/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Finding a putting stroke is the hardest part of my game - Any others feel the same?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best cure for a bad putting game is work on your iron game as well as chipping and pitching. Putting is a lot easier when you get the ball close to the hole.
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

I do the opposite
      Been trying out the claw. I use pencil like grip on the lower hand when I use my broomstick. Feels natural
      when I try that with standard length putters feels odd. Though when I “claw” by hold the putter more like a saw with all four fingers I’m getting better results
      I thought it might be weird to go from cross handed to saw grip depending on the length and type of putt but I seeing the merits not having one standard grip for all putts

Comment

Originally posted by TheBaconator View Post

Even if you don't use the app, just spending more time on the practice green or on a mat at home will improve your putting.
        Have to agree with this. I spent a lot of time over the last two winters practice putting on a cheap putting matt in my basement.

I don't use a line on my ball, but instead focus on striking the ball on the alignment mark of the putter and rolling the ball down an imaginary target line the first 6 inches in front of the ball. That is what I practice.

A couple of things happen. A dead centre strike sounds with a nice "click". That, and aiming for a 6" target line on the path, rather than a short one on the ball, gets me a more consistent square face at impact, on the line I want. Those short nerve wracking putts are less daunting because I am not aiming at the hole, but just getting the ball down the first 6 inches...like any other putt.

My putting is now probably the best part of my game. I have reduced the number of 3 puts, have more one putts, and am consistently under 36 putts, usually in the low 30's.

Practicing this approach has given me a lot of confidence. My misses are now mostly on line but short, too much speed, or a misread. Practice has made those putts that are total miss-hits and "off from the get go" fewer and far between.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

You never hear it mentioned, but the one thing that I'll recommend it getting on a Sam Putt Lab and getting a putting lesson from a good instructor. I've always been a pretty good putter, but once I understood what I was doing wrong (and how to fix that), things improved tenfold.

I had a lesson about a year ago and in the weeks after that, got my handicap to an all time low point and ended up going 3 strokes lower than I'd ever been previously.

I'm booking in for an hour "tune up" with the same instructor again to fix any bad habits that may have crept back in.

All up, I dropped $150 on a 2.5 hour lesson and it was easily the best money that I've ever spent on my game.

Comment

Finding a putting stroke is not the hardest part of the game. It is actually the easiest. The hardest is finding the right putter for your stroke. Far too many ppl putt with the wrong putter. Face balance vs toe hang. Lie angle. Weight distribution. The best thing you can do to yourself is to keep your putting stroke you are comfortable and go get fitted for a putter that matches the stroke. I've gone to 75 degrees upright. That allows me to stand closer to the ball and have the putter closer to my body and have my eyes over the ball. With my stroke, the more flatter lie the putter is, the further away it will be from my body and the more arc it will cause. Everyone is different. YMMV. Everyone will have a natural stroke they are comfortable with so that is the easiest part

Comment

I'm not a professional but I play a lot of golf with a lot of different people at my club, 130+ rounds a year.
              In my experience, most people aren't bad putters, they are just really bad at green reading. Once they read a few greens poorly and make terrible putts, confidence goes out the window and they start second guess everything.

Find a flat putt on your practice green at club and make 10 putts from 3ft, 6ft and 12ft... If you are holing them or missing close, it's most likely your green reading.

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                The best cure for a bad putting game is work on your iron game as well as chipping and pitching. Putting is a lot easier when you get the ball close to the hole.
                Not for me. I’d rather have a 8 footer than 3 footer. Really really. I’m so bad. Lol.

Spent an hour practicing today. What worked best was tilting putter head so the heel is the only contact with ground, toe is slightly elevated. Seem to stabilize the stroke. I’ll try most anything at this stage.

Comment

Putt from the triangle and take the wrists out.

No idea, but I am burning cups from 8-15’ like crazy. Sometimes that go down….problem is, too many 20 footers…
                  Ping G430 9*, Ping Tour Chrome 65g Reg flex
                  Ping G430 Max 3w and 5w, 75g Ping Tour Chrome Reg flex
                  Ping G430 Max 22* Hybrid 85g Ping tour Max Reg flex
                  TM P790 irons, 5-AW, DG R300U 105gm
                  Ping Glide 54/12 and 58/08 wedges
                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 33”​

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse