Collapse

Toronto Sun Front Page: "Is Mike Weir Washed Up?"

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toronto Sun Front Page: "Is Mike Weir Washed Up?"

They always say a golfer (pro) is in his prime between 28 and 35 years of age. Mike is now 40 and Tigger is.........34, soon to be 35. Tigger, you're washed up.
    Ping G425 Max 9* Driver, Tour 65-S
    Ping G425 SFT 15* 3 Wood, Tour 75-S
    Ping G425 SFT 19* 5 Wood, Tour 75-S
    Ping G425 Max 23.5* 9 Wood, Tour 75-S
    Ping G425 Max 26* 5 Hybrid, Tour 85-S
    Ping S56 Irons, 6 to 9, PW, Aldila VS 85-S
    Ping Tour S, 52/12*, 58/10*,Aldila VS 85-S
    Ping Chip-R, Ping Z115-S (new)
    Ping 35" Tomcat 14 Putter (new)
    Ping "Latitude" Carry Bag
    Nikon Laser 500G Rangefinder

Comment

Weirsy got a special invite to play at the PGA Championship.

Comment

The fact is Mike Weir has not done much since 2003. He is not as good as how Canadian think he is. He has 1 major, 1 WGC, and 6 tour wins, most of which happened before 2004. He was an above average player in his prime, but he hasn't done much except for winning a fall series event for the past 5 years.

We are so caught up with "Masters Champion"...winning one major doesn't mean too much. Here are some names for you: Michael Campbell, Ben Curtis, Steve Jones, Trevor Immelman, Todd Hamilton, Paul Lawrie

Does any of these names make you jump up and say "He's a decent player?"

The world thinks of Mike Weir as Canadian think of Michael Campbell. In most cases, that would be not much.

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty17 View Post
          Mikey needs to find the consistency that came from S & T with his tee ball

He's tied for 180 in 2010 PGA TOUR Distance from Center of Fairway

He is second to LAST (192th) in Total Driving
          Total Driving is computed by totaling a player's rank in both driving distance and driving accuracy.
          The official web site of the PGA TOUR. Providing the only Real-Time Live Scoring for the PGA TOUR, Champions Tour and Korn Ferry Tour. Home of official PGA TOUR

The stats show he is short and inaccurate.

Mike Weir is 97th in "Total Putting".

Comment

Remember when Mikey took down Tiger in match play at the Presidents cup? .... (i think it was match play anyways)

Originally posted by Jambo View Post
            Look... Arnold Palmer is washed up, Jack Nicklaus is washed up... but do you think Americans would spend any time embarassing and tearing down their greatest players ever? Or would they celebrate their accomplishments and applaud them everytime they tee it up, even if their skills have diminished.
            No Canadian has ever accomplished what Mike Weir has in the game of golf, none have really come close (maybe Knudson and Streit). And no Canadian may ever match Mike Weir's record. The fact is, Mike Weir has been one of the top 10 to 15 players in the world in the Tiger Woods era, he's 12th all-time on the money list.
            Maybe it's a Toronto media thing, rip the best player Canada has ever produced. Maybe that's why their pro teams are such perenniel losers and no pro athlete wants to play in Toronto. The Leafs all-time leading scorer was reviled by Toronto fans for not waiving his no trade clause and the Raptors all-time leading scorer is reviled for leaving town to try and actually win, despite playing well for 7 years in Toronto. Loyalty is a two way street and Toronto media and fans treat the great athletes like dirt once they have no use for them any more. And that's why Toronto remains loserville in the world of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Chriswalters0990 View Post
              Remember when Mikey took down Tiger in match play at the Presidents cup? .... (i think it was match play anyways)
              Dude...you are the typical ignorant Canadian with the Mike Weir bias. The Americans won by 5 points. Before the day began, the Americans were up 7, which made all the singles matches pretty much irrelevant. Please don't make anything out of that match...
              Last edited by ballerz; Aug 3, 2010, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chriswalters0990 View Post
                Yeah that was great.

Now he is ranked 91 in the world rankings and 128 on the PGA Tour money list and sinking fast.

Comment

Originally posted by ballerz View Post
                  Dude...you are the typical ignorant Canadian with the Mike Weir bias. The Americans won by 5 points. Before the day began, the Americans were up 7, which made all the singles matches pretty much irrelevant. Please don't make anything out of that match...
                  Weir was one of the best players on either team at 3-1-1 on the losing team.

Weir had a great President's Cup and it was a great match with Tiger.

That is simply reality regardless of what you think.

Comment

Originally posted by Malibook View Post
                    Weir was one of the best players on either team at 3-1-1 on the losing team.

Weir had a great President's Cup and it was a great match with Tiger.

That is simply reality regardless of what you think.
                    Thank you for proving my point. There are too many ignorant people in our country who cannot separate their emotions from facts. Following your logic of picking a tiny sample of Weir's career, Sergio Garcia might just be the greatest golfer in the world.

Comment

Thank you for proving my point. There are too many ignorant people in our country who cannot separate their emotions from facts. Following your logic of picking a tiny sample of Weir's career, Sergio Garcia might just be the greatest golfer in the world.
                      My logic?
                      Is English your first language?

I have never claimed that Weir is one of the best golfers of all time.

Someone mentioned the match with Tiger.
                      It was a great match in a great President's Cup for Weir and Canada.
                      Nothing more, nothing less.
                      Nobody claimed that made Weir one of the best golfers ever.
                      You are the ignorant one trying to dismiss it as nothing.

Weir has had a good career.
                      Not amongst the all time greats but very good none the less.
                      Although the money has changed dramatically over the years, 11th overall in career earnings relative to his generation is very good indeed.

And I am certainly not blind to reality.
                      Now he is ranked 91 in the world rankings and 128 on the PGA Tour money list and sinking fast.
                      Last edited by Malibook; Aug 3, 2010, 09:59 AM.

Comment

My logic?
                        Is English your first language?

I have never claimed that Weir is one of the best golfers of all time.

Someone mentioned the match with Tiger.
                        It was a great match in a great President's Cup for Weir and Canada.
                        Nothing more, nothing less.
                        Nobody claimed that made Weir one of the best golfer ever.
                        You are the ignorant one trying to dismiss it as nothing.

Weir has had a good career.
                        Not amongst the all time greats but very good none the less.
                        Although the money has changed dramatically over the years, 11th overall in career earnings relative to his generation is very good indeed.

And I am certainly not blind to reality.
                        OMG!!!

I have been trying to tell you the Tiger-Weir match was an irrelevant match. The Canadian media made it such a big deal because the 2007 President's Cup was a dud. The event was over on Saturday and they need something to fill the air. The international media was covering it because Tiger was there, not because it was Mike Weir and they were playing Canada!

If we use a hockey comparison, that match would be like the Leafs beating the Capitals in the last game of the regular season with nothing on the line and the Caps are just trying to get out of the game with no injuries. You're not going to read anything about this game.

Somebody on this forum was trying to support Weir by pointing to an irrelevant match play event. Mind you, it's a one-off match play so we really shouldn't take too much stock into it even had the match had any meaning. He was a captain's pick too - meaning he wasn't even consistent enough leading to the event. From what I remembered, Stephen Ames was the more deserving Canadian for that spot.

Comment

OMG!!!

I have been trying to tell you the Tiger-Weir match was an irrelevant match. The Canadian media made it such a big deal because the 2007 President's Cup was a dud. The event was over on Saturday and they need something to fill the air. The international media was covering it because Tiger was there, not because it was Mike Weir and they were playing Canada!

If we use a hockey comparison, that match would be like the Leafs beating the Capitals in the last game of the regular season with nothing on the line and the Caps are just trying to get out of the game with no injuries. You're not going to read anything about this game.

Somebody on this forum was trying to support Weir by pointing to an irrelevant match play event. Mind you, it's a one-off match play so we really shouldn't take too much stock into it even had the match had any meaning. He was a captain's pick too - meaning he wasn't even consistent enough leading to the event. From what I remembered, Stephen Ames was the more deserving Canadian for that spot.
                          The fact that the Weir/Woods match was not pivotal does not make it meaningless.

So it was meaningless to you.
                          So what?
                          Good for you.

Your Leafs analogy is idiotic.
                          Weir and Woods played their hearts out regardless of the standings, unlike the Leafs going through the motions to finish the season.

It was a great match.
                          Nobody claimed it meant Weir was better than Tiger.
                          Nobody claimed it meant that Weir was one of the best players ever.

Weir was quite simply one of the best players on either team.
                          That is a perfect example of why there are Captain's picks and why they don't simply go by the rankings.
                          Now there are even more Captain's picks, not fewer.

Comment

I hate to be blunt, but you appear to have no aversion to candour so let me speak my mind. Only one who does not understand competitive golf or the Canadian psyche would say that the Mike Weir-Tiger Woods match was irrelevant. Both players fought as hard as they could to win it, and the fans who watched it were captivated by their effort.

OMG!!!

I have been trying to tell you the Tiger-Weir match was an irrelevant match. ...
                            This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Please go away...

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
                              TM SLDR 10.5*
                              TM SLDR 3W & TM V-Steel 5W
                              TM Rescue 22*
                              4-PW Mix of Mizuno MX-25's and TM RBZ's
                              Wedges: Titleist SM 53* & 56*
                              Ping Ketch
                              Ball: What's on sale?

Comment

Getting back on topic, how do you Weir lovers justify the original poster who chalked the victory over Woods as a positive in his post 2006 career?

We've agreed it's non pivotal. The 30 million people in Canada had great sentimental feelings involved and Weir probably played his damnest to win. But when Weir was over his putt on 18, he was playing only for pride. There was no trophy to lift.

The world does not consist of only Canada. The Weir-Woods match was meaningless to about 7 billion people in the world. I bet you the average golf fan watching in Japan or Europe that day was watching the match because Tiger was playing somebody, not because Weir was playing on home soil.

Please try to defend your position instead of attacking my lack of Canadian patriotism. If something stinks about this country, I am going to speak out an fix it if I can. Not sugar-coat it.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X