YOUR 2017 TORONTO BLUE JAYS

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With the emergence of Urena, does this make Barney and Goins superfluous, next season? Refsnyder certainly has not shown enough so far this season to elicit any confidence. Word is that the Jays' management were considering him as an outfielder.

Or does Urena's emergence provide an 'adequate' depth in the infield, if management does move Donaldson? Donaldson turns 32 in December. Has only 5 seasons as a starter in MLB so not that many miles, although the miles that he has seem to be 'hard' ones.

Seems like Maile is earning a spot for next season. With another year on Martin's body, the Jays' 2nd catcher may be more of a platoon mate (like Buck Martinez was to Ernie Whitt) than a back-up next season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
      With the emergence of Urena, does this make Barney and Goins superfluous, next season? Refsnyder certainly has not shown enough so far this season to elicit any confidence. Word is that the Jays' management were considering him as an outfielder.

Or does Urena's emergence provide an 'adequate' depth in the infield, if management does move Donaldson? Donaldson turns 32 in December. Has only 5 seasons as a starter in MLB so not that many miles, although the miles that he has seem to be 'hard' ones.

Seems like Maile is earning a spot for next season. With another year on Martin's body, the Jays' 2nd catcher may be more of a platoon mate (like Buck Martinez was to Ernie Whitt) than a back-up next season.
      I think they want Urena to spend a year in AAA first, but if they think he can play in MLB next year, he makes one of Goins or Barney expendable. Both were already out of options going into this year, which took away a bit of flexibility, and I think they'd rather be done with that problem. But they might keep one as a backup so that Urena can get regular at bats in AAA, then bring him up when Travis has his next season-ending injury.

I don't think Urena has any impact on what they do with Donaldson, personally. Urena is unlikely a 3B option (has neither the arm nor the bat for the position), and he doesn't free anyone else up to move to third. But there could be offseason moves that change that.

Comment

• From Griffins column in today's Star regarding 2018 and some money that the Jays' management should have available to acquire players:
        "Recall the Jays last winter believed they would be contenders for a third straight post-season berth, and as such added veteran relief help to contribute in a setup role. They picked up Jason Grilli’s $3-million option and signed lefty J.P. Howell and righty Joe Smith for $3 million each. All three of those pitchers were gone by mid-season, along with the $13-million owed to lefty starter Francisco Liriano for his final season; Liriano was traded to Houston at the deadline.

That’s $22 million the Jays will be able to allocate elsewhere next season, simply from the four departed pitchers."

Comment

• On another note, great run by the Tribe....21 straight wins, a new AL record.
          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

• Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
            With the emergence of Urena, does this make Barney and Goins superfluous, next season? Refsnyder certainly has not shown enough so far this season to elicit any confidence. Word is that the Jays' management were considering him as an outfielder.

I think what happens with Urena will be decided on the health of Devon Travis and not if Donaldson is moved (God, I hope not). If Travis is healthy, I see Urena being being back in AAA, if Travis is still injured (or gets injured) I could see Urena up with the team.

Comment

• Paging JUSTIN SMOAK?! Great season, slip-sliding-away!
              Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

• FLASHBACK: We did it Ross baby....we're out of Cleveland!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	atkins_shapiro650.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	2684389

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post
                  Paging JUSTIN SMOAK?! Great season, slip-sliding-away!
                  Come again? /AustonPowers...
                  "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                  ...Iggy

Comment

• Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

Come again? /AustonPowers...
                    shades of Michael Saunders 2016 (both were All Stars)
                    Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

• Nice piece on Jose Bautista:

Bautista, who's playing out his final days with the Blue Jays, has been doubted and vilified every step of the way but the polarizing star always stayed true to himself to become one of baseball's great characters.

Comment

• Thanks for the article. Enjoyed it.

Originally posted by landlord View Post
                        Nice piece on Jose Bautista:

https://t.co/heHmuLgsZK
                        This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pimento Cheese View Post

I'm not sold on any prospect until they excel above A-ball, though Vlad is widely believed to be the real deal.

RE: His defence -- I don't know what it's like, but people might be getting ahead of themselves if they're projecting him as a third-baseman. He has a body-type that makes me think the other corner is in his future, and if there are questions about his defence, surely that's where he'll end up even if he doesn't balloon. A guy can only be so bad at first.
                          The problem with Vlad is that he really has no positional value at this point... though I'm sure his bat will carry him in any position. If you're already talking about an 18 yr old player not being able hold 3rd base in the future, then he likely doesn't have many other options aside from 1st base. Most 3rd basemen in the majors were shortstops late into their minor league career.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pimento Cheese View Post

I think they want Urena to spend a year in AAA first, but if they think he can play in MLB next year, he makes one of Goins or Barney expendable. Both were already out of options going into this year, which took away a bit of flexibility, and I think they'd rather be done with that problem. But they might keep one as a backup so that Urena can get regular at bats in AAA, then bring him up when Travis has his next season-ending injury.

I don't think Urena has any impact on what they do with Donaldson, personally. Urena is unlikely a 3B option (has neither the arm nor the bat for the position), and he doesn't free anyone else up to move to third. But there could be offseason moves that change that.
                            I'm not really sold on Urena. He strikes out waaaay too much.

Comment

• Morosi reporting the Jays and Estrada are close on an extension deal

Comment

• So I'm reading about former Jay (et al.) Raul Mondesi getting sentenced to 8 years in the DR for political corruption. Blue Jays game is on in another tab but they're trailing by 11-odd runs and my mind has wandered. Always the optimist when it comes to the Jays, however, I decide to have another look-see at the game. It would be an improbable comeback, no doubt, but, on the other hand, it'd be a shame to miss it if it happened, wouldn't it? Plus, I don't even have to leave my seat.

Turns out the Royals are at the plate, as they have been all night, and who comes up but one Raul Mondesi. Not "Raul Mondesi, Jr.," just Raul Mondesi. I Google around a bit and it seems he is indeed the son of the soon-to-be-incarcerated former mayor of San Cristobal, DR. He just seemed a happy kid, happy to be getting a major-league at-bat. Maybe he doesn't know. Or maybe he knows and is handling it the best he can.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                                X