Collapse

CANADIAN PROS AND THEIR PUTTING

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CANADIAN PROS AND THEIR PUTTING

It seems to becoming a trend - Great ball striking, etc. but the gap seems to always be putting...

Honestly, watching Corey and Taylor this weekend was painful, watching Brooke at times has been painful as well. Is there something in our training/coaching programs that is ignoring this critical part of the game? I went down the road that bent grass is so different than some of the other green surfaces in the US (Poa, etc.), but the guys have spent so much time in the US since their college days surely this isn't the issue...

Not trying to be disrespectful, but this appears to becoming a major issue keeping our top pros from winning majors, other events where the nerves play such a big part. Corey especially was so nervous near the end of his round w/Xander it reminded me of Tom Watson trying to close out the open in 2009, almost 'yip' like.

Hope there is recognition of this and something is going to be done.

Thoughts?

- Ian
    TM Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
    TM BRNR Mini-Driver 11.5D* (Fujikura Vista Pro 55S)

TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
    TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
    TM Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
    TM My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters
    * (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride TM Pistol
    TM My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
    TM Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red)
    TM TP5 Golf Ball
    Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
    SkyCaddie SX550 GPS
    Bushnell ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

And we have one of the best short game/putting instructors in the world here also. Gareth Raflewski.

Svenson brilliant ball striker terrible putter.
    Hughes and Hadwin seem to have better days on the greens then rest of the them. But it’s still not something to rave about.
    Titleist TSi 3 w/ Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green 6.5
    Titleist TSi 3wd Ventus 7X
    Taylor Made Stealth+ Hybrid 19.5 Kai lia 95x
    Titleist T-100 KBS Tour 130x
    Taylor Made Hi Toe 50-54-58 DGS400
    Ping Redwood Anser 35" Black Finish!!!
    Ping Hoofer

Comment

Hockey hormones? Lacking finesse

Comment

If Connors had Hadwin's putting he'd be top5 in the world.

Golf Canada may need to hire Fax.

Comment

I've often wondered about that too. Does it have something to do with the fact that our season is short, so while it is easier to work on the swing during the winter it's tougher to find actual greens to putt on? I realize they now live in the warmer climates, but I was thinking of the common denominator. Going way back to guys like Dave Barr & Jim Nelford , who if I recall correctly played right handed but putted left.

Comment

Originally posted by tarrantian View Post
            It seems to becoming a trend - Great ball striking, etc. but the gap seems to always be putting...

Honestly, watching Corey and Taylor this weekend was painful, watching Brooke at times has been painful as well. Is there something in our training/coaching programs that is ignoring this critical part of the game? I went down the road that bent grass is so different than some of the other green surfaces in the US (Poa, etc.), but the guys have spent so much time in the US since their college days surely this isn't the issue...

Not trying to be disrespectful, but this appears to becoming a major issue keeping our top pros from winning majors, other events where the nerves play such a big part. Corey especially was so nervous near the end of his round w/Xander it reminded me of Tom Watson trying to close out the open in 2009, almost 'yip' like.

Thoughts?

- Ian
            let us not forget about George Knudson - won 8 times on tour - in his time many of the players on tour thought he had the best swing on tour as well as a fabulous ball striker but a very weak putter
            Driver - Cleveland Classic 290 - 10.5- Miyazaki Stiff -- Taylor Made Burner 3 and 5 wood
            23* and 26* Adams Idea Tech hybrids both with Fubuki 65HY S
            6 - W - Srixon Z 745 - Dynamic Gold S300
            52* - 56* Cobra Tour Trusty
            Scotty Cameron GoLo #7 --- Kia Ma Imola 8

Comment

Originally posted by cuonthe1t View Post

let us not forget about George Knudson - won 8 times on tour - in his time many of the players on tour thought he had the best swing on tour as well as a fabulous ball striker but a very weak putter
              Agreed and Moe Norman simply couldn't be bothered w/putting - It almost feels like a 'cultural' thing? Boy, even forgetting the Canadians, the Americans were SO MUCH stronger than the internationals. They were putting lights out...

Putting made the difference over the weekend without question.

TM Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
              TM My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
              TM TP5 Golf Ball
              Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
              SkyCaddie SX550 GPS

Comment

Thoughts?

- Ian
                Adam Hadwin and Nick Taylor grew up playing Ledgview Golf course in Abbotsford BC. It's a short course on the side of a mountain. The greens are small and fast with lots of breaks. You are also hitting lots of uphill and downhill shots. They have magnificent short games.

Comment

Originally posted by ping1-a View Post
                  If Connors had Hadwin's putting he'd be top5 in the world.

Golf Canada may need to hire Fax.
                  Or Dave Pelz. Conners looks like he is trying to avoid three putting rather than making the putt.
                  In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 10*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
                  Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
                  TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                  TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
                  PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
                  TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
                  Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
                  TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

Originally posted by unskinnybop99 View Post

Adam Hadwin and Nick Taylor grew up playing Ledgview Golf course in Abbotsford BC. It's a short course on the side of a mountain. The greens are small and fast with lots of breaks. You are also hitting lots of uphill and downhill shots. They have magnificent short games.
                    Here is the breakdown of avg strokes gained putting for the entirety of last season (make sure you filter as such):

Adam was the best Canuck last season ranked 74th and it goes down from there...

Connors ranked 2nd in ball striking, 136 in avg. sg putting. Pendrith, 16th ball striking, 134 in avg. sg putting. Stats don't lie sadly - Should be a '911' to Fax, Pelz, Kenyon, Stockton, anybody, somebody!!

TM TP5 Golf Ball
                    Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
                    SkyCaddie SX550 GPS

Comment

watching Brooke at times has been painful as well.
                      In the past I thought this was true, but she ranks 24th in putts per GIR, 8th in birdies per round and 3rd in scoring average, so those are some pretty good numbers.

The guys, not so much.

----
                      Long Live the Patriarchy

Comment

I'm going to put the President's Cup as just a terrible week of putting. Really pulling for Canadians on tour, and hate to think Pendrith & Connors that bad.

Yes putting was abysmal.

Comment

You're right. Some of her putting stats are good. However, in total putts per round, she ranks 70th. That said, when you're 3rd in greens in regulation, you're likely (I think) to have more total putts than a player who misses greens and chips on and 1 putts.

Originally posted by bk51 View Post

In the past I thought this was true, but she ranks 24th in putts per GIR, 8th in birdies per round and 3rd in scoring average, so those are some pretty good numbers.

The guys, not so much.
                          Last edited by mpare; Sep 27, 2022, 11:19 AM.
                          This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Originally posted by mpare View Post
                            You're right. Her some of her putting stats are good. However, in total putts per round, she ranks 70th. That said, when you're 3rd in greens in regulation, you're likely (I think) to have more total putts than a player who misses greens and chips on and 1 putts.
                            The beauty of stats Michael . . . I think you nailed it . . .
                            If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Originally posted by mpare View Post
                              You're right. Some of her putting stats are good. However, in total putts per round, she ranks 70th. That said, when you're 3rd in greens in regulation, you're likely (I think) to have more total putts than a player who misses greens and chips on and 1 putts.
                              Exactly. That's why I didn't quote that stat - it's totally skewed by hitting GIR versus chipping from just off the green.

The # 1 GIR player is 169th (last) in putts per round. The # 2 GIR player is 157th in putts per round. That makes 70th look pretty respectable.​
                              Last edited by bk51; Sep 28, 2022, 01:15 AM.
                              ----
                              Long Live the Patriarchy

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X