Toronto Maple Leafs 2017 - 2018 thread

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toronto Maple Leafs 2017 - 2018 thread

Originally posted by The Troll View Post
    You're not considering the effects of the expansion draft plus you are overrating Fowler imo.
    They are going to lose a good young d-man, they have to protect Bieksa. They will have to chosse two out of, Vatanen, Fowler, Manson and Lindholm. Considering Perry and Getzlaf are getting older, I guess they let go a younger D.

Comment

Originally posted by wrigley View Post
      They are going to lose a good young d-man, they have to protect Bieksa. They will have to chosse two out of, Vatanen, Fowler, Manson and Lindholm. Considering Perry and Getzlaf are getting older, I guess they let go a younger D.
      Why do they have to protect Bieksa?
      Ping G410 Plus
      Ping G410 3W
      Ping G400 7W or 3H
      Ping G400 4H
      Ping G400 5 - UW
      Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
      Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
      Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
      Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post
        Why do they have to protect Bieksa?
        He has a no trade clause in his contract. They are actively going to try and trade them before the draft but I don't think there would be many takers.

Comment

Originally posted by wrigley View Post
          He has a no trade clause in his contract. They are actively going to try and trade them before the draft but I don't think there would be many takers.
          True, at 35 he couldn't be that appealing to most teams I would imagine.
          Ping G410 Plus
          Ping G410 3W
          Ping G400 7W or 3H
          Ping G400 4H
          Ping G400 5 - UW
          Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
          Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS

Comment

You're not considering the effects of the expansion draft plus you are overrating Fowler imo.
            Do you remember the Taylor Hall for Larsson trade? Hall is 2.5 years younger than JVR and averages .84 points per game while JVR has averaged .64. So Hall is the more valuable player. Yet Larsson while being more physical, is far less accomplished offensively than Fowler and only 11 months younger.

True #1 defense are extremely rare and I do not think that Fowler fits that definition. However he has been/is considered to be the #1 on his team. Fowler's team is in the final 4 in this season's playoffs. 8 points in their first 11 playoff games. That demonstrates how valuable he is.

Fowler and Morgan Rielly are almost the exact same size. Fowler is 27 months older than Rielly. They play about the same type of physical game based on PIM's. Fowler averages 34 points per season, Rielly averages 24.

Would any Leaf fan seriously consider trading Rielly for a JVR type of player?
            Defensemen in the NHL are like pitchers in MLB, if moved they are considered more valuable than forwards, much like pitchers are considered more valuable than a position player.

So not only are you over rating JVR's value, you are undervaluing Fowler.

However stranger trades have happened. which is why some GM's/franchises are perennial losers. And the Ducks have a 'good' group of young defensemen who have developed by leaps and bounds this season., for instance Shea Theodore, Manson (despite his brain cramps last night) Lindholm, Vatanen and Montour are all 25 or younger. They have young Larsson playing in Sweden. And Despres who is also 25 but may not be able to recover from concussion issues. Welinski and Thompson both doing well in the 'A'.
            Last edited by Arthur Dailey; May 19, 2017, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
              Do you remember the Taylor Hall for Larsson trade? Hall is 2.5 years younger than JVR and averages .84 points per game while JVR has averaged .64. So Hall is the more valuable player. Yet Larsson while being more physical, is far less accomplished offensively than Fowler and only 11 months younger.

True #1 defense are extremely rare and I do not think that Fowler fits that definition. However he has been/is considered to be the #1 on his team. Fowler's team is in the final 4 in this season's playoffs. 8 points in their first 11 playoff games. That demonstrates how valuable he is.

Fowler and Morgan Rielly are almost the exact same size. Fowler is 27 months older than Rielly. They play about the same type of physical game based on PIM's. Fowler averages 34 points per season, Rielly averages 24.

Would any Leaf fan seriously consider trading Rielly for a JVR type of player?
              Defensemen in the NHL are like pitchers in MLB, if moved they are considered more valuable than forwards, much like pitchers are considered more valuable than a position player.

So not only are you over rating JVR's value, you are undervaluing Fowler.

However stranger trades have happened. which is why some GM's/franchises are perennial losers. And the Ducks have a 'good' group of young defensemen who have developed by leaps and bounds this season., for instance Shea Theodore, Manson (despite his brain cramps last night) Lindholm, Vatanen and Montour are all 25 or younger. They have young Larsson playing in Sweden. And Despres who is also 25 but may not be able to recover from concussion issues. Welinski and Thompson both doing well in the 'A'.

I think Rielly will have Fowler numbers in two years and possibly surpass him.
              I don't think we need a 27 month older Rielly.
              Ping G410 Plus
              Ping G410 3W
              Ping G400 7W or 3H
              Ping G400 4H
              Ping G400 5 - UW
              Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
              Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS

Comment

Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post
                I think Rielly will have Fowler numbers in two years and possibly surpass him.
                I don't think we need a 27 month older Rielly.
                Agreed. Plus Fowler is a left handed shot.

That is why Tanev seems like the more appropriate fit in Toronto. A defensive, defenseman, who is a right handed shot.

Comment

Agreed. Plus Fowler is a left handed shot.

That is why Tanev seems like the more appropriate fit in Toronto. A defensive, defenseman, who is a right handed shot.
                  A stay at home presence or two in front of the net would compliment our offensive D men nicely.

Who knows if the Caps series would have ended differently if Polak didn't get hurt.
                  Ping G410 Plus
                  Ping G410 3W
                  Ping G400 7W or 3H
                  Ping G400 4H
                  Ping G400 5 - UW
                  Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
                  Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS

Comment

You're still ignoring the realities of the expansion draft which weren't a consideration for the Larsson trade. As well, Fowler, like JVR, is a UFA after next season. Personally I don't overly care for Fowler as, imo, he hasn't played all that well until very recently. In his body of work he is a 3/4 d-man to me. Last summer the Ducks were trying to move on from him due to his play.

The expansion draft means trading Fowler for JVR also allows them to keep (protect) Silfverberg....so really it is a two'fer.

Trading JVR for Fowler would cost the Leafs JVR and Carrick (now unprotected).

There will be teams that get underpaid in the next month.
                    I like big putts and I cannot lie
                    You other putters can't deny
                    That when a putt goes in with an itty bitty pace
                    You're gonna fist pump in their face - Sir Putts-A-Lot

It's how well you golf fast!!!!

Comment

You're still ignoring the realities of the expansion draft which weren't a consideration for the Larsson trade. As well, Fowler, like JVR, is a UFA after next season. Personally I don't overly care for Fowler as, imo, he hasn't played all that well until very recently. In his body of work he is a 3/4 d-man to me. Last summer the Ducks were trying to move on from him due to his play.

The expansion draft means trading Fowler for JVR also allows them to keep (protect) Silfverberg....so really it is a two'fer.

Trading JVR for Fowler would cost the Leafs JVR and Carrick (now unprotected).

There will be teams that get underpaid in the next month.
                      If the Leafs were to get Fowler from the Ducks, it would take more than JVR. That is what I said and I believe that you agree.

Fowler as previously stated is not a true #1. But has filled that role for most of this season.

As a left handed, not particularly physical, player he would help the Leafs by providing more depth, but is not what they need. They require a defensive, right handed shooting defenseman who can play on a top pairing. A shutdown type of guy.

As for Polack, he demonstrated in last year's playoffs how limited he is. He was too slow then and is not getting any faster. He can help in the regular season but not against top quality talent in the final rounds.

Comment

If the Leafs were to get Fowler from the Ducks, it would take more than JVR. That is what I said and I believe that you agree.

Fowler as previously stated is not a true #1. But has filled that role for most of this season.

As a left handed, not particularly physical, player he would help the Leafs by providing more depth, but is not what they need. They require a defensive, right handed shooting defenseman who can play on a top pairing. A shutdown type of guy.

As for Polack, he demonstrated in last year's playoffs how limited he is. He was too slow then and is not getting any faster. He can help in the regular season but not against top quality talent in the final rounds.
                        Polak* was doing a pretty good job against the Caps prior to his injury.
                        Last edited by Mattv88; May 20, 2017, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattv88 View Post
                          Polak* was doing a pretty good job against the Caps prior to his injury.
                          He was exposed in last year's playoffs, particularly in the finals against Pittsburgh. Even though his ice time was curtailed and he was on the 3rd pairing. Their reliance on their top 2 pairings, hurt them as the team progressed.

He had the 2nd worst Fenwick and Corsi numbers of any Shark defenseman in the playoffs.

Also he was one of only two Sharks to finish with a minus in the playoffs. Yes I know that plus/minus is not a great stat but it is somewhat useful when comparing a player to the rest of their team.

Now he might be better under the current Leaf coach's system. After all even Hal Gill looked good in a system that suited him.

Comment

Sounds like they should target that big, right shot D that's with Ottawa right now. Maybe we can pry him away as they may not want to pay him after this playoff run? Anyone remember his name?

Comment

Originally posted by High cut View Post
                              Sounds like they should target that big, right shot D that's with Ottawa right now. Maybe we can pry him away as they may not want to pay him after this playoff run? Anyone remember his name?
                              Ottawa will never trade Karlsson
                              Ping G410 Plus
                              Ping G410 3W
                              Ping G400 7W or 3H
                              Ping G400 4H
                              Ping G400 5 - UW
                              Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
                              Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS

Comment

Originally posted by High cut View Post
                                #1 defensemen are probably the hardest to find and most valuable commodity in the NHL. Particularly if they are right handed shots.

I am sure that Leaf fans would be quite happy if management were able to find them a Sylvain Lefebvre or Bob Rouse type of player.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X