/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Presidential Medal of Freedom for Annika Sorenstam, Gary Player and Babe Zaharias

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presidential Medal of Freedom for Annika Sorenstam, Gary Player and Babe Zaharias

President Trump awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom to Annika Sorenstam, Gary Player and Babe Zaharias

Sorenstam, who celebrated her 50th birthday on October 9, has 72 LPGA Tour wins (third all time) and 10 major championships. She is a naturalized American citizen having been born and raised in Sweden. Mr. Player, who turned 85 on November 1, is a native of South Africa who won 24 times on the PGA Tour with nine major championships.

The surprise was a native Texan. The late Babe Didrikson Zaharias, one of the original 13 Founders of the LPGA Tour, will also be presented with the Medal of Freedom on Thursday. Mrs. Zaharias, who passed away from colon cancer at the age of 45 in 1956, will become only the second sports star from the Lone Star State to be so honored. The other is former Dallas Cowboys’ quarterback Roger Staubach, who was actually raised in Cincinnati, Ohio but lived in Dallas most of his life.

Zaharias was the superstar who made the LPGA possible. Prior to the signing of the original LPGA charter in 1950, Babe was already recognized as the world’s top female athlete having won two gold medals and one silver medal in track and field at the 1932 Olympic Games in Los Angeles.

An interesting story about Babe from Shirley Spork:
    “When we played in the Women’s Western Open in Chicago, Marilynn (Smith) and I were at breakfast with Babe and her husband George. I was playing as a representative of the state of Michigan as an amateur. Marilynn was from Kansas. As we were eating, Babe said to me, ‘Listen kid, why don’t you turn pro?’ And I said, ‘Well, gosh, I think I’d like to do that. How do I do it?’ Babe walked around the table, hit me on the head and said, ‘I deem you a pro. Now, go down to the tee and tell them you’re a pro.’”

“So, when I got to the tee the starter, Mrs. Dennehy, was the president of the Women’s Western Golf Association. I said, ‘Excuse me, Mrs. Dennehy, I would like you to announce me as a pro today.’

“And her answer was, ‘Does your mother know about this?’ I said, ‘No, but she’ll know tonight when I call her.’

“And that’s how I turned pro.”

Did this really happen? Who the heck would want any commendation or honour from the current President? Hopefully Gary and Annika had the guts to say "thanks but no thanks".

Comment

Originally posted by newy View Post
      Did this really happen? Who the heck would want any commendation or honour from the current President? Hopefully Gary and Annika had the guts to say "thanks but no thanks".
      Benedict Arnold perhaps? Surprised Trump has suggested him yet in light of yesterday's events.

Comment

Patrick Reed is hoping for a Trump Presidential Pardon for the future times he gets caught cheating....again.
        No good deed goes unpunished.
        A birdie is usually followed by

Comment

Given what's happened, especially in the last couple of days, I am surprised and disappointed that these golfers decided to proceed with the presentation ceremony.

Comment

Yes, it really happened and they accepted the awards personally yesterday at a private ceremony.

As I said in another thread, I've removed Jack and now Gary from my dream foursome. Can't admire people who support(ed) Trump.
            Proud member of the Prune Juice Army.

Comment

Wow. Just wow. Shame on both of them. Fame and fortune really does blind you I guess. I had my suspicions about Gary but who knew Annika was such a P.O.S.?
              Last edited by newy; Jan 8, 2021, 02:57 PM.

Comment

I wanted her to win every week and cheered her when she played vs. the Men @ Colonial. She can round out the foursome with Nicklaus, Player & SA2

Comment

Wow. Just wow. Shame on both of them. Fame and fortune really does blind you I guess. I had my suspicions about Gary but who knew Annika was such a P.O.S.?
                  She spend the summer retweeted Jack's tweet about Mr Wonderful, Donald Trump . . .
                  If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Chambokl View Post

She spend the summer retweeted Jack's tweet about Mr Wonderful, Donald Trump . . .
                    Ya I guess I missed that.

Comment

I am no fan of Trump, but I am perfectly fine with Annika and Gary accepting their awards. They received one of the highest honours a civilian can receive in the U.S., and deservedly so. They received it from the President, even if they disagree with his politics and even if they dislike him personally, they were right to accept the medals. Where do you draw the line? If Trudeau offered you a similar award would you accept it ( not comparing them as people, only as leaders with whom you may disagree or dislike).

Comment

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post
                        I am no fan of Trump, but I am perfectly fine with Annika and Gary accepting their awards. They received one of the highest honours a civilian can receive in the U.S., and deservedly so. They received it from the President, even if they disagree with his politics and even if they dislike him personally, they were right to accept the medals. Where do you draw the line? If Trudeau offered you a similar award would you accept it ( not comparing them as people, only as leaders with whom you may disagree or dislike).
                        I understand your point.

However, these two showed up at the White House the very next day after Trump himself incited a riot which resulted in five deaths. IMO, that is a tacit endorsement of Trump. My opinion of both of these Hall of Famers has diminished considerably, not unlike Jack Nicklaus.

Comment

^^^^ This.

I think both Gary and Annika are Republicans, and that's not a crime.

So when The President - even if it's Trump - gives you one of the highest awards, it's got to be pretty exciting and rewarding. Even if you're a Never Trumper (I don't think they are) you might just want that.
                          "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                          ...Iggy

Comment

The award was announced back in March, but the ceremony was delayed because of COVID.
                            Annika Sorenstam and Gary Player will be awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom on March 23, the White House announced Friday.

Comment

Me personally? I would draw the line at receiving an award from a racist, sexist liar. But that's just me I guess.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X