Collapse

Toronto Maple Leafs 2016 - 2017 thread

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto Maple Leafs 2016 - 2017 thread

Hope y'all don't mind me starting a new one... :-)

Now that we've drafted Auston Matthews and acquired a goalie (Frederik Andersen), what next? A top 4 D (possibly using James Van Riemsdyk as trade bait)? Free agents to surround Auston Matthews with?

And what kind of lines are we looking at, you think? I can't imagine Auston being a first line centre right away; I wouldn't want him to, so as to not mess with his development/confidence...

I'm lovin' the new logo, by the way; GO LEAFS GO! :-)

Re: Toronto Maple Leafs 2016 - 2017 thread

A reality check. The Blackhawks drafted Toews in 2006. They still missed the playoffs for the next two seasons. There was still another high draft pick (Kane in 2007) and some free agent signings (Hossa, Campbell) before they even qualified for the playoffs.

There is still plenty of work left in this version of the Leaf's rebuild.

Comment

Don cherry is going to have a fit same amount of Russians drafted as Canadians. 3.
      Titleist TSi 3 w/ Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green 6.5
      Titleist TSi 3wd Ventus 7X
      Taylor Made Stealth+ Hybrid 19.5 Kai lia 95x
      Titleist T-100 KBS Tour 130x
      Taylor Made Hi Toe 50-54-58 DGS400
      Ping Redwood Anser 35" Black Finish!!!
      Ping Hoofer

Comment

Originally posted by Oakbridge View Post
        A reality check. The Blackhawks drafted Toews in 2006. They still missed the playoffs for the next two seasons. There was still another high draft pick (Kane in 2007) and some free agent signings (Hossa, Campbell) before they even qualified for the playoffs.

Not saying you are wrong, because you're not. But we need to realize that there is more than one way to win/make playoffs. The way the Blackhawks did it will more than likely not be the same way the leafs make it.
        Callaway Blayne Standbag:
        TaylorMade M1 9.5*
        TaylorMade Burner Superfast 2.0 3w 15*
        TaylorMade R15 5w 19*
        TaylorMade RBZ Stage 1 TP 3 Hybrid
        Taykormade Speesburner 5 Hybrid
        5-AW TaylorMade RocketBladez
        Callaway Mack Daddy 2 - 54* and 58*
        Scott Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke 3.0 Slim
        Srixion Z-Star XV

Comment

Anyone know where a listing of this year's UFA's can be found? Aside from Stamkos, there's gotta be other players possibly worth signing? I thought I saw in the past that Milan Lucic would be available for signing; that kid's a beast and I'd love for him to be on the Leafs...

Oh and another note (trade by the Leafs):

The Toronto Maple Leafs acquired forward Kerby Rychel from the Columbus Blue Jackets on Saturday afternoon in exchange for defenceman Scott Harrington and a conditional fifth-round draft pick.

Comment

And we've had some high picks already too.

Comment

Originally posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
              Not saying you are wrong, because you're not. But we need to realize that there is more than one way to win/make playoffs. The way the Blackhawks did it will more than likely not be the same way the leafs make it.
              Okay I'll bite, this was too good to resist…

You're probably right, the way the Blackhawks did it led to 3 Stanley Cups within 10 years of having the number one pick overall. The Leafs will probably do it differently.

Told you it was too good to resist.

Comment

Okay I'll bite, this was too good to resist…

You're probably right, the way the Blackhawks did it led to 3 Stanley Cups within 10 years of having the number one pick overall. The Leafs will probably do it differently.

Told you it was too good to resist.
                Ouch!

Comment

Originally posted by P25 View Post
                  And we've had some high picks already too.
                  By 2006 when Toews was drafted, the Blackhawks had already drafted:

Keith
                  Seabrook
                  Crawford
                  Byfuglien
                  Bolland
                  Brouwer
                  Hjalmarsson

I keep saying that I love the direction the Leaf franchise is heading in. But a proper rebuild takes approximately 5 years for a team to be a contender. Not a playoff team, but a contender. This is the end of year one.

There is a lot of work that remains to be done. And probably 75% of the current roster will not be in the lineup when they do become a true contender.

Patience.

Comment

By 2006 when Toews was drafted, the Blackhawks had already drafted:

Keith
                    Seabrook
                    Crawford
                    Byfuglien
                    Bolland
                    Brouwer
                    Hjalmarsson

I keep saying that I love the direction the Leaf franchise is heading in. But a proper rebuild takes approximately 5 years for a team to be a contender. Not a playoff team, but a contender. This is the end of year one.

There is a lot of work that remains to be done. And probably 75% of the current roster will not be in the lineup when they do become a true contender.

Patience.
                    Leafs fans are nothing if not patient. 1967 - and still kickin.

I would also add that there is no formula for a "proper rebuild." It could be 5 years. It could be 3. It could be 8.

Comment

Originally posted by P25 View Post
                      Leafs fans are nothing if not patient. 1967 - and still kickin.

I would also add that there is no formula for a "proper rebuild." It could be 5 years. It could be 3. It could be 8.
                      The point I was making is that it is not going to be one.

Comment

The point I was making is that it is not going to be one.
                        And I have not seen anyone say it would only take one year.

Comment

I think at the very least, perhaps with some additions that don't screw us long term, this year's team has the potential to at least make it to the playoffs - I doubt we'll be in last place again.

Maybe I'm being overzealous here and dreaming but then again, isn't this most Leaf fans? :-).

Comment

Regardless of the timeline, there's still no guarantee of a cup or even making the finals, no matter how we manage the "rebuild".

29 other GMs all want that too. Some will be out of it doing their own form of rebuilding, but there are others that will inevitably be peaking at the same time.

So what does everyone think our chances of winning a cup are in the next... um 7? years. (If we haven't done it by then, we're in a whole new phase).

How about 2 cups?

I think the odds of winning 1 are about 50/50. I love the way we're doing things, and once we got Auston Matthews I feel we have all the best possible people in place in management with Lou, Shanny and Babcock. On the ice we're a work in progress with a lot of very good prospects who should be impact players for us.

Winning 2? 10% at best. Who's been able to do that in the cap era? Chicago, LA and Pitts I think, and that's 10% of the league. It's not easy.
                            "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                            ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
                              Regardless of the timeline, there's still no guarantee of a cup or even making the finals, no matter how we manage the "rebuild".

29 other GMs all want that too. Some will be out of it doing their own form of rebuilding, but there are others that will inevitably be peaking at the same time.

So what does everyone think our chances of winning a cup are in the next... um 7? years. (If we haven't done it by then, we're in a whole new phase).

How about 2 cups?

I think the odds of winning 1 are about 50/50. I love the way we're doing things, and once we got Auston Matthews I feel we have all the best possible people in place in management with Lou, Shanny and Babcock. On the ice we're a work in progress with a lot of very good prospects who should be impact players for us.

Winning 2? 10% at best. Who's been able to do that in the cap era? Chicago, LA and Pitts I think, and that's 10% of the league. It's not easy.

Not sure if anyone remembers this, but I remember when Crosby got drafted, Pittsburgh signed Ziggy Palffy later that year but in Crosby's first year, I don't think they made the playoffs.

But then the following year, Malkin (who they drafted a yr before Crosby but didn't play in his first year) and Jordan Staal (who they drafted that year) joined the team in Crosby's second year and I recall them dominating - I believe at that point, they had Letang and Fleury as well)...

So basically, within Crosby's first five years, Pittsburgh won a cup (2009).

What I'm possibly 'hoping' is that Nylander, Brown, Soshnikov, and Marner become really good players if not this season, then hopefully next season. I'm pretty sure Matthews will make the Leafs team this year but I suspect he'll have a much better second year.

Now that we 'hopefully' have a decent goalie in Andersen, hopefully our D plays more relaxed, defend when need be and make crisp outlet passes/plays to our forwards.

We still have Kadri, JVR, Bozak (etc.) and these guys have been around a few years already and hopefully they take pressure of the younger kids so they can develop/get better.

Now, Leafs management just have to add some vets and a top 4 D or two and MAYBE we make it to the playoffs...

Its a longshot but anything's possible; or, we could very well suck again and thus, end up with a top pick in 2017 and HOPEFULLY in 2019, we're a little better...

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X