Used Clubs and Equipment at ridiculous prices

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Used Clubs and Equipment at ridiculous prices

Originally posted by Sportsyard View Post
    Straight from Titleist. Its actually a rather interesting situation. Titleist, selling to a US company with a new start-up in Canada.... who then plans to re-sell the product online in Canada from a .CA address.

Last year GT left the demo business. Now that the balance sheet is cleaned up, I would absolutely expect that they get back in.

Right now there are multiple mouth's to feed for used product and there isn't enough of it to go around. Used prices are going to increase substantially in 2017. and demo costs for the secondary channel buyers are going to increase. Its an incredibly cut throat business now.... it what was already a slim margin game.

These are some of the key players

GolfAvenue - GT's trade-in program
    Global Value Commerce - New CDN Operation
    Sweetspot Discount Golf - Western CDN Green Grass Trade In Program
    Fore Golfers Only - Regional Trade In Program + Close Out Buyer
    Sportsyard - Ontario Green Grass Trade In Program
    Well at least I like two of the Players in this new game....
    Pxg Gen 4. Project X hzrdus

Srixon 3 Hybrid

Srixon 4 Hybrid

Mizuno Mp H4 4-PW

Mizuno S18 Gap Wedge 51

Mizuno S 22 56 wedge

Odyssey Ten Tour Lined Broomstick

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
      Why not ask $674 and haggle down to $619 and a bag of tees?

I think we should open a whole new forum to discuss and speculate on asking prices on eBay and kijiji. Not limited just to golf equipment.

Would be riveting, I'm sure.
      Well I know, not as riveting as the Donald Trump thread..
      M1 430 9.5 Speeder 661 X
      M1 3 H/L Speeder 757 X
      Mizuno MP-4 3-PW
      Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60
      TA Tru-Milled 303SS

Comment

Originally posted by racmbs View Post
        Anything well below market value. Easy example is buddies harp on the asking for the MP4's which to me, illustrates little knowledge on actual value. He probably thinks they are worth $400 because they were released in 2013 and is paying no mind to the actual condition of the product, which should dictate a starting point on asking. From there, desirability and so on...

Here's one to chew on: have my hand-made Gibbons listed for $150 Canadian, never used and was over $200USD when new. I factor in that exchange and duties is my problem and will eat that cost in order to sell. I'm all for taking reasonable offers and will respond accordingly, but what would you say to the douche who takes time to send an offer of $75, because "he can get the same on eBay", for less? You can guess my reply...
        Sometimes the seller knows the exact "market value" and prices it accordingly ... but then runs into someone who's ignorant. I guess in that case, the seller can just price it firm.

Seriously though, unless someone's price is firm, every buyer would like a deal and is figuring they can offer something less than ask. Personally, while offering less than the ask could cause one to miss out on an item, I don't think anyone should take offense at an offer that's say 20% less than ask.

On your second point, another wise man told me there's always going to be buyers who say they can get it cheaper somewhere else.
        WITB: clubs, balls, tees, Advil and a candlestick (just in case)

Comment

I find it almost better to give it charity or someone in need

Comment

After reading some opinions elsewhere on the state of the equipment industry and educating myself a little more, I can see and accept the posts and replies of my ignorance regarding this issue. This does not change my opinion however. The game is becoming only affordable and intriguing for the rich. If this continues, our great discount golf companies will be no more, courses will continue to deteriorate, and the game will never grow. The consensus indicated golf companies overcharged in times of prosperity while golf was exploding, but realized along the way, they did not leave much room to continue with large price increases. The market just would not bear it. Seems realistic i would assume? Golf companies continued to increase R&D, marketing, and other overhead to manufacture volume and try to convince the public to buy the new and "game changing" product, however did not forecast the huge decline in golfers and the economy as a whole, not to mention smarter buyers, knowing most products are really not much better than the last. So here we are clubs being manufactured in China or Malaysia and sold to us for- $1600 irons, $700 drivers, $200 wedges, $300+ putters, $300 shoes, $150 clothing and $5 for a golf ball. I think its time to start over, from the ground up. I mean if a company like TaylorMade is among discussion for astronomical losses, something does not make sense. Maybe the sponsored tour players should pay their respective companies back when they miss cuts or perform poorly?
            M1 430 9.5 Speeder 661 X
            M1 3 H/L Speeder 757 X
            Mizuno MP-4 3-PW
            Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60
            TA Tru-Milled 303SS

Comment

Originally posted by Hope469 View Post
              After reading some opinions elsewhere on the state of the equipment industry and educating myself a little more, I can see and accept the posts and replies of my ignorance regarding this issue. This does not change my opinion however. The game is becoming only affordable and intriguing for the rich. If this continues, our great discount golf companies will be no more, courses will continue to deteriorate, and the game will never grow. The consensus indicated golf companies overcharged in times of prosperity while golf was exploding, but realized along the way, they did not leave much room to continue with large price increases. The market just would not bear it. Seems realistic i would assume? Golf companies continued to increase R&D, marketing, and other overhead to manufacture volume and try to convince the public to buy the new and "game changing" product, however did not forecast the huge decline in golfers and the economy as a whole, not to mention smarter buyers, knowing most products are really not much better than the last. So here we are clubs being manufactured in China or Malaysia and sold to us for- $1600 irons, $700 drivers, $200 wedges, $300+ putters, $300 shoes, $150 clothing and $5 for a golf ball. I think its time to start over, from the ground up. I mean if a company like TaylorMade is among discussion for astronomical losses, something does not make sense. Maybe the sponsored tour players should pay their respective companies back when they miss cuts or perform poorly?
              You've listed prices at the very high end, which are way above average so hardly a good basis to gauge things. I've never paid $300 for a pair of shoes or $5 for a golf ball for that matter.

I am curious how you think the golf club industry should be started over.

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
              TM SLDR 10.5*
              TM SLDR 3W & TM V-Steel 5W
              TM Rescue 22*
              4-PW Mix of Mizuno MX-25's and TM RBZ's
              Wedges: Titleist SM 53* & 56*
              Ping Ketch
              Ball: What's on sale?

Comment

Originally posted by Leftygolfer30 View Post
                You've listed prices at the very high end, which are way above average so hardly a good basis to gauge things. I've never paid $300 for a pair of shoes or $5 for a golf ball for that matter.

Well I see your point. If you wonder into GT and look for a pair of new shoes I think you will see the prices range $250-$400. The discounted footjoys are still $200. And a dozen pro v would be $60 no? I am fine with you being incredibly politically correct, cuz I am not.
                M1 430 9.5 Speeder 661 X
                M1 3 H/L Speeder 757 X
                Mizuno MP-4 3-PW
                Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60
                TA Tru-Milled 303SS

Comment

Originally posted by Leftygolfer30 View Post

Where does the industry go from here. If you look at the statistics on how many people have stopped golfing and how much golf interest in on the decline it is staggering.
                  M1 430 9.5 Speeder 661 X
                  M1 3 H/L Speeder 757 X
                  Mizuno MP-4 3-PW
                  Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60
                  TA Tru-Milled 303SS

Comment

Originally posted by Hope469 View Post
                    Taylor Made did this to themselves with their product cycles and pricing structures. As for balls, Costco has proven a top ball can be sold for a little over $1 per ball. Ive never spent anywhere near $300 for shoes. I'd be interested to know how many pairs of shoes GT carries that top out over $300.

Comment

Originally posted by parskiandhutch View Post
                      Taylor Made did this to themselves with their product cycles and pricing structures. As for balls, Costco has proven a top ball can be sold for a little over $1 per ball. Ive never spent anywhere near $300 for shoes. I'd be interested to know how many pairs of shoes GT carries that top out over $300.
                      The very top end Ecco, Foot-Joy and Adidas are in that range. There are dozens of different shoes from them, Nike, and Puma under $200.
                      In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 10*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
                      Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
                      TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                      TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
                      PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
                      TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
                      Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
                      TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

Originally posted by rgk5 View Post
                        The very top end Ecco, Foot-Joy and Adidas are in that range. There are dozens of different shoes from them, Nike, and Puma under $200.
                        The web site shows 5 pairs that are ~ $ 300 + with tax.

IMO, even $ 200 + tax is ridiculous. Would love to know the cost structure / profit margins (maker and retailer) on these.
                        WITB: clubs, balls, tees, Advil and a candlestick (just in case)

Comment

Originally posted by parskiandhutch View Post
                          I find it hard to believe TaylorMade is the only company treading deep water currently. And as for Costco, really? How can they make money on $1 a ball in the long run. Many companies have tried to compete with the ball, and there are already cheaper options out there. Who knows i guess.. the costco brand has really taken off for consumers shopping for anything, even though savings are really not that significant in the grand scheme of things, more so convenient and appealing.
                          M1 430 9.5 Speeder 661 X
                          M1 3 H/L Speeder 757 X
                          Mizuno MP-4 3-PW
                          Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60
                          TA Tru-Milled 303SS

Comment

Originally posted by ManFromMoffat View Post
                            The web site shows 5 pairs that are ~ $ 300 + with tax.

IMO, even $ 200 + tax is ridiculous. Would love to know the cost structure / profit margins (maker and retailer) on these.
                            Clothes, bags, and shoes keep the lights on! As they do for any other retail store that sells similar items. I agree that some shoe prices are quite expensive and not everyone can afford them. For the 5 shoes you listed at over $300, there are 12 pairs of shoes that are below $150 with tax (some with the trade in event, some not), and all of the ones you listed all qualify for the trade in event taking them below $300 per pair. I wouldn't pay $300 for a pair of shoes, and neither would you, but the top end Ecco, FootJoy and Adidas 360s are consistently some our best sellers and are scarce to find come mid June. A lot of people don't screw around with their feet and would rather pay an extra $100 for something that is going to last them that extra few years and be super comfortable right out of the box. While others choose to buy something low-mid level and wear it to death for a year and a half and then repeat it again. Who's really in the wrong? Buying $300 shoes that are going to last for 5 years if you take care of them, or buying cheap ones and having to replace them every 18 months? Same as cars, some people buy new and try to get 10 years out of them at ~$25,000 while some people buy beaters for $5000 and run it till it explodes and have to look for new ones and pay for expensive mechanics every few years. Both end up paying about the same, it's just how you get to the end goal.

So there are definitely options for a good pair of shoes to fit any budget. Certain stores might even have more options, as the website does not have every shoe listed. I know we have quite a few pairs of clearance Adidas, Puma, Nike, and Ecco shoes not listed that are below $120 pre tax.

Comment

Originally posted by Phatchrisrules View Post
                              Clothes, bags, and shoes keep the lights on! As they do for any other retail store that sells similar items. I agree that some shoe prices are quite expensive and not everyone can afford them. For the 5 shoes you listed at over $300, there are 12 pairs of shoes that are below $150 with tax (some with the trade in event, some not), and all of the ones you listed all qualify for the trade in event taking them below $300 per pair. I wouldn't pay $300 for a pair of shoes, and neither would you, but the top end Ecco, FootJoy and Adidas 360s are consistently some our best sellers and are scarce to find come mid June. A lot of people don't screw around with their feet and would rather pay an extra $100 for something that is going to last them that extra few years and be super comfortable right out of the box. While others choose to buy something low-mid level and wear it to death for a year and a half and then repeat it again. Who's really in the wrong? Buying $300 shoes that are going to last for 5 years if you take care of them, or buying cheap ones and having to replace them every 18 months? Same as cars, some people buy new and try to get 10 years out of them at ~$25,000 while some people buy beaters for $5000 and run it till it explodes and have to look for new ones and pay for expensive mechanics every few years. Both end up paying about the same, it's just how you get to the end goal.

So there are definitely options for a good pair of shoes to fit any budget. Certain stores might even have more options, as the website does not have every shoe listed. I know we have quite a few pairs of clearance Adidas, Puma, Nike, and Ecco shoes not listed that are below $120 pre tax.

Great post Chris,

That just about covers and explains the differences on how consumers look at things. Of course the variable is affordability, as you mentioned. We all have our comfort zone, and we're all different.

The one thing I've been harping about, (for quite some time now), is clothing pricing. Maybe I'm in the minority, but shirts, pants, and shorts seem so expensive. I can understand the argument with shoes, as the health of ones feet are a factor. You don't really get a health benefit from a shirt. Also, clothing wears, get's affected by the sun, and styles change.

I buy most of my golf wear at warehouse sales, or online. As much as I'd like to buy from GT, even the sale racks are often out of my range.
                              Bridgestone J715 10.5
                              Adams Tight Lies Titanium 13.5
                              Adams Super LS 17d.
                              Mizuno JPX-850 forged 4-PW
                              Scratch 8620 53d.
                              Callaway X-forged 58d.
                              Odyssey White Hot Tour #2
                              Srixon Q-star tour

Comment

Originally posted by Phatchrisrules View Post

Entirely agree with this and most all of your posts. I think the question remains will there be any stock of these lower priced shoes? I like to think I am a little more traditional and I don't really see or feel the comfort advantages with the running shoe models or some of the other non-traditional styles. For the most part I see only these choices for sales. I just want a traditional looking pair of white footjoys or Adidas where it won't break the bank. Maybe my timing has been off however have yet to see anything really. Just a plain white FootJoy contour style would be nice for less than $250-$300 tax in.
                                M1 430 9.5 Speeder 661 X
                                M1 3 H/L Speeder 757 X
                                Mizuno MP-4 3-PW
                                Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60
                                TA Tru-Milled 303SS

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays