This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
    My post is not in support of Kavanaugh, or a defense of him.

If he indeed is guilty of committing those actions, then he certainly does not deserve to be on the bench of the SCOTUS.

However, we are witnessing a 'sea change'. For example predictions regarding how the US Border Agency will treat Canadians working for cannabis companies or owning shares in them. And what of Canadians who have records regarding cannabis? Will they be expunged once it becomes legal?

Social mores were considerably different. Last night I watched the original Ocean's 11. The way that members of the Rat Pack, considered the 'coolest guys on earth' treated women is now totally unacceptable. Sean Connery's version of James Bond would be a convicted sex offender.

As another posted, drinking and driving was widely accepted up until the mid 1970's.
    Drug use was viewed as an anti-establishment protest.

There were quotas among professional and graduate schools, in the police and fire services and of course at private golf courses.

Sexism and racism were rampant, even the most genteel members of society.

Society has certainly progressed for the better. We are wiser and more accommodating. I prefer how things are now.

Just wondering, out loud, how far back someone's background can now be checked, and where the line of what was acceptable will finally be drawn?

For example I was informed, perhaps in error, that if a male golfer, were to relieve himself on the golf course, and it was reported, that he may end up being convicted of 'public/indecent exposure' and therefore placed on the sex offender registry. If that is correct, do we agree? And therefore should courses be required to install washrooms on each 9?

And for those with psychological/social issues, who are perhaps guilty of misbehaving (see Trump's comments about grabbing women) having such things revealed will not cause them one minute of reflection or pause.
    Hey AD lots of good points but I can't compare sexual assault to the things we did in the 70's and 80's . . . Sexual assault was NOT accepted in the 70's and is still not accepted. I compare what happen here more with the Catholic Church abuse and these were assaults and yes they went back in the 50's and 60's and I completely agree to punish these people. I could also compare this to the Residential School from the 60's . . . I don't care how far back we go, if you have sexually or not assaulted somebody, especially the way it was describe you have to pay the price. He put his hand on her mouth so she would keep quiet . . . says a lot I guess.

Supposedly she took a lie detector test . . . why doesn't he take one also. It is not perfect but it would give us more clarity.
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

• Just wondering, out loud, how far back someone's background can now be checked, and where the line of what was acceptable will finally be drawn?
      For politicians, I guess that line rests with the voters. Slick Willy admitted to smoking pot ( but not inhaling ), and his history certainly suggested that there was a Monica Lewinsky in his future. At that time, the pot smoking may have been disqualifying to the voters, but the other issue probably wasn't. Times are different now.

I would suggest, that if one is interested in running for public office, that it is their responsibility to get ahead of anything that might come out.

Let's not forget, that any background check done on elected officials is pretty slim. Even then, they can't be denied the chance to hold the office they were elected to based on that background check.

I can think of quite a few US politicians that would probably be denied even a "Secret Clearance" as a civil servant, and yet they hold important positions on influential committees. One of them even has the top job in the executive branch.

Just as a PS, I'd love to see Kavanaugh's previous background screening dossiers. I'd be willing to bet that they haven't been seen by anyone on the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Last edited by WWFS; Sep 20, 2018, 09:34 AM.
      TorontoGolfNuts.com/TGNFantasy

Comment

• Originally posted by pendlebg View Post

I remember being a teenager over 30 years ago, and having some embarrassing moments, but nothing that demeaned another person and specifically recall defending those at the time who were vulnerable. Those who concern themselves with first stone casting should be concerned why they put themselves in that position at the time. This reflexive reaction that it was different back then is only felt by those who want that to be the truth. There is a distinct difference between stupid hijinks and criminal behavior and whitewashing the two together with the benefit of hindsight helps nobody that it matters to today and only aggravates wounds from those who suffered in silence long ago.
        I think Arthur Dailey is older than you. I know I am - my teenage years were in the late 60s and early 70s, and it was a different world.

So I think we have to be careful about judging the actions of those times in context. What is now reprehensible was then commonplace.

However.... thinking a little further on it, some clear lines can be drawn. No one would condone what Kavanaugh is alleged to have done. Not in any recent era. He's 10 years younger than me so you'd think the standards of his day would have been higher, not lower.
        "Confusion" will be my epitaph
        ...Iggy

Comment

• Interesting tidbit: I saw somewhere that Neal Gorsuch also went to Georgetown Prep.

Here's another: apparently yesterday (?), Doug Ford ate lunch at Trump's hotel, and is making it his "headquarters" while in DC.

Comment

• Originally posted by landlord View Post
            Interesting tidbit: I saw somewhere that Neal Gorsuch also went to Georgetown Prep.

Here's another: apparently yesterday (?), Doug Ford ate lunch at Trump's hotel, and is making it his "headquarters" while in DC.
            Birds of a feather.

Comment

• Originally posted by landlord View Post
              Interesting tidbit: I saw somewhere that Neal Gorsuch also went to Georgetown Prep.

Not sure what he is doing there and how much it cost . . . I guess he needed a little trip. Maybe he thinks he can fix all the problems in Canada and around the world.
              If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

• It has never been acceptable,in any society,of any era ,to rape or attempt such an act against a woman.

somebody should tell Trump he risks aping a Canadian First by pushing another " close your legs" advocate on the bench.

Christine Blasey Ford, a psychology professor at Palo Alto University, identified herself Sunday to the Washington Post as the author of the confidential letter that accused Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh of sexually assaulting her in the early 1980s, when they were both high school students in suburban Maryland.

things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

• President Donald Trump’s former personal attorney, Michael Cohen, has participated over the last month in multiple interview sessions lasting for hours with investigators from the office of special counsel, Robert Mueller, sources tell ABC News.

The special counsel’s questioning of Cohen, one of the president’s closest associates over the past decade, has focused primarily on all aspects of Trump's dealings with Russia -- including financial and business dealings and the investigation into alleged collusion with Russia by the Trump campaign and its surrogates to influence the outcome of the 2016 presidential election, sources familiar with the matter tell ABC News.

Comment

• Follow the money.

...and follow the stolen voter data.
                    TorontoGolfNuts.com/TGNFantasy

Comment

• Interesting story about Tiger Mom Yale prof Amy Chua, her close ties to Kavanaugh, Kavanaugh's preference for female law clerks with "a certain look" and Chua's under-investigation husband.

Huh. #whoknew

WITB: clubs, balls, tees, Advil and a candlestick (just in case)

Comment

• Originally posted by Chambokl View Post

Not sure what he is doing there and how much it cost . . . I guess he needed a little trip. Maybe he thinks he can fix all the problems in Canada and around the world.
                        Politics.

He's talking up support for farm and auto jobs in Nafta with the negotiators.

So if they negotiate little or nothing away he takes some of the credit. If they give away too much it's not his fault and he blames the feds.

Comment

• I guess nobody stays at the Watergate any more.

Comment

• GOP priorities: "The Best".

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	116
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	2865254

Comment

• If someone hasn't yet referred to this guy as a Dotard, someone should:

Views:	77
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	2865256

Comment

• Kava-NAH's Yale frat: Just boys being boys.

Views:	168
Size:	459.0 KB
ID:	2865259

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                                X