Collapse

2023-24 . . . Our raptors . . .

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparantley waiving Dinwiddie
    Last edited by golfingoalie; Feb 8, 2024, 03:42 PM.
    BIG MOY GOLF...POWERED BY SNICKERS
    Member Century Club...Osprey Valley May 20, 2010...108 holes
    There is no next year...signed Leaf fan

Comment

• Originally posted by hackerhare View Post

Good trade. Spencer gives them size and versatility. They have too many guards.
      And they're waiving him to save a bonus. Weird that Brown is sticking around and Raptors hold his option. Also GTJ.

Comment

• Originally posted by golfingtime View Post

And they're waiving him to save a bonus. Weird that Brown is sticking around and Raptors hold his option. Also GTJ.
        Waiving and then maybe a buyout if not claimed? Out from Dennis yr 2 salary. I liked the Ogbaji pickup. They had spare late picks. Kelly plays the grandpa role. Hope he resigns for a couple of years at a reasonable figure. Surprised Brown and GTJ yeilded nothin. Maybe gone for cap space after the year. Overall I'm ok with the moves.
        ​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post

I think the other player is important, I think they are hoping to resign Olynik.
          Also it will probably be a late first round pick and reports are the draft is weak this year.
          Here's what I just read on HFBoards about 1st round picks:

"They're giving up the pick destined to be the lowest of the ones they have and probably in the last 3-5 picks in the 1st round. In a draft that's not regarded as particularly strong that late 1st may be more trouble than its worth because 1st round picks get particular rookie contracts with requirements for value and the number of years given. They already have at least one high 2nd that will get them likely essentially the same caliber of player but with a lot more freedom on how they can structure the rookie contract."

So that makes more sense, if correct. I was unaware of how that worked.
          "Confusion" will be my epitaph
          ...Iggy

Comment

• I hope Masai has more up his sleeve , much more, because this alone doesn't likely make the them a guaranteed playoff team
            "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

• Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
              I hope Masai has more up his sleeve , much more, because this alone doesn't likely make the them a guaranteed playoff team
              They are in a full rebuild. This isn't designed to make them a playoff team. They are building around young players and draft picks. The front office would be happy to hardly win any games for the rest of the year to get a better draft pick.

There's a good chance we are a couple years from being a playoff team.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnny canuck View Post

They are in a full rebuild. This isn't designed to make them a playoff team. They are building around young players and draft picks. The front office would be happy to hardly win any games for the rest of the year to get a better draft pick.

There's a good chance we are a couple years from being a playoff team.
                It's dicey. Finish in the bottom six and they keep the pick. Otherwise it goes to the Spurs. If not it defers to next year, which is a much better draft. They're in a battle with Memphis.

Some thought it odd they gave up a late first round pick today. But first rounders carry more financial obligations. Second rounders are much more flexible. Given how many picks OKC still has coming up I'm amazed they are dealing with it. Even trying to trade them away isn't easy given teams often need to match salaries. Then there is the different levels of luxury tax affecting the ability to pick up bought out players. It's mind boggling really.

Comment

• From Blake Murphy.

After the Toronto Raptors made two more trades ahead of the deadline, Blake Murphy looks at where things stand heading into the 2024 off-season.
                  Ping G410 Plus
                  Ping G410 3W
                  Ping G400 7W or 3H
                  Ping G400 4H
                  Ping G400 5 - UW
                  Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
                  Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
                  Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
                  Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

Fascinating. I don't understand cap holds at figures much higher than the actual salaries. It's almost like there's an assumption the player will be signed at 50% higher than their expiring deal. Is this to save teams from themselves?

Comment

• Originally posted by nomullies View Post

Fascinating. I don't understand cap holds at figures much higher than the actual salaries. It's almost like there's an assumption the player will be signed at 50% higher than their expiring deal. Is this to save teams from themselves?
                      The Cap Hold is calculated by a formula use by the NBA. It enters all of the stats and it comes up with a projected contract amount for this player. It prevents teams (in this case the Raptors) from signing somebody else over the salary cap. If you want to get rid of the cap hold, you would lose the Bird right for that player. The Bird right will let you go over the salary cap to resign one of your free agent. You can't signed somebody and then use the Bird right to sign your FA . . . Hope it makes sense . . .
                      If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chambokl View Post

The Cap Hold is calculated by a formula use by the NBA. It enters all of the stats and it comes up with a projected contract amount for this player. It prevents teams (in this case the Raptors) from signing somebody else over the salary cap. If you want to get rid of the cap hold, you would lose the Bird right for that player. The Bird right will let you go over the salary cap to resign one of your free agent. You can't signed somebody and then use the Bird right to sign your FA . . . Hope it makes sense . . .
                        Better thanks JG. Bird rights are interesting. Once a player signs a third year with a team he gets a no trade provision. Which explains Hornet's Bridges saying he won't leave in a trade. What I'm not clear on is going over the cap to sign your own player. Continuity is good. But does that mean the portion you go over the cap isn't counted toward your overall cap? Or just that you can go over the cap, CBA wise, to retain the player? But it still counts toward the cap.

Comment

• Originally posted by nomullies View Post

Better thanks JG. Bird rights are interesting. Once a player signs a third year with a team he gets a no trade provision. Which explains Hornet's Bridges saying he won't leave in a trade. What I'm not clear on is going over the cap to sign your own player. Continuity is good. But does that mean the portion you go over the cap isn't counted toward your overall cap? Or just that you can go over the cap, CBA wise, to retain the player? But it still counts toward the cap.
                          You are just allowed to go over the cap for that year. There are 3 kinds of Bird Right each with their own rules.

* Full Bird Right (after 3 years - salary can be up to 35% of the cap)
                          * Early Bird Right (after 2 years and salary could be 175% of the previous year salary)
                          * Non-Bird Right (after 1 year - salary could be up to 120% of the previous year salary)

Bridges fit in "Early Bird Right" . . . it protects the player so team can't trade a player who could classified as Full Bird Right at the end of the year. All of this makes trading players sometime very hard.
                          If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

• No FVV tonight out with an injury.
                            Ping G410 Plus
                            Ping G410 3W
                            Ping G400 7W or 3H
                            Ping G400 4H
                            Ping G400 5 - UW
                            Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
                            Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
                            Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
                            Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

No FVV tonight out with an injury.
                              Found a way to win. Several teams will wonder why they passed on Whitmore. I remember the bad press he got during the draft. Brooks is a royal pain but he never quits. Nice to see 3/5 of Canada's starting lineup in the building. Assume we'll see Kelly and Ogbaji tonight.

Comment

• I went to bed early in the 4th and the Raps were up by 20 or so. I was quite surprised this am when I saw they barely hung on. Good for them for the win, though.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X