Collapse

Catholic School assigns Pro Life homework

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catholic School assigns Pro Life homework

A touchy subject indeed. Strong feelings on both side of this debate.

But what I’m troubled by is Grade 8 students being indoctrinated into religious beliefs on the taxpayer’s dime.

I was born and raised as a Catholic. In Grade 10 (not a Catholic school of course) I had an English teacher who taught me to think for myself. It was a very freeing moment. To that point I assumed everything I’d learned in church was simply the truth because it was what I was taught to be true. Since then I don’t assume things to be true.

I really don’t care for the idea of the Catholic board in general, at least not being funded by public money. Particularly when “brain-washing” is part of their curriculum.

Originally posted by Marty Canuck View Post

But what I’m troubled by is Grade 8 students being indoctrinated into religious beliefs on the taxpayer’s dime.

I was born and raised as a Catholic. In Grade 10 (not a Catholic school of course) I had an English teacher who taught me to think for myself. It was a very freeing moment. To that point I assumed everything I’d learned in church was simply the truth because it was what I was taught to be true. Since then I don’t assume things to be true.

I really don’t care for the idea of the Catholic board in general, at least not being funded by public money. Particularly when “brain-washing” is part of their curriculum.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...s8D?li=AAggNb9
    Just imagine the furor if it were the other way around, and school kids were being forced to make posters for a Pro Choice event. Also seems a bit shocking that there's prize money involved.
    We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
    Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
    Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
    Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
    Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
    Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
    Srixon Star XV
    Ogio Grom bag

Comment

If they were in Florida, the parents could sue.
      TorontoGolfNuts.com/TGNFantasy

Comment

As someone who was born and raised as Catholic, I can confidently state that this is a perfect example of why faith based schools should not receive public funding.

If you wish your children to go to a faith based school, pay for private schooling on your own dime.
        10 degree Cobra Fly-Z+ / Matrix White Tie 55X4
        16 degree Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 / Fujikura Speeder 865
        20 degree Ping Rapture V2 Hybrid / MR JavlinFX
        4-AW Nike Vapor Pro Combo / DG Pro

54, 58 degree Ping Glide / CFS
        Ping Anser Redwood

Srixon ZStar XV

Comment

Originally posted by Section ThirtyOne View Post
          As someone who was born and raised as Catholic, I can confidently state that this is a perfect example of why faith based schools should not receive public funding.

If you wish your children to go to a faith based school, pay for private schooling on your own dime.
          I agree and went to Catholic schools as well. Unfortunately, it's a political hot potato that no one wants to touch.
          MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Agreed!! As a parent of 2 girls, keeping them balanced and open minded on ideas has been a huge challenge. The term "indoctrination" has certainly been weaponized by the right recently, but truth be told, it is a powerful reality. So when ideas are presented to my kids in school as some sort of fact or dogma, I try and bring them back from the tunnel. Unlike you, it took me 30+ years to get over my faith. And the only reason I had any to begin with was because my parents felt heavily pressured to put me in Catholic school and take me to church a few times when I was really young. All this despite themselves not being religious in any significant way.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Comment

Originally posted by xrox View Post

Agreed!! As a parent of 2 girls, keeping them balanced and open minded on ideas has been a huge challenge. The term "indoctrination" has certainly been weaponized by the right recently, but truth be told, it is a powerful reality. So when ideas are presented to my kids in school as some sort of fact or dogma, I try and bring them back from the tunnel. Unlike you, it took me 30+ years to get over my faith. And the only reason I had any to begin with was because my parents felt heavily pressured to put me in Catholic school and take me to church a few times when I was really young. All this despite themselves not being religious in any significant way.

Well to be fair it did take me another 30 years to get over my faith. But as a teenager I realized it did not have to be blind faith anyway.

Kids are vulnerable. One of my boys who is Autistic would melt down if we tried to tell him we didn’t agree with something a teacher (all public schools) had told him. Very challenging.

Comment

The Holy See is about to rise. LOL

The POPE intends to visit our Indigenous this summer to acknowledge and apologize for their Catholic indoctrination ,and now the CSSB wants to spill more holy water into another social faux

Is there no one that will save us from this,..... wormhole? LOL

things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
                  The Holy See is about to rise. LOL

The POPE intends to visit our Indigenous this summer to acknowledge and apologize for their Catholic indoctrination ,and now the CSSB wants to spill more holy water into another social faux

Is there no one that will save us from this,..... wormhole? LOL
                  And how many millions of non-Catholic taxpayer dollars will be required to fund logistics and security for this little meet-and-greet tour?

Comment

The assignment including a cash prize is probably at best, bad taste, and even though being pro-life aligns with the Catholic faith, there should be a more serious and subtle way to approach this issue with developing young minds.

I'm a Catholic/Christian, but actually agree with some of the other posters that mentioned it's time to take the public funding away from the Catholic board. Non-Catholics shouldn't have to fund a faith based education system. A tuition based Catholic system would also be more autonomous, and be able to stick with Catholic values without the Liberal influence that often conflicts with the Catholic curriculum.
                    Bridgestone J715 10.5
                    Adams Tight Lies Titanium 13.5
                    Adams Super LS 17d.
                    Mizuno JPX-850 forged 4-PW
                    Scratch 8620 53d.
                    Callaway X-forged 58d.
                    Odyssey White Hot Tour #2
                    Srixon Q-star tour

Comment

[QUOTE=Benz;n3534826]

And how many millions of non-Catholic taxpayer dollars will be required to fund logistics and security for this little meet-and-greet tour?[/QUOTE]

what's 5-10million compared to the billion(s)the Government allocates to fund and maintain the Reserves.

Budget 2022 proposes to invest an additional $11 billion over six years to continue to support Indigenous children and families, and to help Indigenous communities continue to grow and shape their futures.
                      things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by 73monte View Post
                        The assignment including a cash prize is probably at best, bad taste, and even though being pro-life aligns with the Catholic faith, there should be a more serious and subtle way to approach this issue with developing young minds.

I'm a Catholic/Christian, but actually agree with some of the other posters that mentioned it's time to take the public funding away from the Catholic board. Non-Catholics shouldn't have to fund a faith based education system. A tuition based Catholic system would also be more autonomous, and be able to stick with Catholic values without the Liberal influence that often conflicts with the Catholic curriculum.
                        10 degree Cobra Fly-Z+ / Matrix White Tie 55X4
                        16 degree Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 / Fujikura Speeder 865
                        20 degree Ping Rapture V2 Hybrid / MR JavlinFX
                        4-AW Nike Vapor Pro Combo / DG Pro

54, 58 degree Ping Glide / CFS
                        Ping Anser Redwood

Srixon ZStar XV

Comment

Originally posted by 73monte View Post

technically, you can indicate on your property taxes which board you support so that it where your tax dollars will go but I would have to think it would be more efficient to have two boards rather than 4.
                          MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post

technically, you can indicate on your property taxes which board you support so that it where your tax dollars will go but I would have to think it would be more efficient to have two boards rather than 4.
                            Jeff . . . it doesn't matter anymore . . . the money goes into a big pot and divided to Board by the number of students . . . maybe AD could remind us where this idea of a funding formula came from, late '90's . . .
                            If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

It's a lot more complicated than just deciding to amalgamate the Catholics and the Protestants.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X