• Show
Clear All

• Chris Simon Dead at 52

Apparent suicide , saying CTE might have played of role

Another enforcer gone way too soon.

Comment

So sad ,and very young

Comment

Every pro hockey player (at any level) who engages in two or more fights per season should receive the form to allow his brain to be donated for CTE research.

I have to wonder about the new kid playing for the Rangers who was in four (4) fights in his first seven (7) games.

Will he even make it to forty? I have my doubts.

Comment

How do 'enforcers' do later in life?

A study of former NHLers published last year showed enforcers lived significantly shorter lives than their peers.

Researchers at New York’s Columbia University came to that conclusion after analyzing data from 6,039 players from 1967 through the spring of 2022.

The study found enforcers died on average a decade younger than comparable peers drafted at the same rank (draft year) , of similar height and weight, and playing the same position.

“However, being an enforcer was associated with dying approximately 10 years earlier and more frequently of suicide and drug overdose than matched controls,” the study read.
          ​

Comment

Originally posted by Risky84 View Post
            Not to be morbid about the nature of his suicide, but I hope they will be able to examine his brain for signs of CTE.

Comment

The fact that the NHL has not banned fighting despite the overwhelming evidence that it contributes to CTE makes them complicit in these deaths.

while the frequency of fighting has steadily decreased for years , it is on the rise again in the 23/24 season. NHL is the only major sports league that does not ban fighting. Despite what the neanderthals think and say, fighting doesn't impact attendance nor is there any correlation between fighting and winning games.

I hope the league and Betman get taken to task on this. Betman, himself has repeatedly denied a link between CTE and hockey despite overwhelming evidence of the opposite.

Time for this insanity to stop.
              Last edited by Weirfan; Mar 22, 2024, 02:06 PM.
              "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

I found it strange we dont hear about the guys from 1950's-1980's who were enforcers suffering from CTE and other issues, if memory serves all this spotlight on the NHL and CTE is when Probert died no? then ever since there has been a bunch. could the meds these guys are on be playing roll ?

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                  The fact that the NHL has not banned fighting despite the overwhelming evidence that it contributes to CTE makes them complicit in these deaths.

while the frequency of fighting has steadily decreased for years , it is on the rise again in the 23/24 season. NHL is the only major sports league that does not ban fighting. Despite what the neanderthals think and say, fighting doesn't impact attendance nor is there any correlation between fighting and winning games.

I hope the league and Betman get taken to task on this. Betman, himself has repeatedly denied a link between CTE and hockey despite overwhelming evidence of the opposite.

Time for this insanity to stop.
                  he can’t admit it as he would open himself and the league up to a world of trouble. And Gary only does what the owners want so blame them.
                  MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by Risky84 View Post
                    I found it strange we dont hear about the guys from 1950's-1980's who were enforcers suffering from CTE and other issues, if memory serves all this spotlight on the NHL and CTE is when Probert died no? then ever since there has been a bunch. could the meds these guys are on be playing roll ?
                    Probably multifactorial. Enforcers are largely forgotten. Going from a somebody, to a nobody has got to be difficult. The more forgotten, the harder it is IMO. Same goes for a lot of once-famous celebrities.
                    Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Comment

I read the last few posts, and thought about Reggie Fleming; I looked him up and it turns out that he was the first hockey player diagnosed with CTE. I didn't like him when I was a kid because he seemed especially vicious.

I'm not qualified to comment on whether meds could have played a role, but think that experiences of NHL tough guys, and NFL players generally, show that getting hit in the head many times is not good for the brain.

Comment

Originally posted by OKHC View Post
                        I read the last few posts, and thought about Reggie Fleming; I looked him up and it turns out that he was the first hockey player diagnosed with CTE. I didn't like him when I was a kid because he seemed especially vicious.

I'm not qualified to comment on whether meds could have played a role, but think that experiences of NHL tough guys, and NFL players generally, show that getting hit in the head many times is not good for the brain.

Requiem for Reggie, Earl MacRae's greatest and most disturbing story/work/column.
                        Still have that book somewhere in the basement.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                        X