Collapse

Toronto Maple Leafs 2021-2022 Thread

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bcampb00 View Post

You still need a goalie and a big minute dman - that will use up a good chunk of the $10 million.
    The goalie could be someone like Woll or Scott. Jack is only making 1.65 vs. Fred's 5. Fred and Jack were 6.65 million for tandem. You can whittle the tandem down to under 3 million. That's 3.65, or more, right there.

As for D. The good news is Rielly was such a liability defensively, you could replace him with a Hainsey-type who eats big minutes and gain on the D side, while losing a lot on the O side. Should be able to gain 3 or more million there depending on how they'd handle his replacement. That is a net of at least 6 million, and you can get a fine addition for that, in this flat to negative cap upcoming season.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeanAvery2point0 View Post

I think we agree, but for different reasons. I don’t think Marner will be wearing a Leafs jersey next year due to a lack of interest or ‘diminished value’. He is too big of a piece to give up on and doing so would leave a gaping hole in the Leafs offense. Marner is one of the premier playmakers in the NHL.
      Except during the playoffs. I think you are right though, he won't get traded. Either Marner learns to up his game for the playoffs or the Leafs languish with his very expensive contract. It's a gamble management chose to take. Hope it pays off.
      In The Bag

Golf clubs

"You're just expected to work and die ...
      and maybe buy some useless s**t you don't need inbetween"

Comment

• "I think" if the Leafs make the playoffs next year (tough to say if they will, what with the divisions re-aligning to what they used to be), I'm hoping to see a different Marner. One that'll be willing to take a hit come playoff time and hopefully can put more pucks in the net. My logic being if a small guy like Brayden Point (TBL) can get points, I don't see why Marner can't (even guys like the Habs' Suzuki or even Kotkaniemi are kinda small-ish and putting up playoff points)...

And if you look at the 2015 draft, he's got the 2nd amount of points behind only McDavid. I think if the Leafs had Tavares for the entire series, its possible they most likely could've gotten over the hump... They did pretty okay getting it to 7 with only Nylander producing goals...

Comment

• Originally posted by Fredk View Post
          Except during the playoffs. I think you are right though, he won't get traded. Either Marner learns to up his game for the playoffs or the Leafs languish with his very expensive contract. It's a gamble management chose to take. Hope it pays off.
          He does have 25pts in 32 playoff games (0.78PPG), which isn’t significantly less than his career regular season statistics (1.008PPG) and that is generally to be expected in the playoffs when the game gets tighter. In 2017-18 he had 9pts in 7 games against Boston. The problem is Marner, as well as the rest of this core, fail to produce when it matters most (elimination games).

I have faith that Marner and the rest of this group will break through. I am only open to ‘moving on’ from Rielly because (1) he is going to need resigned and (2) he is ‘starting’ to get older. Trading him for a more physical but equally as skilled player like Seth Jones who is also going to be a pending UFA would be an upgrade, even if the Leafs had to add. There aren’t too many trades I would be willing to make that involve one of Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Rielly, or Sandin.

Comment

• Originally posted by TMAzng01f3R View Post
            "I think" if the Leafs make the playoffs next year (tough to say if they will, what with the divisions re-aligning to what they used to be), I'm hoping to see a different Marner. One that'll be willing to take a hit come playoff time and hopefully can put more pucks in the net. My logic being if a small guy like Brayden Point (TBL) can get points, I don't see why Marner can't (even guys like the Habs' Suzuki or even Kotkaniemi are kinda small-ish and putting up playoff points)...

And if you look at the 2015 draft, he's got the 2nd amount of points behind only McDavid. I think if the Leafs had Tavares for the entire series, its possible they most likely could've gotten over the hump... They did pretty okay getting it to 7 with only Nylander producing goals...
            Muzzin being out for most of game 6 and all of game 7 didn’t help.

Comment

"I think" if the Leafs make the playoffs next year (tough to say if they will, what with the divisions re-aligning to what they used to be), I'm hoping to see a different Marner. One that'll be willing to take a hit come playoff time and hopefully can put more pucks in the net. My logic being if a small guy like Brayden Point (TBL) can get points, I don't see why Marner can't (even guys like the Habs' Suzuki or even Kotkaniemi are kinda small-ish and putting up playoff points)...

Pretty sure Marner will be in the blue and white next year.
              Ping G410 Plus
              Ping G410 3W
              Ping G400 7W or 3H
              Ping G400 4H
              Ping G400 5 - UW
              Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
              Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
              Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
              Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

• Being born a Torontonian and having fond memories watching Leaf games with my dad (Gilmore/Clark era, Sundin/Cujo and Belfour era, Kessel/Phaneuf era), they'll still hold a place in my heart for those times/playoff wins and if they can win a playoff series with this current core, I'll definitely take my Maple Leaf hats out of retirement and root for them again!

But until then and having been living here on the west coast the last few yrs, I've gone ahead and purchased a Seattle Kraken hat. I'll secretly root for them here and there but probably won't follow them until again, they get over these playoff humps... I think the last few seasons have been pretty painful being a Leaf fan.

I don't know what's worse; being up 4-1 against Boston 8 yrs ago with 10 min. to go in the game to win the series, only to choke and blow it in overtime OR being up 3-1 against the Habs THIS YR only to watch them lose 3 in a row and get eliminated. (other notables; losing to Columbus last yr in the "qualifier" and losing game 7 to Boston a few seasons ago with a 1 goal lead heading into the 3rd period :-().

Comment

Being born a Torontonian and having fond memories watching Leaf games with my dad (Gilmore/Clark era, Sundin/Cujo and Belfour era, Kessel/Phaneuf era), they'll still hold a place in my heart for those times/playoff wins and if they can win a playoff series with this current core, I'll definitely take my Maple Leaf hats out of retirement and root for them again!

But until then and having been living here on the west coast the last few yrs, I've gone ahead and purchased a Seattle Kraken hat. I'll secretly root for them here and there but probably won't follow them until again, they get over these playoff humps... I think the last few seasons have been pretty painful being a Leaf fan.

I don't know what's worse; being up 4-1 against Boston 8 yrs ago with 10 min. to go in the game to win the series, only to choke and blow it in overtime OR being up 3-1 against the Habs THIS YR only to watch them lose 3 in a row and get eliminated. (other notables; losing to Columbus last yr in the "qualifier" and losing game 7 to Boston a few seasons ago with a 1 goal lead heading into the 3rd period :-().
                  I plan on cheering for the Kraken as well, but I will still watch every Leafs game, regardless of
                  how many times they make me curse or how high my blood pressure gets.

Comment

• Down Goes Brown posted this about the Leafs prior to Game 7

They’ll lose, and then the familiar process will begin. Blurry-eyed soundbites from the postgame news conference, trying to process what just happened. Stoic statement from cleanout day, vowing that it will not happen again, and this time they really mean it. Predictions of big offseason changes. Calls to blow the whole thing up and start over. A contest in the media to be the one with the loudest, dumbest hot take, where everyone ties for first, and also last

And since Montreal swept Winnipeg shouldn't Toronto fans perhaps give more credit to Les Canadiens playing well rather than focusing on Toronto 'choking'?

And if Tavares was not injured, is there any doubt that he would score one or two goals. And even one goal at the right time (say in either game 5 or 6) could changed the entire outcome of the series

Not sure that many would bet on Price, Weber, Perry and Staal picking their games up in the playoffs. But then few would be extremely shocked if they did so. Even if only for a few rounds.

As for Seth Jones. A top defenseman like him is a key component and would greatly improve just about any team. Just like Dougie Hamilton, drafted with a choice the Leafs traded away.

Despite analytics, drafting is still nearly as much about luck as it is about analytics, Just look at the results from drafts and the players taken in late or middle rounds who become stars and the ones taken early who do not pan out.

Comment

Being born a Torontonian and having fond memories watching Leaf games with my dad (Gilmore/Clark era, Sundin/Cujo and Belfour era, Kessel/Phaneuf era), they'll still hold a place in my heart for those times/playoff wins and if they can win a playoff series with this current core, I'll definitely take my Maple Leaf hats out of retirement and root for them again!

I'm going to follow the Kraken. Pretty fun following a team from their inception. A rare opportunity to do that, that may not come again.

Was bound and determined to quit on the Leafs like they quit but not sure I can do it. Perhaps, they'll do something this off-season that will inspire me but I know that won't be coming via the draft.

For me, anything that happened during the COVID-era of sports doesn't mean as much. Had the Leafs won the Cup, I would've had it asterisked in my mind. If that day should ever come, I want it won and hoisted during a legit season. Not this *******ized version of the game that was played just so players could get their paychecks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
                        [SUB]Down Goes Brown posted this about the Leafs prior to Game 7

And since Montreal swept Winnipeg shouldn't Toronto fans perhaps give more credit to Les Canadiens playing well rather than focusing on Toronto 'choking'?

Yes, but that's not how Leafs fans roll ...
                        In The Bag

Golf clubs

"You're just expected to work and die ...
                        and maybe buy some useless s**t you don't need inbetween"

Comment

• Originally posted by MapleMania View Post

The goalie could be someone like Woll or Scott. Jack is only making 1.65 vs. Fred's 5. Fred and Jack were 6.65 million for tandem. You can whittle the tandem down to under 3 million. That's 3.65, or more, right there.

As for D. The good news is Rielly was such a liability defensively, you could replace him with a Hainsey-type who eats big minutes and gain on the D side, while losing a lot on the O side. Should be able to gain 3 or more million there depending on how they'd handle his replacement. That is a net of at least 6 million, and you can get a fine addition for that, in this flat to negative cap upcoming season.
                          I would be a little concerned about heading into a season with Jack Campbell as your number 1 guy. It wasn’t long ago that he let in a goal at a critical juncture that most peewee goalies stop. He played really well during stretches this season, but is is quite unproven whether he can take the no. 1 spot and be dependable.

I think a lot of leaf fans underrate Reilly due to his occasional defensive lapse. A “Hainsey type” to replace him? That would make an offensively challenged back end for Toronto. Maybe Sandin will step up but he looked more like a defensive liability in the playoffs.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeanAvery2point0 View Post

I think we agree, but for different reasons. I don’t think Marner will be wearing a Leafs jersey next year due to a lack of interest or ‘diminished value’. He is too big of a piece to give up on and doing so would leave a gaping hole in the Leafs offense. Marner is one of the premier playmakers in the NHL.
                            I agree with that- Marner is an elite playmaker. If his contract was $7.5 million there wouldn’t be anything to debate. Question becomes would other teams give up valuable pieces (young, talented, untapped potential, good contracts) for an elite $11 million playmaker who’s track record of non-performance in the playoffs is getting longer.

Marner is too valuable to the leafs to give up on him without a great return. OTOH, Marner might benefit from a change of scenery. Marner for Draisitil? Those Edmonton guys might need a little change of scenery as well. Pettersen?

Comment

• Originally posted by bcampb00 View Post

I would be a little concerned about heading into a season with Jack Campbell as your number 1 guy. It wasn’t long ago that he let in a goal at a critical juncture that most peewee goalies stop. He played really well during stretches this season, but is is quite unproven whether he can take the no. 1 spot and be dependable.

I think a lot of leaf fans underrate Reilly due to his occasional defensive lapse. A “Hainsey type” to replace him? That would make an offensively challenged back end for Toronto. Maybe Sandin will step up but he looked more like a defensive liability in the playoffs.
                              Sandin needs to get stronger so guys like Corey Perry can't blow him up and steal his lunch money. However, he's really not that much worse defensively than Rielly, who is absolutely atrocious. Sandin has enough offense in his game to mitigate Rielly's loss. Been hoping Hollowell or Duszak can eventually make the leap, especially to provide offensive punch.

To be clear, I was no Ron Hainsey fan. Cap needs to be culled. Sometimes you need to do things you don't want to do.

Campbell is a question mentally. I was worried about him heading into the playoffs. He didn't gag until Game 7 which isn't unlike FredEx. Again, this is another situation where beggars can't be choosers. Campbell did set a regular season record for consecutive wins to start a season. Even the great Tuuka Rask can have a bad moment in a big spot. In a critical Game 5, Rask found himself on the bench for the 3rd period after giving up 4 to the Isles on a small number of shots. Not like they're going to put their faith in Michael Hutchinson. Wouldn't be too surprised to see Veini Vevilainen get a shot. Leafs were really high on him.

Every off-season is exciting but this one has to be up there given the cap issues and coming off 5 straight series losses. Has to be intense pressure to get this ship righted so it can win when it counts. Curious to see what Kyle and Pridham come up with.

Comment

• Originally posted by MapleMania View Post

Sandin needs to get stronger so guys like Corey Perry can't blow him up and steal his lunch money. However, he's really not that much worse defensively than Rielly, who is absolutely atrocious. Sandin has enough offense in his game to mitigate Rielly's loss. Been hoping Hollowell or Duszak can eventually make the leap, especially to provide offensive punch.

To be clear, I was no Ron Hainsey fan. Cap needs to be culled. Sometimes you need to do things you don't want to do.

Campbell is a question mentally. I was worried about him heading into the playoffs. He didn't gag until Game 7 which isn't unlike FredEx. Again, this is another situation where beggars can't be choosers. Campbell did set a regular season record for consecutive wins to start a season. Even the great Tuuka Rask can have a bad moment in a big spot. In a critical Game 5, Rask found himself on the bench for the 3rd period after giving up 4 to the Isles on a small number of shots. Not like they're going to put their faith in Michael Hutchinson. Wouldn't be too surprised to see Veini Vevilainen get a shot. Leafs were really high on him.

Every off-season is exciting but this one has to be up there given the cap issues and coming off 5 straight series losses. Has to be intense pressure to get this ship righted so it can win when it counts. Curious to see what Kyle and Pridham come up with.
                                That sounds like the same strategy Dubas had for last year. Stay with the pricey core, fill in around them with a bunch of replacement parts from the bargain bin (Spezza, Thornton, Simmonds, ....) and hope that the pricey core learns from past failures and steps up in the playoffs.

I think Hyman and Anderson will be big losses. Foligno didn’t have a chance to prove much but he will be a loss as well. Hopefully this years bargain bin yields better results - especially in the playoffs. Hard to be confident about that though.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X