Collapse

2022-2023 Blue Jays

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chambokl View Post
    After a great game where Puerto Rico eliminated Dominican 5-2 . . . Edwin Diaz, reliever for the Mets tore his achilles (as per report) while celebrating after the game . . . very sad, they were so happy and so much excitement . . .
    Ouch, that's likely his season gone. The Mets must be pleased.

Comment

• One reason why GM's are generally not 100% supportive of their players participating in world championships/olympics, and other events.

Jays' management must be worried by how Berrios has (not) performed so far during spring training and the WBC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
        One reason why GM's are generally not 100% supportive of their players participating in world championships/olympics, and other events.

Jays' management must be worried by how Berrios has (not) performed so far during spring training and the WBC.
        Well they can’t stay on their couch. He got hurt dancing, not playing. That is the most baseball I have watched in years. So much fun and so good. Every game now is like the 7th game of the World Series. Yesterday’s game was so good and so tense. HR jacket, HR scarf, bunts, drums, horns, extra base, . . It had it all but mostly great baseball.
        If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chambokl View Post
          After a great game where Puerto Rico eliminated Dominican 5-2 . . . Edwin Diaz, reliever for the Mets tore his achilles (as per report) while celebrating after the game . . . very sad, they were so happy and so much excitement . . .
          It was his knee, as it turns out, and he's out for the season.

Comment

• Regarding Jays and an ex-Jay and possible long term contract extensions from The Athletic. With his estimates for length and amount.

MLB Contract Extension Week Tiers: Who should stay and who should test free agency
            Tim Britton – The Athletic - Mar 17, 2023

I am unsure as to whether with Bichette this was written prior to his 3 year $33.6 million contract signed in February or it is recommended as an extension?

Makes more sense for the team
            • Alek Manoah, Blue Jays: 6 years, $85 million
            Also
            • Vladimir Guerrero Jr., Blue Jays: 9 years, $250 million
            • Bo Bichette, Blue Jays: 8 years, $200 million
            With these players, you can’t ignore the generational wealth they enjoy from having fathers who played in the big leagues. That doesn’t mean there’s no extension they’d sign, just that they can quite literally afford to be picky.

Better for both the player and the team to wait
            • Matt Chapman, Blue Jays: 6 years, $126 million
            Management has too many other priorities on this list to take care of before this extension

Get this done now
            • Teoscar Hernández, Mariners: 5 years, $86 million
            Hernández’s skill set is not always valued in free agency. As long as he’s comfortable in Seattle, this should work for both sides.

Comment

Regarding Jays and an ex-Jay and possible long term contract extensions from The Athletic. With his estimates for length and amount.

MLB Contract Extension Week Tiers: Who should stay and who should test free agency
              Tim Britton – The Athletic - Mar 17, 2023

I am unsure as to whether with Bichette this was written prior to his 3 year $33.6 million contract signed in February or it is recommended as an extension?

That Manoah extension reads like fiction.
              Ping G410 Plus
              Ping G410 3W
              Ping G400 7W or 3H
              Ping G400 4H
              Ping G400 5 - UW
              Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
              Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
              Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
              Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

• Rosie DiManno on Daulton Varsho with some background on him that I previously was unaware of.

Varsho bunted 14 times in 2022, 14th-most in the majors, which might seem counterintuitive for someone with considerable pop in his bat. Of those 14, 10 were with the bases empty.

Jays outfield coach Mark Budzinski said,” I had his dad as a coach, as a player in the Phillies organization. Now that was an outfielder. He was very detail-oriented and his son’s the same way.”

Comment

Rosie DiManno on Daulton Varsho with some background on him that I previously was unaware of.

Guess she reads Fan Graphs.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/daulton-...0tough%20lefty.
                  Ping G410 Plus
                  Ping G410 3W
                  Ping G400 7W or 3H
                  Ping G400 4H
                  Ping G400 5 - UW
                  Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
                  Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS

Comment

• Where in Fangraphs does it mention that the Jays' outfield coach was coached by Varsho's father?Click image for larger version

Name:	wink.gif
Views:	135
Size:	1.0 KB
ID:	3644245
                    Last edited by Arthur Dailey; Mar 20, 2023, 09:22 PM.

Comment

• Dan Shulman was interviewed on The Fan this morning. He made some interesting observations.
                      1. "Everyone' and he reiterated that word, that he has spoken to has mentioned that this year's camp is more 'serious' and had much more 'attention to detail' than last year's camp.
                      2. He believes that both Berrios and Kikuchi will be "better" than they were last season. He qualified that by saying that does not mean that they will be "good", just that they will be "better" than they were last season.
                      3. When the Jays face a starting left handed pitcher he believes that Merrifield will start in left field with either Varsho or Keirmaier in centre and Espinal starting at 2b. When they face a starting right handed pitcher then they will have a different starting line-up but he did not confirm what he believes that will be.
                      4. Possibly because according to Shulman, Biggio has had an an 'excellent' camp and therefore has played himself back into contention for an expanded role on the team.

Comment

[*]Possibly because according to Shulman, Biggio has had an an 'excellent' camp and therefore has played himself back into contention for an expanded role on the team.[/LIST]
                        i assume he means defensively ?

his spring OPS is pretty dismal
                        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

• Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

i assume he means defensively ?

his spring OPS is pretty dismal
                          Makes you wonder, doesn't it.

I am a firm believer in Pat Gillick's axiom "do not believe anything that you see in spring training".

Current top 4 for OPS among those in the Jays' camp this year:
                          1. Otto Lopez,
                          2. Orelvis Martinez
                          3. P.K. Morris
                          4. Rob Brantly
                          https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/teams/...dir=descending

Comment

I am a firm believer in Pat Gillick's axiom "do not believe anything that you see in spring training".
                            I agree that Spring Training , NHL pre season etc is a mostly meaningless indicator and predictor

I am a bit surprised Shulman would use it as his justification.
                            "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Current top 4 for OPS among those in the Jays' camp this year:
                              1. Otto Lopez,
                              2. Orelvis Martinez
                              3. P.K. Morris
                              4. Rob Brantly
                              https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/teams/...dir=descending
                              I still think 1991 spring training legend Jerry Schunk can have an impact if someone just gives him a chance in the majors. The guy is clutch. And well-rested.

Comment

• Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

I agree that Spring Training , NHL pre season etc is a mostly meaningless indicator and predictor

I am a bit surprised Shulman would use it as his justification.
                                It’s not everything but it’s not nothing either.
                                Maybe it’s most encouraging for the player from a confidence factor.

Take Kikuchi for example, would rather see this than him crapping the bed.

“Yusei Kikuchi threw five shutout innings for the #BlueJays today down in Fort Myers with 9 Ks.”

Kikuchi's spring:
                                18 IP
                                1.00 ERA
                                25 K | 10 BB​

@keeganmatheson
                                Ping G410 Plus
                                Ping G410 3W
                                Ping G400 7W or 3H
                                Ping G400 4H
                                Ping G400 5 - UW
                                Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
                                Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X