Collapse

Average driving distances

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Average driving distances

In this morning’s Golfwrx Morning 9 newsletter, there was an interesting article. It had an article showing the average driving distance of each handicap range and age, based on information collected by Arccos. For example, for handicap’s between 15.0 -19.9 in the age group between 40-49, the average drive is 214 yards. For the age group 70-79, the average drive is 180 (I will be 74 in May, and although I no longer keep score, I would guess my handicap is probably about 17-19, and my drives are right around 180, so I believe this chart is correct). This chart proves that most average golfers overestimate how far they actually hit their driver. Also, the numbers in this chart clearly do not apply to anyone on this site (except me). For every number on the chart, the people on this site should add 100 yards. I have no idea how to add the chart to this post but you can find it by googling Golfwrx Morning 9 and look for the title that starts with “Rory’s epic drive”.

copy and paste :-)

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	178.0 KB ID:	3645381
    MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by Lionworld View Post
      1) This chart proves that most average golfers overestimate how far they actually hit their driver.

2) Also, the numbers in this chart clearly do not apply to anyone on this site (except me). For every number on the chart, the people on this site should add 100 yards.
      1) Yup. Most golfers when asked what their average driver is...they typically answer with their furthest drives.
      They don't average in those drives that only go 150-200 yards that hit trees, go OB and the point of entry into a penalty area. worm burner drives, etc.
      The same reason there are far more vanity caps than sandbagging caps.

2) I think you meant WRX...where everyone drives it 320 yards...just sayin.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post

Click image for larger version Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	178.0 KB ID:	3645381
        Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post

Click image for larger version Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	178.0 KB ID:	3645381
          Seems like 40 is the drop off point when we typically lose 10 yards on average for each decade we age.

I'm 62 and about an 8 cap....217 is about right for me.
          This average will also vary quite a bit dependant on course elevation and firmness of the course.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr22putt View Post
            1) Yup. Most golfers when asked what their average driver is...they typically answer with their furthest drives.
            They don't average in those drives that only go 150-200 yards that hit trees, go OB and the point of entry into a penalty area. worm burner drives, etc.
            The same reason there are far more vanity caps than sandbagging caps.

2) I think you meant WRX...where everyone drives it 320 yards...just sayin.
            You shouldn't use drives that hit trees nor should you use ones that hit the cart path and go 400 yards. Pro's average drives are measured on 2 holes a round regardless of where they finish and the holes are 180 degrees to each other and generally quite flat. There are many factors that can impact total distance. I'm not sure Arccos is the best way to measure it.

Comment

well that charts a downer.
              I'm gonna have drink. LOL

Do not go gentle into that good night.
              Rage, Rage against the diming of your ball's flight.

with apology to Dylan Thomas
              things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by Bern View Post

There are many factors that can impact total distance. I'm not sure Arccos is the best way to measure it.
                The distances are reportedly 90% accurate using Arccos. However, if you top a drive to the front of the tee deck or hit a tree 30 yards ahead, slice a drive into a pond 70 yards off the tee and drop ( common occurrences for amateur golfers) those distances will be included in the averages.

Perhaps they should be if one wants a true average, but if I hit 11 drives in a round that go 250 yards, top one 10 yards, hit a tree 30 yards away and a pond 70 yards away...... Arccos will calculate my average distance with the driver as being 204 yards, when 250 is probably more representative.

"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

They don't give the sample sizes. It seems hard to believe that anyone whose average drive is 212 yards could be a scratch golfer.

Comment

Not to brag but my average drive for golf is about 22kms.

Or did I misread what we are talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

The distances are reportedly 90% accurate using Arccos. However, if you top a drive to the front of the tee deck or hit a tree 30 yards ahead, slice a drive into a pond 70 yards off the tee and drop ( common occurrences for amateur golfers) those distances will be included in the averages.

Perhaps they should be if one wants a true average, but if I hit 11 drives in a round that go 250 yards, top one 10 yards, hit a tree 30 yards away and a pond 70 yards away...... Arccos will calculate my average distance with the driver as being 204 yards, when 250 is probably more representative.
                      What about a full on whiff? How does one count that?

Actually, your 250 yard calculation is more of a modal value than an average, which is probably what most people think of when estimating or calculating distances with clubs. When I pull out my 7i for a 147 yard shot, I am using the modal value I have dialed in for that club. I might get that "perfect" shot 6 1/2 times out of 10. The others are shanked, pulled, skulled, or fatted - but the 7i is still my 147 yard club.

Maybe this year it will only be my 140 yard club, but I will still pull it out for 147 yards shots, until I come clean and admit I really need a soft 6.

As for the driver, I used to be able to hit it 225 yards. Now I am lucky to crank out 200. When I get a really good drive, I think to myself that it must have gone over 200 yards - but it never does.

Age rated distance charts, if they included a "perceived" distance vs actual distance would probably show a squeued increase of perceived distance with advancing age, as a result of declining distances over time.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
                        Not to brag but my average drive for golf is about 22kms.

Or did I misread what we are talking about?
                        bada boom...try the veal, he is here all week.

Comment

Based on my average of around 240, I should be a 0-5 handicap. Yikes! I have work to do.

Comment

Originally posted by OKHC View Post
                            They don't give the sample sizes. It seems hard to believe that anyone whose average drive is 212 yards could be a scratch golfer.
                            its all relative to the length of the course they play. If they play white and under 6000 yards, that is very believable esp for the senior golfers who golf a lot. Their short game beats most young guys any day. Now the seniors prob take more gimme putts too

Comment

I think most 75 year old scratch golfers will be playing one of the forward tees, so 212 is reasonable. Especially with a sharp short game (all scratches have to have that) and playing from the fairway more often than not.

As Weirfan said, the average isn't the best number to use, we probably want to use the mean (which I think is better than the mode, but that's a nitpick).

I hit my 7i 150 when hit properly. That's what I'll use from the 150 marker, regardless of the fact that all my mishits are shorter. I'd rather mishit short into a greenside bunker, than pure a 6i into trouble at the back of the green. If I'm going to get into trouble (and often do) I'd rather it be from a bad strike than a good one.

The chart seem reasonable to me. My stats from my Garmin watch show I'm maybe 15 yards longer for my age and cap, but I make up for that with my short game.....
                              "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                              ...Iggy

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X