Collapse

How Good are the 2016 LPGA Rookies?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Good are the 2016 LPGA Rookies?

There isn't an adjective I could come up with to describe last year's rookies. It was probably the deepest rookie class in LPGA history. We may never see a group like that again in our lifetime.

Re: How Good are the 2016 LPGA Rookies?

The Very Best:
    1- In Gee Chun - By far and away the favorite to win the 2016 Rolex Rookie of the Year Award. She is a rookie in name only. A five time winner on the KLPGA, she was also that tour's leading money winner in 2015. Add to that the fact that she is the defending U.S. Open champion (as a non LPGA member), and you have one special player here.
    My one caution with this is that in 8 starts last year, she only finished inside the top 30 twice.

She did finish T3 at the Coates, so perhaps last year could be attributed to travel and such.

Future Stars?
    2- Megan Khang - Talk about breezing through Q-School, Megan finished 2nd at stage one, 3rd at stage two, and 6th at stage three. She was the low amateur at the 2015 U.S. Open, and helped team U.S.A. win the junior Solheim Cup. At just 18 years of age, she will be a mainstay on the LPGA for years to come.
    Megan has been showing up and playing well at top events for a number of years now (2 for 2 in LPGA cuts last year), including a lot of the top amateur events when Brooke H. was playing them as well. I think there is some real potential here, some of which she showed in the Bahamas. Good chance for a win this year.

3- Annie Park - She dominated the Symetra Tour in 2015, winning 3 times and having 4 top 10 finishes. She did this in just 11 starts. She was that tour's Player of the Year and Rookie of the Year. Park won the 2013 NCAA individual national title while at USC. Park also made headlines in 2012, when she won the Nassau Boys High School Championship by 6 strokes.
    Annie Park is my choice for RoY this year. On her 2013 NCAA victory: Not only did she win the NCAA Championship that year, she actually swept the post-season (second woman ever to do so), also winning her Conference and Regional Championships. It was her first semester of school (She started in Jan 2013). She went on that summer to tie for the lowest qualifying score from all qualifying sites at the US Women's Open (tied with Brooke H. at 136).

I don't know too much about most of the others, but I'd keep an eye out for Su Oh, Ally McDonald, Grace Na and Ashlan Ramsay who have all been names on the amateur scene for a number of years. EDIT: Oops, just noticed you had included Grace Na in your list.
    Last edited by sjmcampbell; Feb 13, 2016, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
    X