Collapse

3some vs 4some scramble drama

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3some vs 4some scramble drama

Played a 3 player versus 4 player scramble.
    top 3 golfers (2/3/6 hcp) against 4 golfers (9/10/10/14 hcp)

no minimum drives.
    putt everything.
    3some got 3 shots at every ball, 4some got 4 shots at every ball.

heated discussion about who should get strokes, the team with one fewer shot on every hole, or the team with the higher HCP?

Who had the advantage, and who won the match?

Will post results after a few days.

It’s a scramble. No one should get shots. Close thread. Goodnight.

Comment

IMO, in this obvious case, the team with higher aggregate handicap (43 versus 11) should get strokes.

If you give a group of single-digit cappers three attempts at ever stroke (especially putts), it's going to be a turkey shoot.

Those three guys should have been ashamed to even think about asking for strokes under those circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post
        IMO, in this obvious case, the team with higher aggregate handicap (43 versus 11) should get strokes.

If you give a group of single-digit cappers three attempts at ever stroke (especially putts), it's going to be a turkey shoot.

Those three guys should have been ashamed to even think about asking for strokes under those circumstances.
        agree, with no strokes it would be a landslide victory for the aggregate 11.
        WITB
        9.5 Nike Covert
        15 TM Rocketballz
        3-P Nike Pro Vr Combo
        52,56,60 Nike X3X Wedges
        TM White Smoke

Comment

Originally posted by hoganapexplus View Post

agree, with no strokes it would be a landslide victory for the aggregate 11.
          I think it is going to be closer than you think. Sure 3 low handicaps but the 4 guys are not bums neither. It will be interesting to see the results . . . Hopefully the foursome has a couple of good putters/good mix of players . . .
          If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

We had this a few weeks back at Parkview. My group of 3 shot 11 under and cleaned up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Money 86 View Post
              It’s a scramble. No one should get shots. Close thread. Goodnight.
              I agree - no strokes. In other words, as the saying goes, "hit better shots".​

Ya gotta know a team with some single-digit player(s) will show up, as they always do. If you don't like the straight-up format, then don't enter.

I was in a scramble last year and our team of 3 shot -8 over 9 holes, which included an eagle chip-in which bounced out of the cup for a tap-in birdie.
              2nd place with a 2 hcp player came in at -4 over 9-holes. A lot of times, players enter a scramble with a team and only the die-hard players carry a hcp.

In my own situation, I've never entered scores to derive a handicap. I care more about stroke average and how many pars/birdies I get.

A month ago, I was in a scramble at work with a team of 4. The lady didn't show up so now its 3 guys. 2 guys (never swung a club before) came over to my cart 5 minutes after all the carts left with no clubs, no balls, no tees, and asked if they could share my clubs .... frickin WOW. The ranger gave them range balls to use. I said go to the clubhouse and rent a set. They both come back with an 8* driver, and one 7-iron which they shared (as all sets were rented), and we all shared my putter on the green. I had to play my arse off to get the team to +4. One guy tried to use my putter twisted 90 deg CCW and I corrected him before he made contact. Next year, I will submit a team, and not leave it to chance.
              Last edited by TourIQ; Oct 25, 2023, 12:48 AM.
              Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
              Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
              Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

If there are no strokes...the 3 guys are gonna win by at least 3-5 strokes over the 4 guys.
                The 2/3/6 caps have superior ball striking and therefore proximity to the hole will be better and likely better putters to sink the putts.
                IMO....if the 4 guys beat the 3 guys by quite a bit....then the 3 guys are likely vanity caps.
                And we all know there are lots of vanity caps out there.

Comment

Originally posted by TourIQ View Post

In my own situation, I've never entered scores to derive a handicap.

I care more about stroke average and how many pars/birdies I get.

To each their own, but stroke average doesn't take into consideration the difficulty of a course and therefore doesn't provide a more accurate assessment of a golfer's skill/potential the way an index does.

If I regularly played a course at 5500 yards with a rating of 66/115....my stroke average would likely be 75/76...and if I told someone who understands the index/handicap system...they'd likely think I'm a scratch or 1 index...which I'm not.....obviously they would not think this way if I told them where I golf & what tee blocks I play from and they were familiar with that course.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr22putt View Post
                    To each their own, but stroke average doesn't take into consideration the difficulty of a course and therefore doesn't provide a more accurate assessment of a golfer's skill/potential the way an index does.
                    Agree Mr22putt, many valid points but I could care less what my index/handicap is or was.

I know a Junior who played better players for a chocolate bar or ice cream bar. He never asked for strokes nor did he ever give any away. He never wanted to get to the prize table based on an adjusted score.

At the end of the day, it was up to him to "just hit better shots".

Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
                    Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
                    Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Lower caps should win by 3-4 strokes is my guess.

Comment

My experience , the low cappers are probably all vanity caps and the higher handicaps are sandbaggers.

the low caps will shoot -7 and the high caps -16.

joking not joking
                        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                          My experience , the low cappers are probably all vanity caps and the higher handicaps are sandbaggers.

the low caps will shoot -7 and the high caps -16.

joking not joking
                          What kind of people do you hang around with . . .
                          If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Chambokl View Post

What kind of people do you hang around with . . .
                            Last time I saw him it was with you and I
                            BIG MOY GOLF...POWERED BY SNICKERS
                            Member Century Club...Osprey Valley May 20, 2010...108 holes
                            There is no next year...signed Leaf fan

Comment

Originally posted by golfingoalie View Post

Last time I saw him it was with you and I
                              fact, lol

We need to get the band together again
                              "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X