Collapse

Thornberry Creek LPGA Classic Preview and Discussion Thread

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thornberry Creek LPGA Classic Preview and Discussion Thread

This week the LPGA moves to the state of Wisconsin for the playing of the Thornberry Creek LPGA Classic. Many of my readers may remember last year when Sei Young Kim set a new LPGA all-time record, when she shot an amazing 31 under par. That total was nine shots better than runner up Carlota Ciganda.

Here is my preview and much more:

The first round pairings for the Thornberry Creek LPGA Classic have now been posted:

Comment

Here are the leaders of the Thornberry Creek LPGA Classic after round 1:\

1 Yu Liu -10
      2 Jeong Eun Lee -9
      2 Yealimi Noh -9

For more scores:

Comment

Here are the leaders of the Thornberry Creek LPGA Classic after round 2:

1 Sung Hyun Park -17
        2 Yealimi Noh -16
        3 Ariya Jutanugarn -15
        4 Mina Harigae -14
        4 Tiffany Joh -14
        6 Shanshan Feng -13

For more scores:

Comment

So who is Presley Cornelius? And why is she in this tournament. I guess a sponsor invite, but I think she was a bad choice. +55 after two rounds!! With a 103 in round 2!
          Maybe there is something about her story that I do not know.
          lpw

Comment

I just saw that. Bizarre!

Comment

20 year old sponsors invite from the local area. Not an issue, they may not be up to par in terms of playing, but they aren't taking a slot from any regular tour player or Monday qualifier.

Comment

Originally posted by wlorcb View Post
                20 year old sponsors invite from the local area. Not an issue, they may not be up to par in terms of playing, but they aren't taking a slot from any regular tour player or Monday qualifier.
                Excellent point!

Comment

Here are the leaders of the Thornberry Creek LPGA Classic after round 3:

1 Shanshan Feng -20 F
                  1 Tiffany Joh -20 F
                  1 Ariya Jutanugarn -20 F
                  1 Sung Hyun Park -20 F
                  5 Yealimi Noh -19 F

For more scores:

Comment

Last year's Canadian Women's Amateur (and USGA Girls Junior) winner Yealimi Noh is playing in her first LPGA event as a professional. She Monday qualified but has no Symetra or LPGA status.

Sitting in solo 5th, one shot back.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/17-...opening-rounds

Noh, who turned pro last February, has no status on either the LPGA or Symetra Tour. A successful summer of amateur play in 2018—she also won the Girls’ Junior PGA Championship and the Canadian Women’s Amateur—has not yet translated into the professional ranks. She’s unsuccessfully attempted other Monday qualifiers and twice competed on sponsor’s exemptions on the Symetra Tour. She also recently competed in the Korea Women’s Open, where she finished 31st.

“Beginning of the year, I was really struggling just adjusting to pro life,” Noh said. “Not having anything to play, I was like really struggling … but to come back and work hard and just finally play is really good.”

Twice Noh has competed in LPGA events as an amateur, finishing T-46 at the 2018 CP Women’s Open and T-59 at the 2018 LPGA KEB Hana Bank Championship.

Only twice in LPGA history has a Monday qualifier gone on to win a tournament: Laurel Kean in 2000 at the State Farm LPGA Classic and Brooke Henderson in 2015 at the Cambia Portland LPGA Classic.
                    UPDATE: here is her second round interview

and her third round highlights
                    Last edited by sjmcampbell; Jul 7, 2019, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Patty Tavatanakit is -10 on the day (moved from -9 to -19) after 13. Three eagles and four birdies.

EDIT: ...and a birdie on 15. From 45th place at the start of the round to T1. She finished with a 61 (-11 on the day, -20 on the tournament).
                      Last edited by sjmcampbell; Jul 7, 2019, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Here are the final results of the Thornberry Creek LPGA Classic:

1 Shanshan Feng -29
                        2 Ariya Jutanugarn -28
                        3 Amy Yang -25
                        3 Tiffany Joh -25

For more scores:

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                        X