Collapse

Canadian Open ...yawn

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canadian Open ...yawn

Carl Pettersson ? really? I thought it was Carl Spackler.

Comment

Personally, I was pleasantly surprised at the strength of the field. It's been several years since the Canadian Open field has been this strong. It was about the strength of a decent-ish PGA event ... which isn't all that bad. It's a huge fall from what the event once was, of course.

It would be tough for me to call the Canadian Open a "yawn." I thought there was some pretty good golf, and it's tough to find what Petterson did on the last two days boring. It doesn't matter to me how big the golfer's name is ... a 60 is a 60.

It seems to me that RBC has done a fantastic job of getting better venues for the tournament and bringing back some high profile players. That doesn't mean that there isn't work to do on the latter ... but this year's tournament felt like a big step in the right direction.

Comment

WOW Bentley...I am an idiot! I meant to say you could not be more right!!!!!!!! Wow...I am so sorry dude, comment changed!

P.S. It's true....any excuse to think about Paula...

Originally posted by Bentley01 View Post
        I meant that we could learn a lot from watching the women swing! And for some of them, like Paula, I just feel good all over, too!

Comment

Originally posted by BowmanvilleJim View Post
          Once again, no one is saying the players who where there can't play great golf but they are NOT the stars of the tour. I want to see the stars, not the guys who fill out the field.
          Ok. Go to a major.

Simple enough. Problem solved.

Moving on...

Nice event on the weekend. Great to see St George's in the rotation and it stood up nicely, despite easy scoring conditions all week.

Enjoyable weekend infront of the flat screen. Wanted to go out on Sat but the weather prevented.

Comment

OR one of the 15 other tour stops that get Very Good-Great fields each year.

Guess we aren't allowed to remember when this Tournament was one of them.

Originally posted by jamesduncan View Post
            Ok. Go to a major.

Moving on...

Nice event on the weekend. Great to see St George's in the rotation and it stood up nicely, despite easy scoring conditions all week.

Enjoyable weekend infront of the flat screen. Wanted to go out on Sat but the weather prevented.

Comment

Whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Hacker View Post
                What was Louis Oostheizen world ranking prior to lapping the field of 'elite' players at the British? 291 or something like that?
                But seeing guys like Nathan Green, Chez Reavie or Dean Wilson doesn't exactly get me excited.
                it's all about "spin", Carl Pettersson is certainly a BIGGER name than Louis Oosthuizen, even moreso today, but he didn't just win a Major!

Originally posted by Golden Bear View Post
                Personally, I was pleasantly surprised at the strength of the field. It's been several years since the Canadian Open field has been this strong. It was about the strength of a decent-ish PGA event ... which isn't all that bad. It's a huge fall from what the event once was, of course.

It would be tough for me to call the Canadian Open a "yawn." I thought there was some pretty good golf, and it's tough to find what Petterson did on the last two days boring. It doesn't matter to me how big the golfer's name is ... a 60 is a 60.

It seems to me that RBC has done a fantastic job of getting better venues for the tournament and bringing back some high profile players. That doesn't mean that there isn't work to do on the latter ... but this year's tournament felt like a big step in the right direction.
                Well said!
                Imagine if RBC wasn't the Sponsor, then what would we have!!??
                Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Ok. Go to a major.

Moving on...

Perhaps all the people who feel this years event was "exciting" just haven't set the bar high enough. Maybe those people are defending it as being something it wasn't out of pride. Why can't we say "Not good enough. We want the stars to come"

Comment

Why can't we say "Not good enough. We want the stars to come"
                    Cause life sucks sometimes.

Get over yourselves already.

Comment

Cause life sucks sometimes.

Get over yourselves already.
                      what does that mean?

Comment

Don't even bother Jim.

Stupid cliche's about the hardships of life hardly address any of the valid points made here. Some people just like to piss others off....

Comment

what does that mean?
                          jamesduncan is a bitter man!?
                          Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

he should be with a name like james .... oh wait, that sounds familiar

Comment

Sure Tubby vs. Stack n Tilt doesn't make a riveting final pair but RBC has been doing a good job making the event relevant again. Peterson did put on a show on the weekend. Pretty remarkable victory when you think of it.
                              No, I found my ball. I'm looking for the golf course.

Comment

Perhaps all the people who feel this years event was "exciting" just haven't set the bar high enough. Maybe those people are defending it as being something it wasn't out of pride. Why can't we say "Not good enough. We want the stars to come"
                                I could care less if Tigger and FIGJAM came. There was plenty of good golf out there yesterday. I played St. Georges back in '71 and really couldn't remember all the holes, so I picked up Charles Howell and Charlie Hoffman and walked all 18 with them. Under 4 hours, mind you. The group in front had Greg Chambers and Michael Letzig, so I saw a quite a bit of those two. Hoffman shot 65, Chambers shot 65, Letzig shot 65 and Howell had a 69 and didn't make a putt all day. Now that was some great golf and nobody was standing in front of me for any shot, except for those 6 guys who had on white Titleist hats with long flowing blonde hair (extensions) sticking out the back. What a hoot. Even Charlie Hoffman had a good laugh when he saw them at #2 tee.

Anyway, you get Tigger or FIGJAM out there and you will have 12 rows of people or lemmings in front of you and you won't see a darn thing. Doesn't interest me.
                                Ping G425 Max 9* Driver, Tour 65-S
                                Ping G425 SFT 15* 3 Wood, Tour 75-S
                                Ping G425 SFT 19* 5 Wood, Tour 75-S
                                Ping G425 Max 23.5* 9 Wood, Tour 75-S
                                Ping G425 Max 26* 5 Hybrid, Tour 85-S
                                Ping S56 Irons, 6 to 9, PW, Aldila VS 85-S
                                Ping Tour S, 52/12*, 58/10*,Aldila VS 85-S
                                Ping Chip-R, Ping Z115-S (new)
                                Ping 35" Tomcat 14 Putter (new)
                                Ping "Latitude" Carry Bag
                                Nikon Laser 500G Rangefinder

Comment