Collapse

The golf gods

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The golf gods

Last time I was at the range (Bathgates) was last Aug.

I really did "find something" ... more a combination "soup", but was hitting it as well as possible at the time.

Then I get / discover my prostrate problem.

Didn't hit another ball till the Sept city champ

I've been trying to figure out the golf swing / experiment for ~50 years.

I really have found "it" .

Kind of a "rediscovery".

I worked at Markland woods in the late 70's, back shop, progressed to asst pro.

When I started working there, I was about a 12 - 15 hdcp, first was on a golf course (Humber Valley) when I was 17, trying to break 100

After five years working at Markland, getting to play every day, I had an approximate 5-6 hdcp, would usually shoot 76-82 ....a few 74's 72's

Then one day, standing outside, practice swinging, I "thought" of yet another swing "move / thought" etc.

Nothing really complicated

Basically just make my normal swing motion using the least amount of tension possible, like you are throwing a ball or an object ... or moving anything else with your
    body in your daily life

The main reason golfers get tense is because of the "hit instinct", and getting tight before impact in an effort to hit the ball HARD !

This just locks up your muscles, and with tight wrists and hands, STOPS the clubhead motion, killing speed, throwing off the clubhead path. and all other kinds of UGLY

Using my "new" swing thought, I went out and shot 67 on the par 71 course

For some incredibly stupid reason, related to my bizarre personality and thinking ..... or just because "it's golf", I played hundreds of rounds after that, NOT using or able
    to feel the same swing

Yours is a perfect example of the enigma that is golf. That’s why we love it.

Originally posted by mstram View Post
    Last time I was at the range (Bathgates) was last Aug.

I really did "find something" ... more a combination "soup", but was hitting it as well as possible at the time.

Then I get / discover my prostrate problem.

Didn't hit another ball till the Sept city champ

I've been trying to figure out the golf swing / experiment for ~50 years.

I really have found "it" .

Kind of a "rediscovery".

I worked at Markland woods in the late 70's, back shop, progressed to asst pro.

When I started working there, I was about a 12 - 15 hdcp, first was on a golf course (Humber Valley) when I was 17, trying to break 100

After five years working at Markland, getting to play every day, I had an approximate 5-6 hdcp, would usually shoot 76-82 ....a few 74's 72's

Then one day, standing outside, practice swinging, I "thought" of yet another swing "move / thought" etc.

Basically just make my normal swing motion using the least amount of tension possible, like you are throwing a ball or an object ... or moving anything else with your
    body in your daily life

The main reason golfers get tense is because of the "hit instinct", and getting tight before impact in an effort to hit the ball HARD !

This just locks up your muscles, and with tight wrists and hands, STOPS the clubhead motion, killing speed, throwing off the clubhead path. and all other kinds of UGLY

Using my "new" swing thought, I went out and shot 67 on the par 71 course

For some incredibly stupid reason, related to my bizarre personality and thinking ..... or just because "it's golf", I played hundreds of rounds after that, NOT using or able
    to feel the same swing
    This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Originally posted by mpare View Post
      Yours is a perfect example of the enigma that is golf. That’s why we love it.

...and can hate it at the same time.

Comment

Congrats on a great round ! When it's going well, golf seems so easy. And then the next day it can go in the sh*tter !
        🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
        Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
        Ping G430 Max 12* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x
        Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway | Evenflow White 60S
        Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
        Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
        Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
        Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

I hope you can repeat it forever

Comment

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post
            Congrats on a great round ! When it's going well, golf seems so easy. And then the next day it can go in the sh*tter !
            Yep . . . a bit of a stupid game. Pretty much every sports are the same . . . that is why we love golf (all sports) so much . . .
            If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

All year has been a struggle. Shorter & shorter off the tee and in general and not sure why. Irons seldom solid and in the air, sand play lucky to get out and gw going nowhere.

Now that I think of it, the gw only will be used within 3 yards of the green to pop it up and other pw.

I've decided to use an extra club every shot and not try to hit it too hard and working on alignment.

Today July 10th is my first round not at my course in a cart, a longer round and some different company (two females) changes something.

However the year in terms of weather and course conditions have been spectacular.

Happy for good company, health and the ability to play.

Comment

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post
                It doesn't happen to us duffers, there was an LPGA Tour player, Jenny Coleman, who shot 74-75-​87-68 in the U.S.Open! One day the Golf Gods giveth, the next day they taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by mstram View Post
                  ...Then one day, standing outside, practice swinging, I "thought" of yet another swing "move / thought" etc.

Basically just make my normal swing motion using the least amount of tension possible, like you are throwing a ball or an object ... or moving anything else with your body in your daily life

Jim, a regular at my local coffee shop who is a golfer, mentioned he had just been given this book...

https://www.amazon.ca/Extraordinary-Golf-Possible-Fred-Shoemaker/dp/039952276X/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=extraordinary+golf&qid=1689190 882&sprefix=extraordinary+golf%2Caps%2C101&sr=8-1

I remember flipping through it 20 years ago.

The author introduces a natural throwing motion by getting students to throw a club down the fairway (insert joke here).

Jim (he used to play to a 4 at Weston but is now around 12-15 trunkslamming) read the book and tried its recommendations. He went out at Centennial Park and shot a 61 on the par 60 - I'm not sure which two nines he played.

So, he's a believer. It might be worth checking the book out.

----
                  Long Live the Patriarchy

Comment

Originally posted by bk51 View Post
                    Jim, a regular at my local coffee shop who is a golfer, mentioned he had just been given this book...

https://www.amazon.ca/Extraordinary-Golf-Possible-Fred-Shoemaker/dp/039952276X/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=extraordinary+golf&qid=1689190 882&sprefix=extraordinary+golf%2Caps%2C101&sr=8-1

I remember flipping through it 20 years ago.

The author introduces a natural throwing motion by getting students to throw a club down the fairway (insert joke here).

Jim (he used to play to a 4 at Weston but is now around 12-15 trunkslamming) read the book and tried its recommendations. He went out at Centennial Park and shot a 61 on the par 60 - I'm not sure which two nines he played.

So, he's a believer. It might be worth checking the book out.
                    Ya, I have that book.

"Throwing the club" for real, or as a thought, is a wonderful "trigger" for the swing

The "throwing / releasing" motion is the key to tying "Positions" with motion -> generating FLOW

Forceful fluidity.

Man .. I wanna get back to the range / course !!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                    X