot also provide the opportunity to be part of a coaching/elite training program.

Apart from that, there are numerous higher end golf courses throughout the U.S. that allow caddies of any age to make a decent living and it's actually quite the viable occupation. One that also keeps you healthy and can see you visit some of the most beautiful places in the world.

Canada IMHO simply does not have the golf culture to support such caddy programs and they won't make a difference to the participation rate. You can use the U.S. as an example (there are plenty caddy programs and golf struggles more than here).
                        What on earth are you talking about? I used to caddie at the National from 2007-2012 and made $100 minimum a round. I had guys who would give me $200+. You can make way more caddying than you can minimum wage.

Comment

Hamilton ranges from $26-$38 based on your classification and you are not supposed to accept tips

Comment

Originally posted by Pete12345 View Post
                            What on earth are you talking about? I used to caddie at the National from 2007-2012 and made $100 minimum a round. I had guys who would give me $200+. You can make way more caddying than you can minimum wage.
                            I'm talking about the majority of caddies. Not the one or two who can get certain players, groups, etc.

Funny enough I have experience at the National and your own experience was one reserved for a select few caddies.

But whatever. I'm not going to argue. I urge anyone who thinks they can make good cash caddying to go ahead and do so. It's not my concern.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete12345 View Post
                              What did you have to do for $200??

Kidding.

I guess very club is different. The National is not your typical club so it's likely the high end of the spectrum.

Hamilton, $26-$38 is probably just higher than average so might be fair to say $20 a loop?
                              Bag- Titleist

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X