No announcement yet.
Collapse

My honest Modern Golf Fitting Review...

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My honest Modern Golf Fitting Review...

Originally posted by Gwelfgulfer View Post
    Usually under one of the counters, but they are there.
    Good to know.

Originally posted by GoLoKennedy View Post
    I always check swing weights of clubs at GT. I've only done it at 2 locations (1 by work and 1 by home) but they both have the old school pendulum scales and have always been relatively accurate. Last few times I have had work done at MG they check the SW while i'm going over the work I want done and it has always been in the same ball park as GT but more accurate as it's digital.

Mind you I went a few weeks back to the GT heartland location and asked one of the kids if I could check the SW on my driver and he had literally no clue what swingweight was and did not know they even had a scale to check until I pointed it out to him. One of the senior guys there was stunned that I knew what I was talking about and was adamant that shortening my driver was a huge mistake. I have played my driver at 44.5 and D2-D2.5 for years.....it came out at D6 and 45.25!

There are alot of knowledgeable employees at GT but a good chunk are just trying to sell the latest and greatest to the average joe. The guys at MG are awesome and have always provided me with great customer service.....and the reminds me that I need to get my 915 hotmelted and should give them a call lol
    I love GT and go there regularly. Someone asked the difference so I was just trying to explain. Modern isnt for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Pin Seeker View Post
      Actually I tried several different heads and shafts. What specs are you talking about. Ending up get Ping I with Nippons.
      Lie, loft, swingweight and flex. I gather PING is among the best as far as being on spec is concerned.....some others ....not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Lob wedge View Post
        Lie, loft, swingweight and flex. I gather PING is among the best as far as being on spec is concerned.....some others ....not so much.
        Too bad Hogans are not around anymore. Just bought some heads from a fellow TGNer Specs were bang on.

Comment

Originally posted by Tintin View Post
          Too bad Hogans are not around anymore. Just bought some heads from a fellow TGNer Specs were bang on.
          Here you go...

Ben Hogan Golf provides the highest quality golfing equipment to Mr Hogan's exacting standards, sold direct to consumer

Comment

Originally posted by SliceHooker View Post
            Those are sweet looking clubs.
            ----
            Long Live the Patriarchy

Comment

Originally posted by bk51 View Post
              Those are sweet looking clubs.
              Their other iron model very sweet looking ... minty.
              Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
              Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
              Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Originally posted by TJames View Post
                Well I had my Modern Golf fitting today, this may be a lengthy post but figured just to add to the thread not create my own.

I had Justin as the fitter (Justin if you read this great job today).

They checked all my clubs before we started for flex and swing weights, my Ping G25 from Ping were all well speced and no issues here, my other clubs are older so they were off.

We started with irons and I hit the Titleist AP1, Srixon something, Callaway Apex, Taylormade M2, and Ping I. My current set is Ping G25 short 1/2" red dot with R shaft. I hit my own clubs well and a small draw. I hit a 6 iron (my 6 iron) I believe 86MPH and 175 carry. The best club for me was the Ping I which I also hit at 86MPH but was hitting them 185 yards carry. The shaft was Project X in 6.0 which I think was either S or XS, not sure Im a little on the clueless side with all the shafts options I left it all to the fitter. So went from R shafts to I believe XS and an incredibly tight grouping.

Next we hit driver. My driver swing speed is 106MPH~ and I was carrying between 240-260 depending on strike (My driver is weak part of my game). I have a Callaway something driver in R shaft. We tested Ping LS Tec, Callaway XR (maybe the pro as well), Callaway Great Big Bertha, and Taylormade M2. (I asked at the end why we didnt hit Titleist and Justin said I was hitting the GBB really well and the titleist wouldnt fit my swing). The best club for me was the Callaway GBB with a Fuji Pro 63G in X Flex. So again from R flex to X Flex. I was carrying I believe 260-275 with a 108MPH swing. I was only able to get the GBB up to 108, none of the other drivers got up to 108MPH. We also tested a Speeder shaft which produced very similar numbers. The Ping Driver I was hitting a lot of pulls.

At this point I can feel getting tired and hungry lol, don't go to this with a small breakfast :crazy:

We hit 3W next. I hit my 3W (an old junker, no name basically) 210-220 with 101MPH swing. We didnt hit to many 3W as we spent a lot of time on irons and driver. I believe we only hit the Callaway XR and Ping G. Callaway XR was a bullet and small draw to straight flight. Also fitted in the Fuji Pro with 73g X Flex. I actually hit a lot of these, and we tried between the Accra something shaft (It was red and yellow) and the Fuji Pro. I was able to get 103MPH~ SS with it and carry I believe was 230 yards rolling to about 255 yards. The 3W would be almost as long as the driver.

Then we moved on to hybrids. Can feel more tired now, probably 3+ hours of hitting balls now, really hungry now too lol. I hit two clubs again here after hitting my own club. My 4H is about 195-205 yards carry. I wasnt hitting it well though and blocked them all which is not normal, I usually hook my hybrid. We tried the Titleist 4H and Callaway XR 4H. The Callaway sounded better to me, but was only getting 195-205 yards carry with I believe 94MPH~. The Titleist in a stock shaft (not sure what it was, it was white and red, I believe X again) I was able to get closer to 220 yards carry with same swing speed.

That wrapped up clubs and we did some putter testing. I thought we would do putter testing in some fancy room with numbers of loft and etc, but it was just done with a board and chalk line. We were basically at 4 hours when we started putter testing as well. I only tested two putters here, and not sure if I would settle on anything at this point. I have a Ping Anser putter now so maybe just work with what I have to get better with it. I was kind of hoping to test a bunch of putters as I was considering replacing my putter, but I understand we ran out of time. I for some reason was also under the impression they had some fancy device to measure putting stroke and what not to recommend putters for you (was at the Mississauga location). This was probably the only part of the fitting I wasnt really impressed with, and perhaps its because we had no more time.

Overall, great fitting and everything went really well. I probably will replace my 3W and 4H first and then driver and then irons.
                Nice review, thanks!

So full bag fitting might be too much to do then. 4 and more hours swinging clubs are tiring for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by SliceHooker View Post
                  Very nice but I will stick to mine

Comment

Well I had my Modern Golf fitting today, this may be a lengthy post but figured just to add to the thread not create my own.

I had Justin as the fitter (Justin if you read this great job today).

They checked all my clubs before we started for flex and swing weights, my Ping G25 from Ping were all well speced and no issues here, my other clubs are older so they were off.

We started with irons and I hit the Titleist AP1, Srixon something, Callaway Apex, Taylormade M2, and Ping I. My current set is Ping G25 short 1/2" red dot with R shaft. I hit my own clubs well and a small draw. I hit a 6 iron (my 6 iron) I believe 86MPH and 175 carry. The best club for me was the Ping I which I also hit at 86MPH but was hitting them 185 yards carry. The shaft was Project X in 6.0 which I think was either S or XS, not sure Im a little on the clueless side with all the shafts options I left it all to the fitter. So went from R shafts to I believe XS and an incredibly tight grouping.

Next we hit driver. My driver swing speed is 106MPH~ and I was carrying between 240-260 depending on strike (My driver is weak part of my game). I have a Callaway something driver in R shaft. We tested Ping LS Tec, Callaway XR (maybe the pro as well), Callaway Great Big Bertha, and Taylormade M2. (I asked at the end why we didnt hit Titleist and Justin said I was hitting the GBB really well and the titleist wouldnt fit my swing). The best club for me was the Callaway GBB with a Fuji Pro 63G in X Flex. So again from R flex to X Flex. I was carrying I believe 260-275 with a 108MPH swing. I was only able to get the GBB up to 108, none of the other drivers got up to 108MPH. We also tested a Speeder shaft which produced very similar numbers. The Ping Driver I was hitting a lot of pulls.

At this point I can feel getting tired and hungry lol, don't go to this with a small breakfast :crazy:

We hit 3W next. I hit my 3W (an old junker, no name basically) 210-220 with 101MPH swing. We didnt hit to many 3W as we spent a lot of time on irons and driver. I believe we only hit the Callaway XR and Ping G. Callaway XR was a bullet and small draw to straight flight. Also fitted in the Fuji Pro with 73g X Flex. I actually hit a lot of these, and we tried between the Accra something shaft (It was red and yellow) and the Fuji Pro. I was able to get 103MPH~ SS with it and carry I believe was 230 yards rolling to about 255 yards. The 3W would be almost as long as the driver.

Then we moved on to hybrids. Can feel more tired now, probably 3+ hours of hitting balls now, really hungry now too lol. I hit two clubs again here after hitting my own club. My 4H is about 195-205 yards carry. I wasnt hitting it well though and blocked them all which is not normal, I usually hook my hybrid. We tried the Titleist 4H and Callaway XR 4H. The Callaway sounded better to me, but was only getting 195-205 yards carry with I believe 94MPH~. The Titleist in a stock shaft (not sure what it was, it was white and red, I believe X again) I was able to get closer to 220 yards carry with same swing speed.

That wrapped up clubs and we did some putter testing. I thought we would do putter testing in some fancy room with numbers of loft and etc, but it was just done with a board and chalk line. We were basically at 4 hours when we started putter testing as well. I only tested two putters here, and not sure if I would settle on anything at this point. I have a Ping Anser putter now so maybe just work with what I have to get better with it. I was kind of hoping to test a bunch of putters as I was considering replacing my putter, but I understand we ran out of time. I for some reason was also under the impression they had some fancy device to measure putting stroke and what not to recommend putters for you (was at the Mississauga location). This was probably the only part of the fitting I wasnt really impressed with, and perhaps its because we had no more time.

Overall, great fitting and everything went really well. I probably will replace my 3W and 4H first and then driver and then irons.

I would definetely get back in there to re do putter on the quintic machine they do have- it is now officially the best part of my game and is for sure the most importnant club I have gotten fitted as it has dropped my ppr by 6 shots avg.
                    TM M1 - Graphite DesignTour AD DI 7x- Tipped 1" - 44.5"
                    TM M1 15*- Graphite DesignTour AD DI 8x- Tipped 1" - 43"
                    Adams Super Proto 20 - Graphite DesignTour AD DI 105x-
                    Miura MB001 - 4-PW - DG TI Onyx X100
                    Yurruri Raw Gekku 52,56,60 - DG TI Onyx S400
                    Bobby Grace Shiloh SS - TF - Accra Fx P200 - 35"
                    Titleist PROV1X

EAGLE RIDGE G.C

Comment

Originally posted by MarioV View Post
                      I would definetely get back in there to re do putter on the quintic machine they do have- it is now officially the best part of my game and is for sure the most importnant club I have gotten fitted as it has dropped my ppr by 6 shots avg.
                      Should I email and say I never got on the putter machine? I was under the impression that was included and we didn't do it.

Comment

Should I email and say I never got on the putter machine? I was under the impression that was included and we didn't do it.
                        Yes. You got shorted on your putter fitting. I've done one there before and it was much more thorough than what you received.

Imho your fitter spent too much time on woods/hybrids compared to the putter. It also seems like it would have been nice to work the putter fitting in between the irons and driver to give you a bit of a breather.

Comment

Originally posted by RutgersKev View Post
                          Yes. You got shorted on your putter fitting. I've done one there before and it was much more thorough than what you received.

Imho your fitter spent too much time on woods/hybrids compared to the putter. It also seems like it would have been nice to work the putter fitting in between the irons and driver to give you a bit of a breather.
                          Agreed.. I would definitely do that... I launched the ball at 6 to 7 degrees and it would skip almost 20 inches from the putter face and rolled only 30 ish rpm..

When they built my putter we got that to 1.5 degree launch consistently with 70ish rpm forward roll and almost eliminated the skid completely.. they can in most cases rebuild your putter... but once I saw and felt the numbers we created with the new one I opted to spend 700 on the new putter which I would never dream of doing with any golf club.. best money I ever spent on golf - period! Ive had my putter for over a season now and have never questioned it or the purchase.
                          TM M1 - Graphite DesignTour AD DI 7x- Tipped 1" - 44.5"
                          TM M1 15*- Graphite DesignTour AD DI 8x- Tipped 1" - 43"
                          Adams Super Proto 20 - Graphite DesignTour AD DI 105x-
                          Miura MB001 - 4-PW - DG TI Onyx X100
                          Yurruri Raw Gekku 52,56,60 - DG TI Onyx S400
                          Bobby Grace Shiloh SS - TF - Accra Fx P200 - 35"
                          Titleist PROV1X

EAGLE RIDGE G.C

Comment

They are a little pricey but I find myself going there more and more. I usually deal with Ryan. Countless times he's done things for me on the spot with no appointment pending it's something simple like a pull, cut, swing weight, etc. Great guy.

Comment

Originally posted by lipw87 View Post
                              They are a little pricey but I find myself going there more and more. I usually deal with Ryan. Countless times he's done things for me on the spot with no appointment pending it's something simple like a pull, cut, swing weight, etc. Great guy.
                              Agreed. He's amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by MarioV View Post
                                Agreed.. I would definitely do that... I launched the ball at 6 to 7 degrees and it would skip almost 20 inches from the putter face and rolled only 30 ish rpm..

When they built my putter we got that to 1.5 degree launch consistently with 70ish rpm forward roll and almost eliminated the skid completely.. they can in most cases rebuild your putter... but once I saw and felt the numbers we created with the new one I opted to spend 700 on the new putter which I would never dream of doing with any golf club.. best money I ever spent on golf - period! Ive had my putter for over a season now and have never questioned it or the purchase.
                                I Emailed them, but they never got back to me. Is there a rep on the board for Modern Golf?

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X