Uber VS Taxis

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Uber VS Taxis

Originally posted by hackerhare View Post
    Case of supply management. Before UBER, the supply of cabs is restricted by licensing. That is why there is an economic value to the license. But with UBER, there is literally unlimited supply. Therefore, the value of the cab licenses are going to zero. UBER will make it rich, everyone else is going to suck, including the UBER drivers. That is until someone comes out with a better mouse trap.
    I presume the better mousetrap will be shared on demand driverless cars. I fully expect to see the day I can call for a vehicle that will arrive within minutes and take me wherever I want to go whenever I want. I also imagine I will be able to define the parameters of what I want. Are we 2 people? 4 people? bringing baggage? I expect I should be able to reserve ahead of time or demand in real time. At that point the distinction between taxis, car share services becomes blurred and the value of private ownership begins to decline to novelty status (sports car enthusiasts who go to private tracks to drive their cars??)

Comment

Originally posted by IrishGuy1979 View Post
      Well today's taxi protest is certainly not the right way to go about trying to get the public on the taxi drivers side

Take a look at this guy

How is not getting arrested for this stuff?
      The same guy is now comparing Uber to ISIS

Global News - breaking news & current latest Canadian news headlines; national weather forecasts & predictions, local news videos, money and financial news; sports stats and scores.

Comment

Oddly enough this morning was a rare day I needed to drive. Went from downtown to the airport and back. Did see the 427 slowdown start at the airport but got around it using 427 collector lanes down to Browns Line. When I reentered onto the QEW / Gardiner heading into town it was wide open, so I guess I went around it and came back on in front of the slowdown. I still got off at Park Lawn and came up to Queensway / King which was fine. Felt sorry for all of those who did not have any other way around and somewhat lucky my alternate routes did get me out infront of the slowdown as I had no idea how long the snarlup would be. For all I knew it was completely backed up the entire way to downtown.

The one dangerous thing I saw was rentering the QEW eastbound around Islington a line of cabs were ahead of me on the onramp and they came to a stop then all slowly pulled off to the shoulder. I had to stop on the onramp, wait for them to clear, then heavy acceleration to get up to merging speed to move from the onramp into the live lane. Was not too happy about the level of danger the cabs were injecting into city driving. Completely agree they are handling this in all the wrong ways.

Comment

Originally posted by mpare View Post
          After having tried to forcibly enter the car, and having banged his fist on the side window, he's fortunate that the driver didn't open the door, jump out of the car and deck him.
          What i'd like to know is: Assuming the cabbie was able to get the door of the alleged Uber driver open, what was he going to do? Drag the driver out into the street?

These guys need to rethink their strategy.
          10 degree Cobra Fly-Z+ / Matrix White Tie 55X4
          16 degree Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 / Fujikura Speeder 865
          20 degree Ping Rapture V2 Hybrid / MR JavlinFX
          4-AW Nike Vapor Pro Combo / DG Pro

54, 58 degree Ping Glide / CFS
          Ping Anser Redwood

Srixon ZStar XV

Comment

Originally posted by Section ThirtyOne View Post
            What i'd like to know is: Assuming the cabbie was able to get the door of the alleged Uber driver open, what was he going to do? Drag the driver out into the street?

These guys need to rethink their strategy.

How else would you treat a terrorist?

Comment

Originally posted by IrishGuy1979 View Post
              The same guy is now comparing Uber to ISIS

http://globalnews.ca/video/2390282/t...s-uber-is-isis
              ... and is carrying on about Uber drivers breaking the law...
              10 degree Cobra Fly-Z+ / Matrix White Tie 55X4
              16 degree Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 / Fujikura Speeder 865
              20 degree Ping Rapture V2 Hybrid / MR JavlinFX
              4-AW Nike Vapor Pro Combo / DG Pro

54, 58 degree Ping Glide / CFS
              Ping Anser Redwood

Srixon ZStar XV

Comment

Originally posted by pendlebg View Post
                I am sure when this is all settled that a large contributing factor of the taxi problem is going to be the idiotic plate system that creates a business model that was simply waiting to be toppled to actually be toppled. Not familiar with how other cities work but am guessing Toronto is not in isolation with the plate model hence the popularity of Uber worldwide.

When the shift finally happens I am sure people will look back at the plate system as idiotic for everyone except the fortunate few who got to bank the money by doing next to nothing to contribute to the industry.

Sooner or later the taxi business model was going to implode. Looks like it is in the process of happening now.
                The industry created the problem. The drivers are being paid at less than minimum wage and it was truly unfair. The cabs were often less than ideal, drivers had no idea where they were going in the city and the rates kept going up. Change the law and forget about the plate holders. There was never a guarantee that the plate would be worth anything.

Comment

I have had problems offering credit cards for payment. Driver would say "machine is not working". Heard this many times. I get it. He wants cash under the table. I wonder how much taxi fare is never taxed as income? A lot I'd guess. Just like those that will finish your basement, clean carpets etc, that prefer cash only.

Disclosure: When expecting child number one (now 27), I drove a cab for about a year on weekends to supplement my income. A promotion took the need off the table and I quit. In that one year, I learned a lot. In the company I worked for, most drivers were either collecting EI or were in the country illegally. As a part timer and in the era when every customer paid cash, trust me, I didn't declare a dime to CRA and nor did anyone else.

I feel for the average driver. It's a tough grind for minimal income, most if not all of which is undeclared so no benefit to the Treasury. You get your share of complete jerks who don't have money, are drunk, belligerent etc. The plate system is a farce. If you own the plate, it's like money in the bank. The driver is a slave to this system. This should be scrapped. Cancel all of them (with a phase out period) and offer plates to drivers only on an annual renewable basis.

The traditional taxi industry is in it's death knell. Regulations aside, the customer is voting with their phone. People need rides and will obtain same, no matter what the regulations say. If convenient and it works, it will take over and it already has.

Have had my share of surly drivers, don't speak English, don't know the city or thinking you don't, try a circuitous route to extend the fare. I call them out on it as one of the few that actually walked in their shoes.

The taxi industry needs to embrace the technology, the app's and the traditional mindset or else it will disappear.

Comment

Originally posted by 68shark View Post

In the company I worked for, most drivers were either collecting EI or were in the country illegally. As a part timer and in the era when every customer paid cash, trust me, I didn't declare a dime to CRA and nor did anyone else.
                    no doubt this is commonplace in the cab world , it's also a problem in several other industries
                    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by NineNineSix View Post
                      I always ask as I'm sitting down "you take credit cards?"....I don't think anyone has ever said no, at least not that I can remember. The machines are often very slow though. If at the end of a trip the machine wasn't working I'd just walk out.

Uber really should be more expensive, not less, than cabs. I wonder if we will see their price rise to reflect the fact that it's a better service.
                      So, you break the law. How nice.

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
                      TM SLDR 10.5*
                      TM SLDR 3W & TM V-Steel 5W
                      TM Rescue 22*
                      4-PW Mix of Mizuno MX-25's and TM RBZ's
                      Wedges: Titleist SM 53* & 56*
                      Ping Ketch
                      Ball: What's on sale?

Comment

Originally posted by Leftygolfer30 View Post
                        So, you break the law. How nice.
                        Sorry if this offends your delicate sensibilities, Lefty.

Comment

Originally posted by pendlebg View Post
                          I am sure when this is all settled that a large contributing factor of the taxi problem is going to be the idiotic plate system that creates a business model that was simply waiting to be toppled to actually be toppled. Not familiar with how other cities work but am guessing Toronto is not in isolation with the plate model hence the popularity of Uber worldwide.

When the shift finally happens I am sure people will look back at the plate system as idiotic for everyone except the fortunate few who got to bank the money by doing next to nothing to contribute to the industry.

Sooner or later the taxi business model was going to implode. Looks like it is in the process of happening now.
                          Well stated.

I still don't understand the naysayers.

Bladerunner

Comment

All thins equal, people are still going to take Uber. The cars are a hundred times cleaner, the drivers are polite and you know exactly when they are going to show up. Plus your not going to get taken for a ride in you are a tourist or in a vulnerable state!

Comment

As much as I dislike the experience of cabs, I don't like the premise that Uber operates under. Everyone loves the "Uber" experience but what happens in the long term when drivers are driving the same vehicles. Will they be as nice as they are now? Will drivers earn be enough to cover expenses of increased service needs and/or a new vehicle?

Have you seen the safety requirements of Uber?
                              - Brake Pads must have a minimum thickness of 2 mm
                              - Tires must be a minimum 3/32nd of inch

I wouldn't call those requirements safe. That's a joke.

Getting back to the cab industry. It's the city that created this mess and frankly, I don't think they care about the cab drivers enough to see that they have been getting the short end of it for a long time. Bottom line is that there are rules on the books that govern this industry and the city doesn't want to enforce them (as they should like it or not).

If Uber is to operate then it should under the proper conditions. And finally, with regards to CC payments, I hate the idea kicking up 2-3% of the fare to the CC company. I rather give cash to the driver.

Comment

Originally posted by NineNineSix View Post
                                Sorry if this offends your delicate sensibilities, Lefty.
                                In another thread you blast me on my stance on refugees. Yet you openly admit to committing a criminal offense by stealing from someone whos occupation is dominated by recently landed immigrants. Also from someone who does not make a healthy stable income.

the irony....

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X