Collapse

Ottawa Senators 2016-2017

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ottawa Senators 2016-2017

There are a number of us on TGN who are Sens fans, so let's use this thread.

The draft has happened and by all accounts it was a successful draft for the organization. Their top pick, Logan Brown (OHL - Windsor) is a gigantic 18 year old who can think the game and a has a solid combination of wheels and hands (his dad is Jeff Brown and was an incredible skater in his day). By most accounts I've read he is projecting top be a #1 NHL centerman, which the Sens have been missing since Spezza left. I find it an interesting pick since the Sens were already deep down the middle. They have Turris, Zibanejad, Pageau, Lazar & Smith at the NHL level and White, Paul and now Brown in the pipeline. White and Brown could be a deadly two headed monster down the road. Lots of time till we know though.

FA's / RFA's - Ceci & Hoffman need to be resigned. I have heard that Ceci is all but done (presented options and is choosing the contract), but Hoffman will want to get paid as the premium goal scorer he's been over past 2.5 seasons. I love the player but he has some deficiencies in his game......sometimes effort and the defensive side of the game. He's a great scorer though. Wiercioch and Chiasson are the other two, but Dorion has said he doesn't expect either to be back in 2017. I'd like to see the Sens add to their D core and even a top 6 player. Having said that, I'd like to see Bobby Ryan shipped out. I'm tired of waiting for him.

IMO the team underperformed in 2015/2016. They should have made the playoffs. Injuries to Turris & MacArthur hampered the teams ability to sustain offence but the roster largely underperformed. However, Zibanajad looked quite good playing in the #1 C role and Karlsson was better than ever (despite Norris snub - should start a separate thread for that altogether). Health is always a crapshoot, but the Sens roster doesn't have any Band-Aid boys on it.

New coaching staff & GM. To be honest, initially I wasn't thrilled with the Boucher/Crawford tandem. Then I listened to Boucher talk hockey and became impressed. He appears to be a coach that will really emphasize the Sens strengths....scoring. I'm still a little suspect on what Crawford will do with the dmen. The top 4 is solid, but the bottom 2 need to be upgraded. Borocop is a useful player, but not in a full time role.

Have at it Sens fans, or should I say all fans. Let's hear your thoughts.

Re: Ottawa Senators 2016-2017

Chiasson shipped out...thank. the. hockey gods.

I still don't think this team is a legit playoff team. They're about 3 players short of a real top line. Most of their forwards are 2nd and 3rd line at best.

I hate that the team has the "Anything to get in to the playoffs" strategy. It is short sighted and stops any chance of being a contender again. This won't change until the team is sold and it doesn't look like that is happening anytime soon. It's hard being a Sens fan these days. Especially in Toronto where the tide is turning and within a few years the blue team will be dominating the Battle of Ontario.
    It's not the wand. It's the wizard.

Comment

Originally posted by parskiandhutch View Post

The draft has happened and by all accounts it was a successful draft for the organization. Their top pick, Logan Brown (OHL - Windsor) is a gigantic 18 year old who can think the game and a has a solid combination of wheels and hands (his dad is Jeff Brown and was an incredible skater in his day). By most accounts I've read he is projecting top be a #1 NHL centerman, which the Sens have been missing since Spezza left. I find it an interesting pick since the Sens were already deep down the middle. They have Turris, Zibanejad, Pageau, Lazar & Smith at the NHL level and White, Paul and now Brown in the pipeline. White and Brown could be a deadly two headed monster down the road. Lots of tKime till we know though.

FA's / RFA's - Ceci & Hoffman need to be resigned. I have heard that Ceci is all but done (presented options and is choosing the contract), but Hoffman will want to get paid as the premium goal scorer he's been over past 2.5 seasons. I love the player but he has some deficiencies in his game......sometimes effort and the defensive side of the game. He's a great scorer though. Wiercioch and Chiasson are the other two, but Dorion has said he doesn't expect either to be back in 2017. I'd like to see the Sens add to their D core and even a top 6 player. Having said that, I'd like to see Bobby Ryan shipped out. I'm tired of waiting for him.

IMO the team underperformed in 2015/2016. They should have made the playoffs. Injuries to Turris & MacArthur hampered the teams ability to sustain offence but the roster largely underperformed. However, Zibanajad looked quite good playing in the #1 C role and Karlsson was better than ever (despite Norris snub - should start a separate thread for that altogether). Health is always a crapshoot, but the Sens roster doesn't have any Band-Aid boys on it.

New coaching staff & GM. To be honest, initially I wasn't thrilled with the Boucher/Crawford tandem. Then I listened to Boucher talk hockey and became impressed. He appears to be a coach that will really emphasize the Sens strengths....scoring. I'm still a little suspect on what Crawford will do with the dmen. The top 4 is solid, but the bottom 2 need to be upgraded. Borocop is a useful player, but not in a full time role.

Not a Sens fan but I feel the coaching is a huge up grade .....Agree with u on Ryan ....Karlson ...great hockey player every team in the league would love him...he wasn't snubbed on the Norris ....How do u give top defenseman award when his plus minus was a minus and he sees little or no time on the PK....if Ottawa gets great goaltending from Anderson their a playoff team ..IMO.

Comment

The draft has happened and by all accounts it was a successful draft for the organization. Their top pick, Logan Brown (OHL - Windsor) is a gigantic 18 year old who can think the game and a has a solid combination of wheels and hands (his dad is Jeff Brown and was an incredible skater in his day). By most accounts I've read he is projecting top be a #1 NHL centerman, which the Sens have been missing since Spezza left. I find it an interesting pick since the Sens were already deep down the middle. They have Turris, Zibanejad, Pageau, Lazar & Smith at the NHL level and White, Paul and now Brown in the pipeline. White and Brown could be a deadly two headed monster down the road. Lots of time till we know though.

Pretty much agree with all of this.

For the coaching, the proof is in the pudding. I'll reserve judgement for the season but on paper it looks better.

Zibanejad needs to be more consistent and I think he knows the Sens are running out of patience with him. I believe he stayed in town to work out rather than going back to Sweden which he has done in the past. He's got the tools, he just needs to be more consistent. Ryan's in the same boat. Not sure you can trade him and get something reasonable - too much $ and not enough consistent production.

I'm ok with Boro - to me he fits the bill for what he is and adds that toughness to the line-up - he's a tough guy to play against. When I toured the Sens facilities after a game last year, there we're two call-ups in there and Boro. That says a lot to me.

As for Karlsson and the Norris, it could have gone either way. I think Doughty got a bit of the lifetime achievement award though he is great and the Sens not making the playoffs hurt Karlsson's chances, despite having the best offensive season by a D-man in 20 years and led the league in assists, the last time a D-man did that it was a guy named Orr 40 years ago. As for +/- that's an incredibly useless stat. He sees little time on the PK since his icetime is way more valuable in offensive situations. If you actually watch Karlsson and look at meaningful stats he's nowhere near as bad defensively as people want to label him, it's just kinda stuck unfortunately.
        MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post
          Pretty much agree with all of this.

For the coaching, the proof is in the pudding. I'll reserve judgement for the season but on paper it looks better.

Zibanejad needs to be more consistent and I think he knows the Sens are running out of patience with him. I believe he stayed in town to work out rather than going back to Sweden which he has done in the past. He's got the tools, he just needs to be more consistent. Ryan's in the same boat. Not sure you can trade him and get something reasonable - too much $ and not enough consistent production.

I'm ok with Boro - to me he fits the bill for what he is and adds that toughness to the line-up - he's a tough guy to play against. When I toured the Sens facilities after a game last year, there we're two call-ups in there and Boro. That says a lot to me.

As for Karlsson and the Norris, it could have gone either way. I think Doughty got a bit of the lifetime achievement award though he is great and the Sens not making the playoffs hurt Karlsson's chances, despite having the best offensive season by a D-man in 20 years and led the league in assists, the last time a D-man did that it was a guy named Orr 40 years ago. As for +/- that's an incredibly useless stat. He sees little time on the PK since his icetime is way more valuable in offensive situations. If you actually watch Karlsson and look at meaningful stats he's nowhere near as bad defensively as people want to label him, it's just kinda stuck unfortunately.

Live in the Ottawa Valley and have numerous friends that our big Sens fans and a lot of them from my hometown are season ticket holders ....having honest hockey discussions with them over the years the general thought on Karlson is great to watch and "his offensive ability exceeds his defensive liability"..I feel Dougherty was deserving of the Norris based on his overall game.....I think the NHL should have a Best Offensive Defenceman trophy call it the Bobby Orr ...Karlson would get my vote...if I had one...

Comment

Just heard that the city of Belleville is getting the AHL farm team of the
            Senators..good for Belleville

Comment

Zibanejad + 2nd round pick traded for Derick Brassard + 7th round pick

Looks like the Sens have tired of Zibby and are taking a new direction. Gauthier is also looking to make his mark.

Comment

Good deal for the Sens...

Comment

I was initially shocked by the trade, but am now OK given some time to think about it.
                  10 degree Cobra Fly-Z+ / Matrix White Tie 55X4
                  16 degree Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 / Fujikura Speeder 865
                  20 degree Ping Rapture V2 Hybrid / MR JavlinFX
                  4-AW Nike Vapor Pro Combo / DG Pro

54, 58 degree Ping Glide / CFS
                  Ping Anser Redwood

Srixon ZStar XV

Comment

I'm not a fan of the 2nd rounder going, but Brassard is underrated and a different type of C than Zibanejad. It'll be interesting to see the chemistry with Hoffman and Ryan (assuming he slots into the same spot). Although Brassard and Zibanejad score at the same pace, Brassard is more of a playmaker which should benefit shooters like Hoffman and Ryan. Here's hoping Ryan gets it together and scores like we all expect him to.

The additions of Brassard & Kelly (and Phaneuf) adds good veteran depth. They should be a better team.

For the metrics fans out there, Zibanejad is a hot mess when it comes to fancy stats.

Comment

The ‪#‎Sens‬ have agreed to terms with forward Mike Hoffman on a four-year contract with an AAV of $5.1875 million ($3.8M, $5.65M, $5.65M, $5.65M)

About where I expected him to be. Production has been solid the past 2 years and trending in the right direction. Good contract, if he can be a little more consistent and keep doing what he's doing this will be a win win.

Small world story - we went to the same high school.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post
                        The ‪#‎Sens‬ have agreed to terms with forward Mike Hoffman on a four-year contract with an AAV of $5.1875 million ($3.8M, $5.65M, $5.65M, $5.65M)

About where I expected him to be. Production has been solid the past 2 years and trending in the right direction. Good contract, if he can be a little more consistent and keep doing what he's doing this will be a win win.

Small world story - we went to the same high school.
                        That's a good contract and term. Now I wonder who the Sens have to dump because of it....you know that's coming.

Comment

That's a good contract and term. Now I wonder who the Sens have to dump because of it....you know that's coming.
                          they already traded zibby. That was a financial move primarily as they'd have to offer him a bigger contract as an RFA next year. Hence the lower value this year and more the next 3.

Comment

Craig Anderson has taken Leave of Abscence again to be with his wife. She was at the game on Sat and looked OK but this makes me think that she might have an agressive or incurable cancer.

Comment

Originally posted by Marty Canuck View Post
                              Craig Anderson has taken Leave of Abscence again to be with his wife. She was at the game on Sat and looked OK but this makes me think that she might have an agressive or incurable cancer.
                              Well let's hope and pray that's not the case.

perhaps she wanted to be at the game and perhaps her treatments are scheduled to start so Craig wants to be with her for those. A good friend went through a very aggressive treatment regime 2 years ago, during it he attended most all of his kid's rep hockey games and his wife took a LOA and attended every treatment and appointment he had over that year.
                              "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X