Collapse

Rechargeable Lawnmower Battery Problem

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rechargeable Lawnmower Battery Problem

I have a 3 year old rechargeable lawnmower purchased from Canadian Tire. I don't remember the brand name but I think it is their store brand (Yard Master?). I have always brought the battery indoors for the winter, but in summer it is normally left plugged in to recharge in garage when not in use. Over the last few weeks I have noticed that the charging light never gets to green, meaning fully charged. Also, the battery seems to die off in about half the time as normal. Had been working perfectly fine up until the last 3 weeks, with no noticeable deterioration from last year.

I am wondering whether any members have had similar problems and whether anything can be done to improve the charge. I would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Re: Rechargeable Lawnmower Battery Problem

Originally posted by r1404 View Post
    I have a 3 year old rechargeable lawnmower purchased from Canadian Tire. I don't remember the brand name but I think it is their store brand (Yard Master?). I have always brought the battery indoors for the winter, but in summer it is normally left plugged in to recharge in garage when not in use. Over the last few weeks I have noticed that the charging light never gets to green, meaning fully charged. Also, the battery seems to die off in about half the time as normal. Had been working perfectly fine up until the last 3 weeks, with no noticeable deterioration from last year.

I am wondering whether any members have had similar problems and whether anything can be done to improve the charge. I would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thanks in advance.
    No experience with lawnmower rechargeables, but pretty much any other rechargeable I have bought dies within the timeframe you mention. My guess says it is toast, need a completely new battery.

Comment

the time frame for a replacement is about right. I recommend you don't keep the next one on a charger for any length of time, except before the next day of use.
      There is a procedure for getting the most charge out of a new battery.
      I'm not sure whether this is it but it used to be a double cycle of charge and letting it drain in between before putting it to use.

Comment

I had the same one. It's a Yard Works brand. My battery died in just over a year.

To whoever is looking for a mower, I'll let it go for a sleeve of Pro-V1's.

Comment

Like others have said your battery maybe toast. Three years is actually pretty good. Depending on how much the lawnmower originally cost it may not be worth trying to repair. Yet if you are handy and want to go through the challenge of solving you battery problem without purchasing a new mower you can buy a replacement battery from a battery retailer.

Contact royalbatterysales.com. They maybe able to help you.

I've gone to Battery Zone in New Century Plaza in Markham to get a battery for my kid's power wheel. Cost me $70 to get 2 - 6volt AGM battery.
          Cobra L5V- Nunchuk shaft
          Ping Rapture V2 4W
          Adams Idea Pro 2H
          Accuform PTM
          SC Red X

Comment

Heat will cause premature wear on the cells so if it's left plugged in and the charger doesn't have some sort of 'auto-off' or cooling mechanism you're actually damaging the battery by doing this. The heat in your garage (assuming it's not air-conditioned) will also contribute to premature wear. Sounds like you need a new battery.

Comment

Thanks very much for all of the feedback, it is much appreciated. Sounds like a combination of subpar battery technology and subpar owner knowledge. I can't say that I have ever seen replacement batteries at Canadian Tire, but will call them. My guess is it will not be economical to replace, although it seems like such a waste to toss a lawnmower that is otherwise in great condition. If I have to do that, it will certainly give me some thought about the overall "green" environmental value. My last gas mower lasted a good 10 years, and same with the last corded electric.

I will also let the battery expire and try to recharge to see if that does anything, although I assume the damage is already done. Thanks again.

Comment

I had a Black & Decker rechargeable. First two years it did the whole lawn on one charge. Third year it would only do about one half. Forth year it could no longer deal with any high or thick grass.

Your experience sounds about normal.
                I like big putts and I cannot lie
                You other putters can't deny
                That when a putt goes in with an itty bitty pace
                You're gonna fist pump in their face - Sir Putts-A-Lot

It's how well you golf fast!!!!

Comment

Depending on what type of battery you have, this could be the full lifespan. For the old NiCad batteries, you could get literally decades of use, but they developed a memory, so you'd have to fully discharge them before charging again. I still see this battery type on cheap appliances and solar-powered garden lights. Newer rechargeable batteries could be Lithium-Ion or similar technology. These batteries are very susceptible to heat and depth of discharge. The higher the storage temperature and/or the deeper the discharge between charges, the shorter the life, however, all things being equal, I believe the expected lifespan of one of these is about 3 years. If the battery was NiCad though, it should have lasted much much longer. Have a look at the label, you should be able to get a replacement battery for much less than the cost of the mower.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Not sure if this is your battery but it is listed for a yardworks mower from CT.
                    "24V CORDLESS LAWN MOWER BATTERY MODEL 60-1767-6"
                    There are a zillion ( OK not quite) complaints about this battery on the ComplaintsBoard.com
                    Only recourse; new one $120.00, or you could try megabatteries.com out of Montreal they have deals on all kinds of batteries including ones for Bushnell.
                    Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

How to replace the battery on a Yard Works cordless lawn mover Model 60-1767-6. These batteries die quickly. The battery I installed for this Yard Works la...

looks pretty simple to replace. You just have to verify the cost and availability of the batteries needed.
                      Cobra L5V- Nunchuk shaft
                      Ping Rapture V2 4W
                      Adams Idea Pro 2H
                      Accuform PTM
                      SC Red X

Comment

The battery is actually super easy to install and remove, and I do not excel at these things. It actually just drops into place on top, with a handle that locks and unlocks. I have used that to store it indoors; you simply pull it out. It has to weigh well over 10 pounds. On the back of the battery, the label says 24V, 20 Ah lead acid.

Canadian Tire calls it a sealed lead acid automotive-style battery. Bit of a joke. $130 for a replacement. Says don't leave in cold in winter, but then also recharge it every 2 weeks.
                        Last edited by r1404; Aug 14, 2012, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by r1404 View Post
                          The battery is actually super easy to install and remove, and I do not excel at these things. It actually just drops into place on top, with a handle that locks and unlocks. I have used that to store it indoors; you simply pull it out. It has to weigh well over 10 pounds. On the back of the battery, the label says 24V, 20 Ah lead acid. Canadian Tire calls it a sealed lead acid automotive-style battery.
                          Give royalbatterysales.com a contact. They are local to the GTA. I don't work for them yet I was given a very good quote on a specialized car battery which was about $50 cheaper than an AutoParts dealer. They may be able to suggest a better battery than the one you have that may last longer. My guess is they would suggest an AGM battery which does not leak and stores very well during the winter months. I'm not a battery expert so take what I say with a grain of salt. Doesn't hurt to give them a call
                          Cobra L5V- Nunchuk shaft
                          Ping Rapture V2 4W
                          Adams Idea Pro 2H
                          Accuform PTM
                          SC Red X

Comment

These pictures show poor craftsmanship or quality of the product. After opening them I noticed the nut loose inside shorting the circuit: that's why my first charger died. And the other has a missing negative outer shield on the charging pin! Compare with the other one in picture.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Sorry to hear that. My Craftsman lawn mower was very good quality and lasted more than 20 years.
                              Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X