Collapse

New bike advice

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New bike advice

Suggestions for a hybrid or cyclocross bike are excellent for the intended purpose (pavement and light trail). The fat knobby tires on mountain bikes will slow you down on smoother surfaces while a road bike will be tricky to handle off pavement.

My wife got a Specialized hybrid for around $700 while I got a Cannondale cyclocross for around $1200. We bought new but you can save a bunch buying used or during off-season sales. One benefit of buying new from a bike store is that they usually include free maintenance for a number of years. A badly tuned bike is horrible to ride.

Before you buy, go to a good bike shop and talk to them. Getting the right size is most important.
    Home
    Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5*
    TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP 21*
    Ping G425 5-U
    Titleist SM6 58*
    Ping 2021 Anser 2

Away
    TaylorMade R9 SuperTri 10.5*
    TaylorMade R9 5 wood
    Ping G25 5-W
    Titleist SM2 52*, 56*, 60*
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 360g

Comment

+1 for Hybrid

I would recommend that you do some research online on what the correct fitting is for you based on your body measurements. Ergonomics are very important for efficiency as well as reduced risk of repetitive strain injuries.

Go for an aluminum frame, its lighter. The lighter the better. Carbon fiber is the best, but $$$. Consider carbon fiber front forks and seat for added comfort - it flexes.

Ensure when you are shifting gears they are smooth. Pay attention to the specific model of the brakes, derailer (gears), ect. This is how you can price compare. The components will tell you what the cost of the bike should be and whether you are getting a 'deal'.

You can find a good quality hybrid for $400 if you are patient and look daily on kijiji / craigslist. Also, check out the buy and sell on http://www.tbn.ca/

Also, I am a big fan of MEC. Check them out, you can get some great deals there. Especially for cycling accessories.

Cheers!

Comment

So finally found some time to look around - went to a local shop that carries a ton of stuff. Ended up with a 2012 Norco Charger. She cut me a great deal and I loved it as soon as I sat on it. Bit higher than entry level, but just seemed....right. Now I need some padded shorts because that seat it ....well....interfering with my ability to reproduce anymore.
        Driver: yup..5 of those
        3 Wood: 'bout 4
        Hybrid: few..couple of tour issue
        Irons: Too many but AP2 for now
        Wedges: Lots
        Putter: A016836

Comment

I bought a Jamis road bike and love it, great deal for around $600

Comment

Originally posted by Blassy View Post
            So finally found some time to look around - went to a local shop that carries a ton of stuff. Ended up with a 2012 Norco Charger. She cut me a great deal and I loved it as soon as I sat on it. Bit higher than entry level, but just seemed....right. Now I need some padded shorts because that seat it ....well....interfering with my ability to reproduce anymore.
            my 2 cents worth on shorts, don't cheap out. Good shorts will last you a long time and have a lot more padding than cheap ones.
            MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Good that you're all set. I was going to chime in about a bike I've been reading on. It's called Jamis. I was looking at their road bikes. Reviews show they are using some high end components, for the quality they are a bargain. Anyone have experience with these bikes? There are some dealers I found on Kijiji.
              Member of 2012, 2013, 2015 TGN Ryder Cup Team
              Member of 2014 OG Ryder Cup Team

Comment

Just like new shoes your seat and you treasure area needs ride time to get use to each other. Get the good pants as others have mentioned but nothing will make it more comfortable than getting your posterior use to that position. You could also research higher end seats yet I think they too need time to mold to your contours.

The good thing is you did buy a higher end bike which will ride better and make you more incline to ride it. Too many times people buy cheap bikes from CT and end up not riding them because they are uncomfortable or rides rough/harsh. That's what you get with a cheap bike.
                Cobra L5V- Nunchuk shaft
                Ping Rapture V2 4W
                Adams Idea Pro 2H
                Accuform PTM
                SC Red X

Comment

any suggestions on better shorts to buy based on experience?

Comment

Not being a roadie, I bought a set of Fox shorts (baggier style with tight inner removable liner with padding in it). Love them. Under $100. MEC has some decent kit too, if there is one near you.
                    Still getting the hang of this game!

In the Ogio Atlas for riding or Ogio Vaporlite for carrying:

Ping G2 with HOT PINK Grafalloy Bimatrix
                    Srixon W-403 AD 5 wood
                    Nike 23 degree hybrid
                    Ping eye2+ irons 5-PW
                    Cleveland CG14 Gunmetal 52, 56
                    Bronze Ping Anser 3 with Tigershark grip

Comment

Cycling shorts are very personal. Its a matter of fit. i had a pair of Louis Garneau that were the best ever for me, so I bought all the pairs that the store had in my size. I have since worn them out and Louis Garneau no longer makes that model and their new shorts don't fit me as well.

I am currently a fan of Sugoi. Louis Garneau and Sugoi are Canadian companies.

Comment

I've been very happy with a pretty basic pair from MEC at a decent price - around $60.

I also got some Sugoi's that were on sale at Sporting Life - they're a better short (thicker chamois), but more expensive. I don't really find them any more comfy than the MEC ones.

If you start putting a lot of miles on, you'll want to investigate various creams for your butt. I've tried two brands, and prefer the aptly named "Assos Creme" from Switzerland over "Chamois Butt'r". The Assos has eucalyptus oil or menthol or something that is nice and tingly on your riding bits... It seemed pricey for a small jar at about $25 for a small jar - but you don't need all that much at a time and I found I could make the jar last for 3 years...
                        "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                        ...Iggy

Comment

Maybe look into getting a better saddle...I injured myself down there and since then all my saddles have a cut-out. You can also find saddles of different widths etc. to fit your body type.

Comment

Originally posted by kookie View Post
                            Maybe look into getting a better saddle...I injured myself down there and since then all my saddles have a cut-out. You can also find saddles of different widths etc. to fit your body type.
                            Good point about the cutout. When I got my new (used) bike last year it came with a nice Fizik saddle - but after a few long rides my parts were completely numb. To the point that I had to WATCH what I was doing at a urinal because I couldn't FEEL a thing... (TMI?)

So I searched the web and talked to a few people and bought a new one - (a Specialized Romin "Expert") - with full cutouts.

Search around, see what people recommend, and try different ones. Many are available in different widths, and that can be important - getting your weight onto the saddle via the sit-bones, and not the more delicate bits...
                            "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                            ...Iggy

Comment

I went through this last summer, looking at everything from mountain bikes to tri bikes. I eventually settled on a hybrid after seriously considering my riding style and routes.

The beat deal I found was for a Marin at Royal Distributing. I bought a 2011 model (new old stock) for 40% off the original price.

Comment

Nice bike shop in town is discontinuing their Pearl Izumi stuff - picked up a pair of short for 50% off - from 160 to 80 bucks with removable chamois inside. Rather pleased. Now to let my backside...and underside...get used to the seat for a season and hope my wife doesn't want a sibling for our daughter for a bit.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse