Collapse

Anyone boycotting US travel

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone boycotting US travel

I won't be changing my plans or boycotting anything in terms of travel for the US. The discrepancy in the dollar will do that for me!
    "It took me 17 years to get 3000 hits. I did it in one afternoon on the golf course."
    --Hank Aaron

Comment

Why wouldn't I go ? I love the golf , and it's their politics not mine , totally out of my hands so why worry and boycott ? Just go enjoy ! I'm not going to punish myself .

Comment

A buddy of mine was in Lake Placid last week and on his return trip home had to stop on U.S. side at Buffalo (I think) to have his Passport checked and then on the Canadian side, as normal. What a pain. He said they only had a couple of booths open on the U.S. side and the cars/trucks were backed up.
        Ping G425 Max 9* Driver, Tour 65-S
        Ping G425 SFT 15* 3 Wood, Tour 75-S
        Ping G425 SFT 19* 5 Wood, Tour 75-S
        Ping G425 Max 23.5* 9 Wood, Tour 75-S
        Ping G425 Max 26* 5 Hybrid, Tour 85-S
        Ping S56 Irons, 6 to 9, PW, Aldila VS 85-S
        Ping Tour S, 52/12*, 58/10*,Aldila VS 85-S
        Ping Chip-R, Ping Z115-S (new)
        Ping 35" Tomcat 14 Putter (new)
        Ping "Latitude" Carry Bag
        Nikon Laser 500G Rangefinder

Comment

A friend of mine recently suggested that I was enabling the President by wintering in Alabama. This was my response to him: "... I don't feel that I'm enabling the President by wintering in Alabama. The man will continue to be President whether or not I'm here. Moreover, being here allows me to speak face to face with Americans about the political challenges they're facing. It's noteworthy that more than 50% of those who voted didn't give President Trump their seal of approval." That's my position now. It may change depending on political developments here.
          This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Was he specifically ordered to stop at US Customs on his way out of the country? As I understand it, that is generally not required unless reporting on leaving was made a condition of entry or unless there was a legal requirement to stop, such as exiting the US with $10,000 or more of US currency acquired in the US. I once stopped for the latter reason at a US port of entry before exiting their country.

Originally posted by crunch27 View Post
            A buddy of mine was in Lake Placid last week and on his return trip home had to stop on U.S. side at Buffalo (I think) to have his Passport checked and then on the Canadian side, as normal. What a pain. He said they only had a couple of booths open on the U.S. side and the cars/trucks were backed up.
            This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

The last thing America needs right now is to be isolated from the rest of the world. I think Canadians have a positive influence on their ability to consider alternative approaches to some of their problems.

Comment

Originally posted by mpare View Post
                Was he specifically ordered to stop at US Customs on his way out of the country? As I understand it, that is generally not required unless reporting on leaving was made a condition of entry or unless there was a legal requirement to stop, such as exiting the US with $10,000 or more of US currency acquired in the US. I once stopped for the latter reason at a US port of entry before exiting their country.
                Not on the way out, but on his return trip back into Canada. I hope that is not going to be the norm. It was just a short vacation trip with his wife. Paul and his wife are natural born Canadians, no other nationality, probably 3rd or 4th generation Canadians. Doesn't make sense.

Comment

Not on the way out, but on his return trip back into Canada. I hope that is not going to be the norm. It was just a short vacation trip with his wife. Paul and his wife are natural born Canadians, no other nationality, probably 3rd or 4th generation Canadians. Doesn't make sense.
                  In theory, you need to let the country know that you are leaving, otherwise they might think that you are still there and overstaying your visa. When you enter Canada your entry is noted and that information is shared with the US, so there should be no need to check in with the US. I dont see why your friend would be asked to do that.

Comment

Why would anyone ever be stopped when leaving a country?
                    I have never experienced that.

Comment

Originally posted by mpare View Post
                      ...or unless there was a legal requirement to stop, such as exiting the US with $10,000 or more of US currency acquired in the US.
                      Good to know.
                      I'm going to Las Vegas in April and I'm hoping to come back with a lot more than $10K.

Comment

Originally posted by laps View Post
                        In theory, you need to let the country know that you are leaving, otherwise they might think that you are still there and overstaying your visa. When you enter Canada your entry is noted and that information is shared with the US, so there should be no need to check in with the US. I dont see why your friend would be asked to do that.
                        That's why some people are reconsidering travel there. It's irrationally unpredictable, at least for the next little while. Imagine if you were brown-skinned or of some sort of arabic descent. Or Latino - lots of menace towards them too. Would you go if you were one of them?
                        "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                        ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
                          That's why some people are reconsidering travel there. It's irrationally unpredictable, at least for the next little while. Imagine if you were brown-skinned or of some sort of arabic descent. Or Latino - lots of menace towards them too. Would you go if you were one of them?
                          You might get your Canadian passport stamped REJECTED and be send back to Canada while the white skinned people sent by the same company for the same purpose sailed on through?
                          In The Bag

Golf clubs

"You're just expected to work and die ...
                          and maybe buy some useless s**t you don't need inbetween"

Comment

Greater Essex County (Windsor) School Board has cancelled all trips to the US.

They cannot be sure which students would be allowed and which ones would not.

They will review their options once the uncertainty of the Ban is settled.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windso...o-us-1.3977373
                            "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                            ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Playthru View Post
                              The last thing America needs right now is to be isolated from the rest of the world. I.
                              Agree, but that is what is precisely what they seem intent on doing.

Originally posted by Playthru View Post
                              . I think Canadians have a positive influence on their ability to consider alternative approaches to some of their problems.
                              Nice thought, but Trump does not seem to be willing or able to listen to anyone.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post
                                Why would anyone ever be stopped when leaving a country?
                                I have never experienced that.
                                Times are different. He was totally surprised too. Paul is as "white" as white can be. That shouldn't matter.

Comment