X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Clark WINS!!!

Originally posted by ninja View Post
    Hey Genius Bear, there was already a PLAYERS thread going and the headline went something like this..... THE PLAYERS..... Discussion and Spoiler Alert
    I don't recall even discussing what threads were and weren't in existence.

What I said in my post was, essentially, that if you've recorded a golf event and don't want it spoiled, you should probably avoid visiting golf discussion forums ... where the outcome of the event is certain to be discussed.

If you simply can't stay away from the board at a time when you'd be well-advised to do so, then you may have internet-addiction issues.

No one should have to refrain from discussing the outcome of the event -- even in thread titles -- just because YOU recorded it and YOU couldn't keep yourself away from the internet.

It's not a "spoiler" if the event is broadcast live. It's only a "spoiler" if the event is tape-delayed.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Bear View Post
      I don't recall even discussing what threads were and weren't in existence.

What I said in my post was, essentially, that if you've recorded a golf event and don't want it spoiled, you should probably avoid visiting golf discussion forums ... where the outcome of the event is certain to be discussed.

If you simply can't stay away from the board at a time when you'd be well-advised to do so, then you may have internet-addiction issues.

No one should have to refrain from discussing the outcome of the event -- even in thread titles -- just because YOU recorded it and YOU couldn't keep yourself away from the internet.

It's not a "spoiler" if the event is broadcast live. It's only a "spoiler" if the event is tape-delayed.
      Although I agree with some of what you said, keep in mind that its really a courtesy thing here. If you post the results in a thread title knowing full well that it will spoil it for some then your being a bit of a jerk.At least posting "spoiler alert" in the thread title will give a reader the option not to go in to the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarman View Post
        Although I agree with some of what you said, keep in mind that its really a courtesy thing here. If you post the results in a thread title knowing full well that it will spoil it for some then your being a bit of a jerk.At least posting "spoiler alert" in the thread title will give a reader the option not to go in to the thread.
        Yep, "CLARK WINS!!! - SPOILER ALERT" would have solved everything.

Reminds me of this SNL skit.

Comment

Originally posted by golfnguru View Post
          Yep, "CLARK WINS!!! - SPOILER ALERT" would have solved everything.

Reminds me of this SNL skit.
          "Players Championship - Winner *Spoiler Alert*"

I'll cut you some slack and just assume you weren't smart enough to figure it out.

Comment

I won't repeat what I've already said, but will expand on some of what I said.

If someone records an event and wants to avoid having the outcome of that event spoiled, they do certain things to protect the mystery. For example, if they're in their car and listening for traffic on 680, they turn away before the sportscast comes on. They avoid turning on The Golf Channel. They avoid turning on any TV station with a ticker that might show sporting results.

If someone turns on 680 and the sportscast comes on, is 680 in the wrong for spoiling the outcome? Is The Golf Channel? Of course not. They're all outlets where you expect the outcome to be openly discussed.

This is a golf discussion forum. It's reasonable to expect people to discuss the outcome, and since results are posted in thread titles after just about every event, it's reasonable to expect that you'll come here and NOT see an outcome in a thread title.

The way I see it, the person who has had the event "spoiled" made a choice: they decided that their need to come to Toronto Golf Nuts was greater than their need to keep the outcome of the event a mystery. But they had every reason to think there was a realistic possibility -- even a probability -- that coming here would spoil the outcome for them.

Comment

"Players Championship - Winner *Spoiler Alert*"

I'll cut you some slack and just assume you weren't smart enough to figure it out.
              OP posted at 6:57pm, even by saying "Winner" in the title would indicate that there was no playoff, which was the main story over the final few holes and thus would ruin suspense for the viewer.

Comment

I won't repeat what I've already said, but will expand on some of what I said.

If someone records an event and wants to avoid having the outcome of that event spoiled, they do certain things to protect the mystery. For example, if they're in their car and listening for traffic on 680, they turn away before the sportscast comes on. They avoid turning on The Golf Channel. They avoid turning on any TV station with a ticker that might show sporting results.

If someone turns on 680 and the sportscast comes on, is 680 in the wrong for spoiling the outcome? Is The Golf Channel? Of course not. They're all outlets where you expect the outcome to be openly discussed.

This is a golf discussion forum. It's reasonable to expect people to discuss the outcome, and since results are posted in thread titles after just about every event, it's reasonable to expect that you'll come here and NOT see an outcome in a thread title.

The way I see it, the person who has had the event "spoiled" made a choice: they decided that their need to come to Toronto Golf Nuts was greater than their need to keep the outcome of the event a mystery. But they had every reason to think there was a realistic possibility -- even a probability -- that coming here would spoil the outcome for them.
                What if they had to tend to something in the BST like respond to a post or check up on an address for the meeting place they are heading to hence why they had to record the end of the tournament?

I'm just throwing this out there, but there are reason's that someone may have to visit TGN that doesn't make them an "internet-addict" and deserving to have the tournament outcome spoiled.
                Mike R.

Comment

Originally posted by Kace View Post
                  What if they had to tend to something in the BST like respond to a post or check up on an address for the meeting place they are heading to hence why they had to record the end of the tournament?
                  Possibly, but how many of the complainers would that really apply to? Probably none. So no, I don't think that's valid. And really, it's pretty easy to load the page and press "Page Down" without viewing any thread titles. BST is miles apart from Tour Talk, and it's easy to access PMs without viewing thread titles, too. It's a matter of trying to avoid finding out the results -- the onus shouldn't be on everyone else.

I mean, expecting people to put "Spoiler" in their thread titles is like walking into Golf Town and expecting there to be a sign saying "Warning: staff may be discussing the outcome of today's tournament."

Comment

the onus shouldn't be on everyone else.
                    I don't think the onus is on anyone but to at least try to respect that it may spoil for others. Its not like your rights are being violated here. I would never intentionally spoil it for someone else by purposely posting a thread title with a spoiler. I know it would ruin it for some and why would I want to do that on purpose?
                    We are all supposed to be friends here with a common interest. Would you call up your buddy on the phone and tell him who won even though you knew that he had recorded it and had not yet watched it yet? I mean after all, he should know better than to answer the phone. Right?

Comment

I don't think the onus is on anyone but to at least try to respect that it may spoil for others. Its not like your rights are being violated here.
                      Nor are the rights of someone who recorded the event.
                      I would never intentionally spoil it for someone else by purposely posting a thread title with a spoiler.
                      I didn't suggest anyone should intentionally try to spoil an outcome. And I don't think anyone has posted a thread title with the intention of spoiling an outcome -- they've posted such thread titles for the purpose of giving a title to a discussion thread. There's no malicious intent here.

I merely said they should be free to discuss it openly -- even in thread titles -- without someone complaining that they didn't watch the event live and didn't want to know who wins.

I come back to what I said from the start -- it's a golf discussion board. People shouldn't get indignant when they come to a golf discussion board and see an outcome in a thread title. They should EXPECT that -- because it happens all the time.

We are all supposed to be friends here with a common interest. Would you call up your buddy on the phone and tell him who won even though you knew that he had recorded it and had not yet watched it yet? I mean after all, he should know better than to answer the phone. Right?
                      Actually, I'd put it this way. If you had recorded the event and showed up to meet some friends for drinks, and they didn't know you hadn't watched it (but were familiar with the concept of recording and viewing later), would they be expected to stop talking about the tournament? Perhaps, if they know that you regularly record tournaments. But if it's me, I walk in the room and say "Don't tell me who won -- I recorded it."

And personally, I don't post the outcomes of tournaments in thread titles. But people who do usually were not even aware they'd be spoiling things, and they get vilified here by people who seem surprised that a golf discussion board actually discusses the outcome of tournaments.

Is it a nice courtesy to warn of spoilers? Absolutely. I'm not going to disagree with you on that point. Do people who forget to warn of spoilers, or who have not considered that they might be spoiling things, deserve to be thumped for a thread title? No.

If you record a sporting event, you avoid things. You avoid news and sports broadcasts, you tell your friends "don't tell me who won" ... why would you not also avoid going to websites devoted to that sport?

Comment

Wow, you really don`t understand common courtesy, do you?

Everyone uses the board differently. ie I normally just click "new posts" rather than search through the entire thing line by line. Thereby, everything thats new comes up regardless of the title or sub section it's in.

Is it really that difficult to be part of a community that understands and respects other people's desires ??

But yeah, feel free to keep arguing your point cause I suspect you still don't get it.
                        Canada's best golf instructor is Nick Starchuk.

Comment

A little thoughtfulness doesn't seem that much to ask for, but for some I guess it is. That's a shame.
                          This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

I've watched the issue of "spoilers" come up on sports-themed boards for... about a dozen years.

Some people just don't learn. Some people are selfish, and always will be.

In the past, I figured it was selfish to spoil the outcome for others by not putting "spoiler" in the subject line.

But over the years I've changed my mind 180 degrees. Why on earth should every person around the web (and even tgn has lots of members in different time zones) have to figure out what is broadcast and when for your local viewing? Why should they have to write tepid bland "XXX event (spoiler)" titles to all their threads? How do they know how long to wait until every other possible member might have had the chance to finish whatever they were doing and eventually watch their copy of the event?

Why isn't the onus on the reader to stay away from TGN until they've had a chance to watch?

Tiger withdrew yesterday and it was posted immediately. Should that have been a spoiler too? "Some golfer's schedule has changed (spoiler)". Wouldn't want to say which golfer, or what part of his (or her) schedule....

Like Golden Bear, I do believe it would be courteous to use spoilers where possible. But I'm not naive enough to expect it. And I won't go on TGN if I've PVRed a tourney until I've had a chance to watch it.
                            "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                            ...Iggy

Comment

Tim Clark's wife is hot!

Comment

personally I can't watch sports taped. It's live or nothing.

As for the spoiler, if you don't want to find out, stay off the internet, especially golf sites. Easy Peasy.
                                MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X