Collapse

Tommy Gainy

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tommy Gainy

Two-glove views his progress as positive even though he finished 148 on the money list.

On the other hand, there's Shane Bertsch who thought he was safe and then found out he was outside looking in going from 124 to 126.

I suppose it is all perspective...

Comment

Re: Gainy losing to Love

Two Gloves had a real run at it on the weekend, shooting two 64s, just coming up short to Davis "Sour Puss" Love III. What a contrast between those two - 2Gs with his baseball grip and all out rip-it approach against DL3s button-down Lacoste style and classic smooth swing. As one wag put it: "Two Gloves makes Boo Weekly look like an urbane sophisticate."

I know that we should not always believe what we hear - especially hearsay and gossip. But there is something about DL3's demeanor that makes me want to believe this story. It may or may not be true - but to me it had the ring of truth.

One of my golfing acquaintances was working as a volunteer at the Canadian Open at the Abbey a few years ago. He was lucky enough to be in the players lounge where the buffet-to-end-buffets is laid out for the players to indulge their appetites. The story is that DL3 was especially put off because the shrimp weren't quite up to his standard and the steak was just steak, not filet mignon. Apparently, he was quite vocal about his unhappiness with the level of luxury laid out for him and thoroughly trashed the tournament and organizers. Words like "bush league" and "second rate" were used. My acquantaince was quite taken aback that one of the top players on tour, this was when DL3 was a fixture in the top 10 on the moneylist, would be so boorish and rude. Perhaps his success led DL3 to believe that he was special and that the civility of good manners and graciousness somehow did not apply to him. Or, maybe he is just that type of person.

Perhaps his fall from the highest tier of the tour has taught him a lesson or two about humility and how fleeting the perks of success can be. However, the Angus Glen episode leads me to suspect that that lesson may have gone right over his head. Or, maybe he had a legitimate reason for not attending the tourney - maybe the buffet was not up to standard?

Too bad Two Gloves came up short. I'm sure DL3 would have not needed the lifetime exemption to play his 15 or so events a year. Sponsors would be ready and willing to grant him an exemption - but he might have had to ask for it, which could have been a difficult thing to do. Two Gloves would really appreciate the exemptions that come with winning a tour event.

Yes, "appreciate" would be the right word.

Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty

Two Gloves had a real run at it on the weekend, shooting two 64s, just coming up short to Davis "Sour Puss" Love III. What a contrast between those two - 2Gs with his baseball grip and all out rip-it approach against DL3s button-down Lacoste style and classic smooth swing. As one wag put it: "Two Gloves makes Boo Weekly look like an urbane sophisticate."

I know that we should not always believe what we hear - especially hearsay and gossip. But there is something about DL3's demeanor that makes me want to believe this story. It may or may not be true - but to me it had the ring of truth.

One of my golfing acquaintances was working as a volunteer at the Canadian Open at the Abbey a few years ago. He was lucky enough to be in the players lounge where the buffet-to-end-buffets is laid out for the players to indulge their appetites. The story is that DL3 was especially put off because the shrimp weren't quite up to his standard and the steak was just steak, not filet mignon. Apparently, he was quite vocal about his unhappiness with the level of luxury laid out for him and thoroughly trashed the tournament and organizers. Words like "bush league" and "second rate" were used. My acquantaince was quite taken aback that one of the top players on tour, this was when DL3 was a fixture in the top 10 on the moneylist, would be so boorish and rude. Perhaps his success led DL3 to believe that he was special and that the civility of good manners and graciousness somehow did not apply to him. Or, maybe he is just that type of person.

Perhaps his fall from the highest tier of the tour has taught him a lesson or two about humility and how fleeting the perks of success can be. However, the Angus Glen episode leads me to suspect that that lesson may have gone right over his head. Or, maybe he had a legitimate reason for not attending the tourney - maybe the buffet was not up to standard?

Too bad Two Gloves came up short. I'm sure DL3 would have not needed the lifetime exemption to play his 15 or so events a year. Sponsors would be ready and willing to grant him an exemption - but he might have had to ask for it, which could have been a difficult thing to do. Two Gloves would really appreciate the exemptions that come with winning a tour event.

Yes, "appreciate" would be the right word.

Rusty
        This is poetic...

Comment

Originally posted by Clevelandfan
          I hope this guy never wins again and just goes away. He has the audacity to accept money to "freshen" up Angus Glen for the Cdn Open and doesn't show up for the tournament? That shows his character more than anything else.
          Thats your opinion, I see your point and I think he should have showed up to the CDN but oh well. But he seems to be one of the nicest guys on tour, seems very down to earth. I rather see him win more and do well then him just go away thats forsure.
          Driver- Callaway FT-9 / Accra Dymatch S3 75 M4
          Fairway- Miura 3 wood / Accra XE80 M5
          Hybrids- Adams Idea Pro 3 with Accra XH85
          Irons- Adams Pro gold PVD 4-pw w/KB tour X-flex
          Wedges- Srixon WG706 50*,TM Z-Smoke 54, 58* w/ KBS tour blacks
          Putter- T.P. Mills Custom Huey

"Resolve never to quit, never to give up,no matter what the situation."

Comment

here is an interview with tommy after the round
            http://www.pgatour.com/2008/tourname...script.gainey/

Comment

Rusty

And the fact that he's an all out redneck makes him likable ??

Rusty

And this part is entirely BS. You don't get to be one of most liked guys on the tour by acting like your suggesting.

Now if you had it was Sergio I could see it.
              Last edited by WILL; Nov 11, 2008, 09:02 PM. Reason: Automerged posts
              Canada's best golf instructor is Nick Starchuk.

Comment

Some corrections to my previous posting....my "fact checker" (me) did not check his facts.

1. Tommy "Gainy" is Tommy Gainey; I believe his name was mispelled in the first post and I repeated the mistake.

2. Two Gloves shot 66, 64 on the weekend to finish second, not 64, 64; DL3 shot 64, 64 to win by one stroke.

I usually don't reply to responses to a posting because I recognize that one of the advantages of a forum such as this is to solicit opinions. Opinions by their nature are neither right nor wrong. We may disagree with an opinion and have very good reasons for doing so but our opinion is not superior to another's just because we disagree. Opinions may be well-founded or ill-founded but that judgement in itself is another "opinion".

Obviously from my opinion piece posted on this forum I have a viewpoint as to the personality and character of a public persona - DL3. Rightly or wrongly, I have based this opinion on a number of observations - some of which may be factual. I have acknowledged that they may be hearsay or gossip, i.e., without foundation. However, in my opinion, these stories have the "ring of truth" possibly because they reinforce my acknowledged prejudice. Sorry, I just don't like the guy. I don't like Fred Couples either - another very popular persona with the public and, apparently, fellow competitors if you believe references to that ubiquitous and mysterious group generally called "they".

Somehow neither Fred or DL3 strike me as genuine. Maybe its their smirky demeanor (my opinion) that both of them try to hide but comes out in unguarded moments - like that alleged clubhouse incident at the Open or Fred's interview with Jaime Diaz in Golf Digest last year. Both these guys rub me the wrong way - but that is just my opinion, and I have shared it with TGN readers.

Is Tommey Gainey more "likable" because he is "a complete redneck"? No, that wasn't the inference I was making in my post. What I did say was that he appeared to be a huge contrast to DL3's public persona. For me, part of that contrast is that he is genuine in his "redneckness". Perhaps part of that perceived genuiness is TG being in unchartered waters - contending for a title. Perhaps his public persona will change if he plays in the final groups on Sunday more often. But, for now, the contrast between the two persons was stark - in my opinion.

I also feel that the story lines of Sunday's final round, as presented by the media, needed a little "reading between the lines". I'm sure DL3 is delighted to earn his lifetime exemption - just like Warren Buffet or Donald Trump are delighted when they bet right on the market or the value of some real estate development. But what is so compelling about another "have" getting more of the same that he has gotton over the years? In my opinion (again), the more interesting story would have been seeing a "have not" graduate, for a time, to the status of a "have". Following that story over the next couple of years may have revealed something about the character of Mr. Gainey and perhaps more fodder for opinion pieces in TGN forums.

However, I have no doubt that TG would genuinely have appreciated the win, and all that it meant, more than DL3. How do we measure that? Well, we can't, it isn't possible. It is just my opinion. I think it is well-founded, others may not.

Rusty

Comment

I like to see the under dog win but in this case (with DL3 playing like sh*t for 2 years) they're both under dogs.
                  I'll agree that TG is likely more excited about his performance but I'll add he may not have earned his stripes yet. He DID however, play awesome on the weekend posting solid numbers showing no fear of winning, although on a resort golf course. Hardly a US Open track.

I am a huge fan of DL3 and Fred Couples. They both have great swings that are a joy to watch and you'd love to emulate. To me, both have shown great character in victory and defeat and I've yet to see either man throw a club or act out after a bad shot.

I'll refer to part of a story from our own Mr. Swain who has met Davis Love in person at Angus Glen.

Davis was looking for someone in the club house and found Jeff Swain. Davis extended his hand and introduced himself and there after in the conversation refered to Jeff as Mr Swain.

Now I know Jeff is a great guy and all and somewhat famous around here but DL3 showed him respect and spoke to him as equals. Not something I'd expect from a top world player in ANY sport.
                  Canada's best golf instructor is Nick Starchuk.

Comment

Some corrections to my previous posting....my "fact checker" (me) did not check his facts.

1. Tommy "Gainy" is Tommy Gainey; I believe his name was mispelled in the first post and I repeated the mistake.

2. Two Gloves shot 66, 64 on the weekend to finish second, not 64, 64; DL3 shot 64, 64 to win by one stroke.

I usually don't reply to responses to a posting because I recognize that one of the advantages of a forum such as this is to solicit opinions. Opinions by their nature are neither right nor wrong. We may disagree with an opinion and have very good reasons for doing so but our opinion is not superior to another's just because we disagree. Opinions may be well-founded or ill-founded but that judgement in itself is another "opinion".

Obviously from my opinion piece posted on this forum I have a viewpoint as to the personality and character of a public persona - DL3. Rightly or wrongly, I have based this opinion on a number of observations - some of which may be factual. I have acknowledged that they may be hearsay or gossip, i.e., without foundation. However, in my opinion, these stories have the "ring of truth" possibly because they reinforce my acknowledged prejudice. Sorry, I just don't like the guy. I don't like Fred Couples either - another very popular persona with the public and, apparently, fellow competitors if you believe references to that ubiquitous and mysterious group generally called "they".

Somehow neither Fred or DL3 strike me as genuine. Maybe its their smirky demeanor (my opinion) that both of them try to hide but comes out in unguarded moments - like that alleged clubhouse incident at the Open or Fred's interview with Jaime Diaz in Golf Digest last year. Both these guys rub me the wrong way - but that is just my opinion, and I have shared it with TGN readers.

Is Tommey Gainey more "likable" because he is "a complete redneck"? No, that wasn't the inference I was making in my post. What I did say was that he appeared to be a huge contrast to DL3's public persona. For me, part of that contrast is that he is genuine in his "redneckness". Perhaps part of that perceived genuiness is TG being in unchartered waters - contending for a title. Perhaps his public persona will change if he plays in the final groups on Sunday more often. But, for now, the contrast between the two persons was stark - in my opinion.

I also feel that the story lines of Sunday's final round, as presented by the media, needed a little "reading between the lines". I'm sure DL3 is delighted to earn his lifetime exemption - just like Warren Buffet or Donald Trump are delighted when they bet right on the market or the value of some real estate development. But what is so compelling about another "have" getting more of the same that he has gotton over the years? In my opinion (again), the more interesting story would have been seeing a "have not" graduate, for a time, to the status of a "have". Following that story over the next couple of years may have revealed something about the character of Mr. Gainey and perhaps more fodder for opinion pieces in TGN forums.

However, I have no doubt that TG would genuinely have appreciated the win, and all that it meant, more than DL3. How do we measure that? Well, we can't, it isn't possible. It is just my opinion. I think it is well-founded, others may not.

Rusty
                    Hey Rusty,
                    Very well written and explained, but here is where I have my issue...we all have the right to root for the underdog and dispise the successful. But to not like a guy because he is successful or under the microscope and says a few words that are questionable in either content or for that matter context is interesting.
                    Having said that, I am not a huge DL3 fan, yet I have been in dozens of locker rooms with the guy, and the story that you are alleging would be highly out of character. Yet anyone can be heard saying something to a buddy, again out of context, and you never know! DL3 is certainly not an out going guy, and I find him difficult to read, and I can see how he is percieved as being snobby....but be careful about perception and reality.
                    2 gloves is a different story, I had a ton of chances to work with him this year...and he is truly a "good ol' boy.....He wouldn't put our shaft in play this year in spite of unbelievable numbers 'cause the colour was that of an old rival college team!! actually funny! Great guy! but seriously off the wall!
                    Having said all that, everyone has a right to an opinion! and I think most in the public eye actually respect that.
                    just some thoughts,
                    g

Comment

No Love for me. I have my reasons and some have already been posted here. I don't think th etour has missed him one bit the last few years that he hasn't played well. I think after he saw his own reaction to Sergio runnin gdown the fairway at the Ryder Cup years ago along with the pathetic no love incident, he was ashamed adn lost confidence. Just a guess.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                      X