Toronto Maple Leafs 2017 - 2018 thread

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toronto Maple Leafs 2017 - 2018 thread

Originally posted by Fredk View Post
    Someone in the organization thinks he has a role to play beyond next season.
    Unless he takes a big pay cut, I don't see where he fits in the salary cap. In a couple of years, the Leafs will have to pay some big dollars to sign Mathews, Nylander and Marner. Also they might resign JVR.

Comment

Re: Toronto Maple Leafs 2017 - 2018 thread

Originally posted by wrigley View Post
      Unless he takes a big pay cut, I don't see where he fits in the salary cap. In a couple of years, the Leafs will have to pay some big dollars to sign Mathews, Nylander and Marner. Also they might resign JVR.
      Except that he's been protected. I have no idea why, but there it is.
      In The Bag

Golf clubs

"You're just expected to work and die ...
      and maybe buy some useless s**t you don't need inbetween"

Comment

Wow, active draft day and no Leaf comments? Had to dig this off the 6th page..

+Hainsey -Hunwik, probably an upgrade though still a 5/6 guy I expect. Hoping Polak comes back happy. Always liked Dominic Moore and maybe a serviceable 4th line center.

No big splashes for sure though, slow and steady...

P

Comment

Originally posted by petvan View Post

+Hainsey -Hunwik, probably an upgrade though still a 5/6 guy I expect. Hoping Polak comes back happy. Always liked Dominic Moore and maybe a serviceable 4th line center.

No big splashes for sure though, slow and steady...

P
          Not impressed at all by MLSE...I'd rather have taken Cammalleri for the same money for a 4th line center...Burmistrov went for a bargain to Canucks, I'd roll the dice with him, he's only 25.

Moore is older and concussed. Not sure what they saw in that transaction unless he heads down to the Marlies.

Comment

Originally posted by levendis View Post

Not impressed at all by MLSE...I'd rather have taken Cammalleri for the same money for a 4th line center...Burmistrov went for a bargain to Canucks, I'd roll the dice with him, he's only 25.

Moore is older and concussed. Not sure what they saw in that transaction unless he heads down to the Marlies.
            Agree
            Hainsey's 7th team - journeyman and a bust of a #1 draft choice - don't know what Montreal ever saw in him and he's lucky he played with some crappy defensive teams where he could get ice time and stand out - he was lucky insurance for Letang going out
            Moore - there has to be some better centre depth in the leaf org than this. Gauthier's leg injury must be way more serious than thought
            Totally underwhelming but at least leafs are staying the course
            Surprised Boyle could not wait to get out of Toronto as he took average money with a chit team in New Jersey

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post

Agree
              Hainsey's 7th team - journeyman and a bust of a #1 draft choice - don't know what Montreal ever saw in him and he's lucky he played with some crappy defensive teams where he could get ice time and stand out - he was lucky insurance for Letang going out
              Moore - there has to be some better centre depth in the leaf org than this. Gauthier's leg injury must be way more serious than thought
              Totally underwhelming but at least leafs are staying the course
              Surprised Boyle could not wait to get out of Toronto as he took average money with a chit team in New Jersey
              packman..don't even get me started with Hainsey!! Another older guy that was on a stacked team. Bolts landed Girardi for the same money as well

Freddy won't be playing til at least November or early December.

Comment

I'm okay with the Leafs moves; the management team has done it right so far and they have my trust. Moore is a 4th line guy who can kill penalties and win face offs, which they need. Hainsey is a 3rd pairing guy who replaces Hunwick.

Comment

Don't believe that there is any GM who would trade Hunwick straight up for Hainsey? So the Leafs got older (4 years) and slower and therefore possibly 'worse' on their blueline. Although they do add the experience of a Cup ring.

Moore is a good compliment to the youth on the team. An Ivy League educated guy who can still skate and is happy to play in Toronto and content with and understands the role of a 4th liner. Will give Gauthier the chance to fully recover and then rehab in the 'A' and hopefully be ready the following year for a fulltime role in The Show.
                  Last edited by Arthur Dailey; Jul 3, 2017, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by levendis View Post

Cammalleri is a winger.. Doesn't help plug the faceoff hole that losing Boyle and in general they like to have centering the fourth line. Hainsey brings some experience to the room and is probably a 1:1 for Hunwick which was a gap, plus we don't commit too much cap room to anyone.

Too much dough going out to the top of this FA class which wasn't very strong. Rather sit most of this one ouch which the Leafs did so I'm happy.

P

Comment

Leads sign Patrick Marleau to a 3 year contract. Have to say this surprises me.

Comment

Originally posted by petvan View Post
                        Linjegren is the only significant move this year and we won`t see anything of him for at least a year. It will be interesting to see how deep into the playoffs the team will make it this year. Hopefully all of last season`s rookie class continues to develop.
                        In The Bag

Golf clubs

"You're just expected to work and die ...
                        and maybe buy some useless s**t you don't need inbetween"

Comment

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post
                          Leads sign Patrick Marleau to a 3 year contract. Have to say this surprises me.
                          And for a heavy contract?? Not sure if that's a good move, considering he'll be 38 when the puck drops in Oct.

Does anyone else think that we haven't our biggest need....DEFENSE?

Marlueau money could have got a good player on the blue line.

Comment

Pretty sure having Marleau and paying him out mostly in year one both makes him easy to dump if needed, and also gives them the depth to trade one of the younger guys (JVR comes to mind) in a package to improve the D. Don't really think the D was getting fixed in free agency, at least the right way.
                            Last edited by petvan; Jul 3, 2017, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Why do Leafs want to keep trading a 25-30 goal scorer in JVR all the time?? Goals are hard to come by.

i like the Marleau addition not the 3 year deal. He can skate and finish still and the guy rarely misses any games.

Hainsey i like also. If you saw the way he played in the finals he'll make a good bottom pairing Dman that can move up if need be.
                              Last edited by Lefty17; Jul 3, 2017, 06:56 AM.
                              Titleist TSi 3 w/ Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green 6.5
                              Titleist TSi 3wd Ventus 7X
                              Taylor Made Stealth+ Hybrid 19.5 Kai lia 95x
                              Titleist T-100 KBS Tour 130x
                              Taylor Made Hi Toe 50-54-58 DGS400
                              Ping Redwood Anser 35" Black Finish!!!
                              Ping Hoofer

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty17 View Post
                                Why do Leafs want to keep trading a 25-30 goal scorer in JVR all the time?? Goals are hard to come by.
                                So are good young d-men.. Gotta give to get.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X