Collapse

Anyone drive an electric vehicle?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still driving an EV, still loving it.

Drive it all winter, from KW to Collingwood every weekend and no issues. No L2 charging in Collingwood, but I keep the battery warm and add 15-18% overnight using a regular wall plug. Summer is not an issue relying on public charging as the options have increased greatly over the past few years.
    10 degree Cobra Fly-Z+ / Matrix White Tie 55X4
    16 degree Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 / Fujikura Speeder 865
    20 degree Ping Rapture V2 Hybrid / MR JavlinFX
    4-AW Nike Vapor Pro Combo / DG Pro

54, 58 degree Ping Glide / CFS
    Ping Anser Redwood

Srixon ZStar XV

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post

I had a Zipcar membership for many years. But they deleted so many locations and reduced their fleet by so much that I gave it up.

If you travel in the US, its still quite good -- they fell off during the pandemic, but Zipcar seems to be fine for me up here in the GTA for my uses these days -- but I have a grandfathered plan from 2010 so maybe I'm not the best to comment on signing up as a new member post 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by eastendduffer View Post

If you travel in the US, its still quite good -- they fell off during the pandemic, but Zipcar seems to be fine for me up here in the GTA for my uses these days -- but I have a grandfathered plan from 2010 so maybe I'm not the best to comment on signing up as a new member post 2020.
        I joined Zipcar around the same time as you. Back then they had vehicles at every university and college campus in the GTA, plus at some suburban malls.

Let my membership lapse when I checked and all their vehicles were basically in the downtown core.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post

I joined Zipcar around the same time as you. Back then they had vehicles at every university and college campus in the GTA, plus at some suburban malls.

Let my membership lapse when I checked and all their vehicles were basically in the downtown core.
          What else can I say -- there's tons of coverage in the US and in Toronto proper (I'm in the east end and have quite a few options at TTC and GO stations) -- if that doesn't work for you -- then sure, it simply doesn't work.

But it works great for me -- so there ya go.

Maybe Communato might be an option? I haven't looked into it as I get the job done with Zipcar.

Cheers

Comment

I was in Australia for 3 months...noticed loads of China
            built EV cars built by BYD.....very popular good looking
            vehicles....

Comment

Originally posted by northernpro View Post
              I was in Australia for 3 months...noticed loads of China
              built EV cars built by BYD.....very popular good looking
              vehicles....
              They are nice looking - better price point. think they beat Tesla on units sold last year.

BYD is making inroads into Tesla’s dominance of the Aussie EV landscape, but can the new Seal really threaten the latest Model 3?

Comment

Senate Banking Committee chair called Chinese EVs an "existential threat" to the US motor industry.

Comment

A bit off topic, but this humorous meme does capture my feelings, misguided though they may be, about EVs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Internal Combustion.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	3758829
                  This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Informative article in "The Atlantic" online about the EV industry in the US and the existential threat from China's BYD, the largest manufacturer of EV's in the world.

The US's 25% tariff is an effective barrier to BYD sales in the US. Chinese EV's are significantly cheaper (for many reasons including subsidies and lax labour laws) and are a full-product line (over 100 models) compared to US-made EVs. Chinese EVs dominate sales in Europe where there are fewer obstacles to entry. Without protection, US makers would be priced out of the market with job and general economic impacts.

But, after being slow off the mark in the technology race, the US industry behind a tariff wall is not especially motivated to make the investments to be competitive even with substantial bribes from taxpayers. In the meantime (probably years...if not a decade) US consumers get a limited, overpriced menu of less-than-leading edge EVs. The tariffs just put off the day of reckoning and the political environment ensures protection will continue. The future is likely a US-China joint venture but it will take a "Nixon-goes-to-China" moment...and an economic cataclysm and regime/attitude change in Beijing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                      Informative article in "The Atlantic" online about the EV industry in the US and the existential threat from China's BYD, the largest manufacturer of EV's in the world.

The US's 25% tariff is an effective barrier to BYD sales in the US. Chinese EV's are significantly cheaper (for many reasons including subsidies and lax labour laws) and are a full-product line (over 100 models) compared to US-made EVs. Chinese EVs dominate sales in Europe where there are fewer obstacles to entry. Without protection, US makers would be priced out of the market with job and general economic impacts.

But, after being slow off the mark in the technology race, the US industry behind a tariff wall is not especially motivated to make the investments to be competitive even with substantial bribes from taxpayers. In the meantime (probably years...if not a decade) US consumers get a limited, overpriced menu of less-than-leading edge EVs. The tariffs just put off the day of reckoning and the political environment ensures protection will continue. The future is likely a US-China joint venture but it will take a "Nixon-goes-to-China" moment...and an economic cataclysm and regime/attitude change in Beijing.
                      The Chinese are very good at acting in their own best interest. I would like to see the logic behind the conclusion of an economic cataclysm and regime /attitude change resulting from an electric car deal.
                      Ping G430 9*, Ping Tour Chrome 65g Reg flex
                      Ping G430 Max 3w and 5w, 75g Ping Tour Chrome Reg flex
                      Ping G430 Max 22* Hybrid 85g Ping tour Max Reg flex
                      TM P790 irons, 5-AW, DG R300U 105gm
                      Ping Glide 54/12 and 58/08 wedges
                      Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 33”​

Comment

Originally posted by duffer_mcmulligan View Post

The Chinese are very good at acting in their own best interest.
                        in contrast to the rest of the world?
                        What's in the Sunmountain 4.5?

10.5 M2 with Speeder 77 Stiff 3 wood shaft
                        TM Rescue 17*
                        TM M2 4-AW
                        TM RAC 52/56 CG15 60
                        Odyssey 2 Ball with Superstroke Fatso

Comment

Originally posted by ace in the hazard View Post

in contrast to the rest of the world?
                          I would say the west ( Europe, North America) can be influenced by concepts of “ greater good” etc , like the governmental stances on climate policy. They will horse trade somewhat for the greater good of multiple nations in limited instances, where the domestic impact is minimal.

I don’t believe from everything I have seen, that the Deng administration is bothered by any of that. It is a hyper focus of remaining in power and pushing their ideological direction, get rid of dissent in any way required.

Comment

The Chinese are very good at acting in their own best interest. I would like to see the logic behind the conclusion of an economic cataclysm and regime /attitude change resulting from an electric car deal.
                            I suppose I was not clear in my posting....your post has the causality backwards. The economic crisis and regime change may lead to the EV partnership, not the other way around. As to the possibility of these events occurring, it was not too long ago that China drastically reversed course from Mao's "Great Leap Forward" disaster to embracing state-directed capitalism with huge economic gains for significant segments of the population.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post

I suppose I was not clear in my posting....your post has the causality backwards. The economic crisis and regime change may lead to the EV partnership, not the other way around. As to the possibility of these events occurring, it was not too long ago that China drastically reversed course from Mao's "Great Leap Forward" disaster to embracing state-directed capitalism with huge economic gains for significant segments of the population.
                              I hadn’t read the article, my comment was more generic than that. If you have a link, I am keen to read it.

Comment

I hadn’t read the article, my comment was more generic than that. If you have a link, I am keen to read it.
                                The article does not speculate on future joint partnerships between the US and Chinese auto industries....that was my speculation about a future Modus Operandi because the US industry would likely not survive an unprotected market.

Eventually, US consumers will revolt against being robbed by the home industry....even if it means unemployment for many. A joint venture with China may also be the least expensive way to meet the future more stringent emissions standards for US new car fleets. But, China will also need a crisis to change their behaviour because they are winning the EV market war now and have no incentive to change course....unless over the next 20 years the last unsaturated market is the US.

Try accessing The Atlantic online, sometimes they have free trial memberships.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X