Golf Clubs Stolen by passenger at Pearson

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golf Clubs Stolen by passenger at Pearson

just read this on CBC

Sydney Lia had planned to work on her golf swing with her coach after taking a flight home to Timmins, Ont., for the holidays, but her $5,000 custom clubs never made it to baggage claim, and then the police got involved.

I always rush to the oversize luggage pickup because I know it's easy for anybody to take them.

it hasn't happened to me yet but I've started to assemble a set of oldies but goodies that I will use for travel from now on

Bettinardi BEBG-1501 Staff Bag (Riding 14 Clubs)
    TRPX S-013 1W 9.5 | RomaRo Ray Type-R 5W+ 17 & UT 19 | United SBB1 Tour 3-PW & SBW2 53/57 | Bettinardi Queen Bee #6

Honma CB-3202 Stand Bag (Walking 12 Clubs)
    Baldo 8C Craft Brassy 2W 13 | George Spirit GTFW 5W 18 | Honma TW-U 21 & TW717M 4-PW | Romaro Alcobaca Stream Tour 58 | Bettinardi BB35

Re: Golf Clubs Stolen by passenger at Pearson

Originally posted by neova View Post
    just read this on CBC

Sydney Lia had planned to work on her golf swing with her coach after taking a flight home to Timmins, Ont., for the holidays, but her $5,000 custom clubs never made it to baggage claim, and then the police got involved.

I always rush to the oversize luggage pickup because I know it's easy for anybody to take them.

it hasn't happened to me yet but I've started to assemble a set of oldies but goodies that I will use for travel from now on
    Wow! That is terrible! I always manage to be at the large item claim before my bag comes out fortunately but if I do fly again I'll buy one of those "Tile" trackers and hide it in my bag. You'd be able to look at your phone and see where your bag is. Thief wouldn't know what hit them as you guide the cops to their location!

Comment

Good plan with the tracking device. I hope it works as advertised.

I've never had any damage nor lost my clubs at the airport, but when I did travel south with my clubs I always hung out at the oversize baggage claim before even looking for my regular luggage. The only thing in my luggage was clothes because I had my CPAP and laptop in my carry-on.....clothes are easy to replace and who would want to "borrow" that anyway!
      U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

Wow, just Wow

...I guess in this instance, CRIME did take a Holiday!?
        Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Never had an issue in all my time travelling but time to pay extra attention.

I am one of the guys that gets to the oversize area first so that I can get my bag.
          Pxg Gen 4. Project X hzrdus

Srixon 3 Hybrid

Srixon 4 Hybrid

Mizuno Mp H4 4-PW

Mizuno S18 Gap Wedge 51​

Mizuno S 22 56 wedge

Odyssey Ten Tour Lined Broomstick

Comment

This would be perfect if somebody was using the bag to smuggle and someone stole it and then ended up on border security. Imagine trying to explain that one.
            Pxg Gen 4. Project X hzrdus

Srixon 3 Hybrid

Srixon 4 Hybrid

Mizuno Mp H4 4-PW

Mizuno S18 Gap Wedge 51​

Mizuno S 22 56 wedge

Odyssey Ten Tour Lined Broomstick

Comment

I wonder how they arrived at the $5000 amount. $2000 sounds about right.

Comment

Originally posted by newy View Post
                I wonder how they arrived at the $5000 amount. $2000 sounds about right.
                $2K sounds low. If they were heavily customized then $5K isn't out of the question considering what clubs go for new. Certain custom shafts can definitely drive the price up as well.

If I looked at my bag and what it would take to replace it if I bought new from GT:

Driver $500
                3 wood $300
                hybrids $250x2
                irons $1300
                wedges $450
                Putter $400
                Bag $300
                Balls/gloves/etc. $100
                Rangefinder $400

I'm well over $4K and my bag is pretty stock. And that's before tax.
                MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Barring they were super-exotic shafts I could rebuild that bag for less than the d1ckhead theif said they were worth. Just sayin'...

Comment

Yah it's not hard to get up there. Remember it's replacement retail value assuming u gotta go buy it new not on sale. So I paid much less for my bag but if new everything it would be

Pretax my bag would be
                    Driver 500+ shaft upgrade charge
                    3w 300
                    5w 300
                    3h 200 +shaft upg
                    4-PW AP2 714 if u go 716 ur looking at 1400+ and they have upg shafts
                    2x wedges at 170each=340
                    Putter 270
                    Bag 250
                    Rangefinder 300
                    Balls 50+

That's close to 4K pre tax. That's not including my upgraded shaft charges and grips and the price to have Dan TLT retrofit my set. That would have me at prob another +500 bare minimum so 4500 pre tax.

Comment

Barring they were super-exotic shafts I could rebuild that bag for less than the d1ckhead theif said they were worth. Just sayin'...
                      and I could build mine for a lot less as well if I shopped around for used clubs, went on ebay, etc. which is basically what I did. But if they were stolen and had to be replaced with equivalent new clubs, I'd be going to GT route and looking for full value.

Comment

If we're talking full pop for new equivalent equipment then yes, i guess 5k is close. Wonder what an insurance company would give ya?

My guess is that the value is slightly inflated to get to the 5K mark so the cops can lay a more serious charge against the D-Bag.

Comment

If we're talking full pop for new equivalent equipment then yes, i guess 5k is close. Wonder what an insurance company would give ya?
                          full replacement value.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post
                            and I could build mine for a lot less as well if I shopped around for used clubs, went on ebay, etc. which is basically what I did. But if they were stolen and had to be replaced with equivalent new clubs, I'd be going to GT route and looking for full value.
                            When mine were stolen (along with my car) I got full replacement $$$.

I was on my way to an appointment for fitting at the downtown GT when my phone rang. It was the police, saying they'd found my car.

I asked if the clubs were still in the trunk. When he said "no", I said a quick prayer and told him I'd have to get back to him about the car....

Next hour or so was very much of a kid-in-a-candy-store feeling.

I was surprised how much the very average bag turned out to be worth, but wind jacket, rain jacket, hat, 2 dozen balls, gloves, etc. all add up. Was somewhere around $2500 or so, and that was 16 years ago.
                            "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                            ...Iggy

Comment

One of my fears of travelling is someone just picking up my luggage and walking off esp from the oversize pickup. It's mostly all honour system 'cause I've yet to be checked if the luggage I'm walking out with actually belongs to me. Glad they caught the fracker.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X