Collapse

Trudeau Promise Meter

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Trudeau Promise Meter

As for the possible $50k in realtor expenses, they can claim that regardless of their position, provided they are relocating more than 40km closer to their place of employment. That goes for everyone, not just government employees.

Comment

The expenses in question include approximately $20,000 each for "personalized cash payouts". Reading several articles, as well as the statement from the individuals, it seems clear that these payments were NOT in respect of expenses incurred. That the policy may have permitted such payments is an outrage, and yet another reminder in a list of thousands about how governments of all stripes fail to recognize that they are not spending their own money. As regards the individuals, I am really only interested in the answers to 2 questions:

1. Did they claim those $20,000 amounts, or was it given to them over and above what they claimed?

2. What period of time has passed between when they received those payments and when they had their "revelation"?

The answers to those questions would be telling.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner View Post
        As for the possible $50k in realtor expenses, they can claim that regardless of their position, provided they are relocating more than 40km closer to their place of employment. That goes for everyone, not just government employees.
        Are you not speaking of a tax deduction/tax credit? If so, this is quite different than getting a cheque from your employer for $50k, would you not agree?

Comment

Originally posted by r1404 View Post
          Are you not speaking of a tax deduction/tax credit? If so, this is quite different than getting a cheque from your employer for $50k, would you not agree?
          that is what im speaking of, I assumed thats what these people were able to do as well. If they were infact handed a $50k cheque then yes i agree it is very different.

Comment

nevermind
            Last edited by Kriz; Sep 23, 2016, 12:33 PM. Reason: nvm...provincial when buying in Ottawa

Comment

Are these people civil servants on the gov't payroll or political hacks/drinking buddies of the party in power?
              If civil servants then surely there was an open recruitment process and they were deemed the best available and worth the extra relocation costs vs anybody that already resides in Ottawa.
              If they're political hacks/drinking buddies why doesn't the political party they hack for pay their salaries and expenses?

Comment

Originally posted by bogey5 View Post
                Are these people civil servants on the gov't payroll or political hacks/drinking buddies of the party in power?
                If civil servants then surely there was an open recruitment process and they were deemed the best available and worth the extra relocation costs vs anybody that already resides in Ottawa.
                If they're political hacks/drinking buddies why doesn't the political party they hack for pay their salaries and expenses?
                perhaps read the article. They were his top 2 staffers. They are employers of the Federal Government, not "political hacks".

Here's the post from Gerald Butts FB page with the breakdowns

Katie and I feel like we owe people an explanation after the news stories involving our families over the last couple of days. Here’s our best shot at it. It has been the government of Canada’s...

Katie and I feel like we owe people an explanation after the news stories involving our families over the last couple of days. Here’s our best shot at it.
                It has been the government of Canada’s policy to reimburse relocation costs of senior officials and their families since the 1970s. This policy has been updated periodically over the years. The last update was in 2011. Upon forming government, the Prime Minister’s office adopted that policy, which is described in the Treasury Board guidelines you can find here http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/…/…/pgmo-pl...ldcmtb-eng.asp .The guidelines that govern the real estate expenses and the process that generates reimbursements are all managed by a third party, Brookfield.
                As this process relates to us, we were eligible to be reimbursed for a bunch of costs that we don’t feel comfortable about. While the rules were clear and we followed them, we both know that’s not always enough. In the interests of living the government’s and Team Trudeau’s values of transparency and accountability, we are releasing a breakdown of both our families’ eligible expenses, refusing or refunding payment for a significant portion of them, and taking full responsibility for the whole series of events that led to this point .
                In the case of the Telford/Silver household, our expenses were:
                Moving logistics: $10,735.50
                Real Estate Commission, fees and employer taxes: $44,149.40
                Personalized cash payout and incidentals: $23,373.71
                Administration fees: $1577.94
                Travel: $546.00
                In the case of the Butts household, our expenses were:
                Moving logistics: $14,636.39
                Real Estate Commission, fees and employer taxes: $47,103.56
                Personalized cash payout and incidentals: $20,799.10
                Land transfer tax, legal fees and insurance: $25,141.31
                Temporary rental lodging (apartment) : $18,247.60
                Administration fees: $468.60
                Travel: $273.00
                When we reviewed these costs, we decided that the amount called “personalized cash payout” which is for miscellaneous moving expenses is unreasonable, and we will both be reimbursing that amount. The principle we took to these decisions is that we should only be reimbursed the actual cost we paid third parties to make the move happen.
                Additionally in Gerry’s case, he also decided it was unreasonable to be reimbursed for the land transfer tax associated with the cost of his new family home, over and above what would have been the cost of the tax on a home at the average house price in Ottawa for 2016.
                These kinds of breakdowns have never been released before. As leaders of the government’s exempt staff, we take responsibility for this policy. We will not be asking the same reimbursements of other exempt staff, nor will we call on members of previous governments to do the same.
                We know that some people will think that any amount for relocation is unreasonable, and that there never should have been such a policy in the first place. For our part, we want to make sure that our friends and families know we followed a policy that has been in place for decades, and will only be reimbursed for the hard costs of our families making the move.
                We take full responsibility for this having happened and because of that we are sorry. We’ve learned a lot of lessons over the past few days, and we commit to continuing to improve transparency in the future.
                The Prime Minister has asked the Secretary of the Treasury Board to create a new policy to govern relocation expenses across government.
                Katie and Gerry
                Policies for Ministers' Offices - January 2011
                The Compensation and Labour Relations Sector of the Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat (the Secretariat) publishes and co-ordinates the preparation of this document based on input provided by the Prime Minister's Office and by policy centres at the Secretariat, National Defence, Public Works and G...
                TBS-SCT.GC.CA
                MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post
                  perhaps read the article. They were his top 2 staffers. They are employers of the Federal Government, not "political hacks".

Katie and I feel like we owe people an explanation after the news stories involving our families over the last couple of days. Here’s our best shot at it. It has been the government of Canada’s...

Katie and I feel like we owe people an explanation after the news stories involving our families over the last couple of days. Here’s our best shot at it.
                  It has been the government of Canada’s policy to reimburse relocation costs of senior officials and their families since the 1970s. This policy has been updated periodically over the years. The last update was in 2011. Upon forming government, the Prime Minister’s office adopted that policy, which is described in the Treasury Board guidelines you can find here http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/…/…/pgmo-pl...ldcmtb-eng.asp .The guidelines that govern the real estate expenses and the process that generates reimbursements are all managed by a third party, Brookfield.
                  As this process relates to us, we were eligible to be reimbursed for a bunch of costs that we don’t feel comfortable about. While the rules were clear and we followed them, we both know that’s not always enough. In the interests of living the government’s and Team Trudeau’s values of transparency and accountability, we are releasing a breakdown of both our families’ eligible expenses, refusing or refunding payment for a significant portion of them, and taking full responsibility for the whole series of events that led to this point .
                  In the case of the Telford/Silver household, our expenses were:
                  Moving logistics: $10,735.50
                  Real Estate Commission, fees and employer taxes: $44,149.40
                  Personalized cash payout and incidentals: $23,373.71
                  Administration fees: $1577.94
                  Travel: $546.00
                  In the case of the Butts household, our expenses were:
                  Moving logistics: $14,636.39
                  Real Estate Commission, fees and employer taxes: $47,103.56
                  Personalized cash payout and incidentals: $20,799.10
                  Land transfer tax, legal fees and insurance: $25,141.31
                  Temporary rental lodging (apartment) : $18,247.60
                  Administration fees: $468.60
                  Travel: $273.00
                  When we reviewed these costs, we decided that the amount called “personalized cash payout” which is for miscellaneous moving expenses is unreasonable, and we will both be reimbursing that amount. The principle we took to these decisions is that we should only be reimbursed the actual cost we paid third parties to make the move happen.
                  Additionally in Gerry’s case, he also decided it was unreasonable to be reimbursed for the land transfer tax associated with the cost of his new family home, over and above what would have been the cost of the tax on a home at the average house price in Ottawa for 2016.
                  These kinds of breakdowns have never been released before. As leaders of the government’s exempt staff, we take responsibility for this policy. We will not be asking the same reimbursements of other exempt staff, nor will we call on members of previous governments to do the same.
                  We know that some people will think that any amount for relocation is unreasonable, and that there never should have been such a policy in the first place. For our part, we want to make sure that our friends and families know we followed a policy that has been in place for decades, and will only be reimbursed for the hard costs of our families making the move.
                  We take full responsibility for this having happened and because of that we are sorry. We’ve learned a lot of lessons over the past few days, and we commit to continuing to improve transparency in the future.
                  The Prime Minister has asked the Secretary of the Treasury Board to create a new policy to govern relocation expenses across government.
                  Katie and Gerry
                  Policies for Ministers' Offices - January 2011
                  The Compensation and Labour Relations Sector of the Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat (the Secretariat) publishes and co-ordinates the preparation of this document based on input provided by the Prime Minister's Office and by policy centres at the Secretariat, National Defence, Public Works and G...
                  TBS-SCT.GC.CA
                  I was wondering what "personalized cash payout" was when reading the list.
                  Then he explained it clearly....the cash I had no business claiming for.

Comment

Honesty, openness and transparency is a wonderful thing. Good on them for coming out with this.
                    What's in the Taylormade TMX Stand Bag:
                    Titleist 910D2 10.5* (w/ Oban Devotion)
                    RBZ 3w 15*
                    RBZ Tour 3h 18.5*
                    Adams CB2 4-GW (KBS Tour 90)
                    CG15 52*,56*

Putters:
                    Byron Morgan DH89x
                    Byron Morgan 611x

Comment

Originally posted by vermin40 View Post
                      I was wondering what "personalized cash payout" was when reading the list.
                      Then he explained it clearly....the cash I had no business claiming for.
                      ...but was entitled to anyways, based on the rules put in place well before Trudeau.

I travel a lot for work, and sure, it may not be tax payers money, but I can assure you I will try to get reimbursed for everything possible within the rules.
                      What's in the Taylormade TMX Stand Bag:
                      Titleist 910D2 10.5* (w/ Oban Devotion)
                      RBZ 3w 15*
                      RBZ Tour 3h 18.5*
                      Adams CB2 4-GW (KBS Tour 90)
                      CG15 52*,56*

Putters:
                      Byron Morgan DH89x
                      Byron Morgan 611x

Comment

They are all expenses in my view that are being incurred based on an employee being asked to relocate or a new employee being brought on. I don't see how an employee should take the hit. Again, this is commonplace throughout the world and it's the media making a big deal out of something that happens dozens of times (or more) every week within the Federal Government. There are rules in place that cover this and likely have been in place for many years. If the rules were broken then I'm all for the people paying them back. If the rules were followed then the arguement shouldn't be with the people that followed them.
                        I agree. I used to work for an insurance firm that had a relocation policy which covered everything from movers/real estate/legal fees/househunting trips/one trip a year with family to go "home". Would buy the house from you if the market was such it wouldn't sell and offered 0% mortgages if moving from a low cost to high cost location. I haven't followed the math here but the land transfer tax is a cost that the employee should not bear, nor real estate commission. Whether the employee made a killing on the sale of the Toronto house is irrelevant. While I frequently sound off about the public sector pensions (because the rest of us don't have this luxury), relocation assistance seems similar to what's in the private sector at management/exec level positions.

Comment

Originally posted by 68shark View Post
                          I agree. I used to work for an insurance firm that had a relocation policy which covered everything from movers/real estate/legal fees/househunting trips/one trip a year with family to go "home". Would buy the house from you if the market was such it wouldn't sell and offered 0% mortgages if moving from a low cost to high cost location. I haven't followed the math here but the land transfer tax is a cost that the employee should not bear, nor real estate commission. Whether the employee made a killing on the sale of the Toronto house is irrelevant. While I frequently sound off about the public sector pensions (because the rest of us don't have this luxury), relocation assistance seems similar to what's in the private sector at management/exec level positions.
                          If RE commissions and LTT are normal payouts for any industry then I would not object to them in this case. My comments questioning it were only based on whether I thought it was debatable to pay for anyone in any industry. If they are widely accepted as expensable then I really have no issue with it. And yes I know it was not you personally responding to my previous posts, but you are the first who actually pointed out those expenses are SOP so thanks for that.

On the question of personal expenses I would still stick with a response that I would hope $20K in expenses are backed up with receipts.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanFTW View Post
                            Honesty, openness and transparency is a wonderful thing. Good on them for coming out with this.
                            ....and kudos to the G&M for making it public...and allowing them to be honest, open and transparent.

Comment

Despite what the opposition seems to want everyone to believe, they have taken the same benefits previously;

After days of dogging the Liberal government over $200,000 in moving expenses approved for two top staff members in Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s office, the Conservatives are being called onto the carpet for their own staff spending. The Privy Council Office released figures Friday that show former prime minister Stephen Harper’s office spent almost $325,000 on moving expenses from 2006 to 2015, including $93,000 for one senior staff member.

Not sure what the big deal is about 200 or 325 k with the vast fortune both parties have wasted over the years?!?

Comment

[QUOTE=Jeffc;1576332]perhaps read the article. They were his top 2 staffers. They are employers of the Federal Government, not "political hacks".

I thought the article described them as "political staffers" which sounds like party hacks to my ears not civil service positions and I don't care what party it is. Obviously if they're key government employees that are being relocated and there's nobody else in Ottawa that can do the job the employer pays for the move. Next we hear from these folks will likely be when they submit expenses to go the other way about 6 months before their boss decides to step down or is replaced and they move onto their next party patronage/campaign job.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X