Collapse

Extradition- USA/Canada/China

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extradition- USA/Canada/China

after hearing the results of the first phase of the extradition trial..Canada is sure to take many more bullets for the U.S.
    The Michaels will rot in a Chinese prison and Canadian farmers and raw material exporters have lost their market..
    does it pay to be a friend to Uncle Sam....

The Global Times..China's national newspaper calls Canadians ..clowns obeying
    our masters...Canada better find some new customers..fast

Comment

The extradition hearing for Meng Wanzhou, the Chinese national whom Canada arrested many months ago on a warrant issued by the USA, will proceed. As a result of this judicial ruling, Canada’s icy relations with China will likely continue. China is mightily annoyed by the detention of this senior Huawei official.

After four months of deliberation, B.C. Supreme Court Associate Chief Justice Heather Holmes has delivered her ruling on whether the offence of which Meng Wenzhou is accused would be considered a crime in Canada.

Some have argued that we should have cut Ms. Wanzhou loose long ago, because it would have been better for our economic relations with China as well as the Canadians being detained in China. That’s true, but such a move would have come at a great cost. First, it would have confirmed to all our extradition partners that Canada’s commitment to these treaties is weak; that under pressure, Canada can’t be counted on to live up to its agreements. Second, it would have signalled to China and other nations that the strength of Canada’s commitment to law is malleable.

This wasn’t an easy decision for Canada, but it was the correct one. As for whether Ms. Wanzhou will ever stand trial in the US that’s not certain. We don’t yet know what the outcome of the extradition hearing will be. Even if the judge rules that she is eligible to for extradition, the Minister of Justice might decide not to turn her over. That’s very unlikely, however. This drama is far from over.
      This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

I know she has an ankle bracelet, but what's to prevent her from jumping in a private jet and heading back to China?

Comment

Looks like I don't have to cancel my dim sum lunch with Meng this Friday

Comment

Originally posted by wrigley View Post
            I know she has an ankle bracelet, but what's to prevent her from jumping in a private jet and heading back to China?
            A security firm is ensuring she doesn't take off.
            At least Meng is paying for the $1M/year security.

Her life here in Vancouver is pretty nice ...she has 2 multi-million homes in a great neighbourhood here....nice weather, etc.
            She can go about in the GVRD...heck she could even go play golf.
            She's not suffering here.
            I also think her children are with her..they attend school here.

I don't know why she'd want to head back to China.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4757237/m...zhou-security/
            Last edited by Mr22putt; May 27, 2020, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Tough decision. Hopefully the right one.
              Gone golfin' ... be back about dark-thirty.

Comment

Originally posted by northernpro View Post
                after hearing the results of the first phase of the extradition trial..Canada is sure to take many more bullets for the U.S.
                The Michaels will rot in a Chinese prison and Canadian farmers and raw material exporters have lost their market..
                does it pay to be a friend to Uncle Sam....
                Who cares what China thinks? There is a bigger issue here and it's called soverignity. And not getting pushed around by someone being a bully because they are 'very displeased'.
                My Weapons of Grass Destruction:
                Titleist TS2 10.5*
                Titleist 917F2 15*
                Titleist 818H1 19*
                Titleist 716 AP2 4-P
                Vokey SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M
                Odyssey Black Series 3
                Round white things with a bunch of dimples and scrapes

Comment

Originally posted by paperclip View Post

Who cares what China thinks? There is a bigger issue here and it's called sovereignty. And not getting pushed around by someone being a bully because they are 'very displeased'.
                  very true.
                  Mainland wants to be the impugn bull in its China shop. Me break it now, because I want to , because I can.
                  The bill comes at the end, regardless.

Pompeo is suggesting we make Hong Kong a poison meal for them if they do.

After being responsible for the release of CV19 onto the rest of the world, Mainland has Zero empathy waiting for them from the other nations.
                  Last edited by bl8d; May 28, 2020, 04:47 AM.
                  things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

I guess we all know that the U.S. makes the rules for the world now..it's all about
                    killing off a Chinese company that is threatening US dominance in the tech
                    industry..

Comment

It may have been the right decision but, can we expect the US government to have our back on this? My fear, is we go through all this crap, pay a deep price with China and the US government goes oopsie, we change our mind, we will not take this any further. We will then have china pissed with us and we will be pissed with the US and the biggest loser is.....

Comment

You raise an important point to which I have no solution save capitulating to China, which is no solution at all.

Originally posted by bobby Jones View Post
                        It may have been the right decision but, can we expect the US government to have our back on this? My fear, is we go through all this crap, pay a deep price with China and the US government goes oopsie, we change our mind, we will not take this any further. We will then have china pissed with us and we will be pissed with
                        the US and the biggest loser is.....

Comment

How would people feel if they were a Kovrig or Spavor family member, does this decision change their mental state any.

Comment

Whether Canada complies with its extradition obligations is a decision of state. While one may be sympathetic to, and feel compassion for, Messrs. Kovrig and Spavor and their families, those feelings and their plight as de facto hostages shouldn’t cause Canada to abandon its treaty obligations. Having said that, Canada should take all reasonable steps to secure their release. Any other reaction by the Canadian government will invite further blackmail by foreign states who are displeased with our actions.

Originally posted by Netz View Post
                            How would people feel if they were a Kovrig or Spavor family
                            member, does this decision change their mental state any.

Comment

I think its time Canada moves Meng into prison and see how quickly China then reacts. Our Canadians are not getting the same freedoms that she is receiving.....

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                              X