Collapse

Grip Cleaning - the 'Secret' Method

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Grip Cleaning - the 'Secret' Method

What is the advantage to the tire cleaner over dish detergent?
    I'm afraid the tire cleaner might be a bit too harsh.

Comment

Originally posted by golfer40 View Post
      Wow I'm never telling you a secret
      I kept a secret my granny told me when I was 10. Never told my parents until after her death and they both said they already knew. She told me she had false teeth and not to tell anyone
      Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
      Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
      Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

THanks Harry! What would the tire cleaner do to the yellow part of my grips? LOL I've always used Dish Washer detergent, it's ok I guess but if you need stick on it then wash it with coke! WOrks with my table tennis paddle
        Cobra King F7
        Cobra Bio Cell+ 12.5
        Cobra Bio Cell+ 16*
        Cobra Amp Pro 6-AW + KBS C-Tapers S
        Cobra Tour Trusty Dual (56/60)
        Bettinardi Studio 6

Comment

I have used this stuff in the past. I got it from the office where we used it to clean platens on old dot matrix printers.

Comment

Originally posted by Leftygolfer30 View Post
            Nope.

I don't want any residue from tire cleaner on my grips.

5 cents worth of dish soap works good enough for me.
            Some of the new compound grips should not have any soap applied to them. I know that Lamkin does not recommend that the N-DUR have any type of soap applied to them as it will leave a residue on the grips.
            Their recommendation is water and a nylon brush.
            In The Ogio
            Driver - Titleist TS4 w/Diamana
            Fairway Wood - KZG CH-II 3 wood w/Accra HF
            Hybrids - Nakashima NX 3 and 4 w/Accra HF
            Irons - Wilson FG Tour V2 w/KBS Tours
            Wedges - Wilson FG Tours w/TT DG SPinners
            Putter - Scotty Cameron Red X​
            MEMBER OF THE 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2018 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

I TourIQ ....

I finally went out and got some Simonize Tire Cleaner (with Bleche-White) and did my grips.

I did all my clubs, which have a variety of grips.

I have mostly NDMC, and this worked perfectly on them. I went around each grip about 3 times with the scrub brush, and with each pass I could feel the brush being grabbed by the grip more. After rinsing and drying, they are now tacky as new.

I had equal success on my old Nike slingbacks.

My old TM V-Steel 5W with original grip was less successful - it's improved, but not by much. I never did play that club very much.

I also have a 2 year old Winn X-17 on my SW. The treatment didn't seem to work on that at all. I will replace the grip with a new NDMC.

Another thing I learned is that $9.99 buys you enough Simonize to do about 1500 grips. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all that - I'm not interested in polishing my tires.... I thought about having a big TGN grip cleaning party, but my wife said it would be too tacky...
              "Confusion" will be my epitaph
              ...Iggy

Comment

Just tried the Simoniz cleaner from Canadian Tire last night on all my Golf Pride NDMC grips .. they were just about to be replaced and now they look/feel brand new now. Was amazed on how much oil and dirt came off those grips.

Thanks OP!!

Comment

Great tip! Just did my 3 yo golf pride putter grip and it's like brand new. Picked up the blech stuff in the states for a few bucks saved me from regripping my putter!
                  Thanks man! My crossline cords are next!

Comment

This is a great tip... the step by step is crucial to success; how many times should step 12 be repeated?
                    Bag o' Trix

Ping G5 10.5, 15, 18
                    Ping S59 3-9
                    Vokey Oil Cans 50, 56, 60
                    Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 3
                    Titleist Pro V1

Comment

Originally posted by GQuizzle View Post
                      This is a great tip... the step by step is crucial to success; how many times should step 12 be repeated?

At least 14 times one for each club

Comment

I do as Fred Couples. Keep a piece of rough sand paper in your bag and have at it every so often. Works wonders.

Comment

Originally posted by Bender View Post
                          I do as Fred Couples. Keep a piece of rough sand paper in your bag and have at it every so often. Works wonders.
                          As long as you don't mind changing your grips more than you really need to...
                          forgedblade ... LH'ed Blueprinted Set
                          Driver - ADAMS XTD Titanium 9*, XX flex
                          Fairway Wood - TITLEIST 906F2, 3-Wood
                          Hybrid - ADAMS Idea Pro Black 9031, 3/20
                          Irons - PING WRX S55, 4-Iron to PW, XX flex
                          Wedges - VOKEY WedgeWorks, CC-TVD 54, 58
                          Putter - PING WRX TR Shea H, UST Freq. Filtered
                          Bag & Cart - SM C-130 and CLICGEAR 3.0
                          Golf Ball - SRIXON Tour Z-STAR XV

Comment

Originally posted by Leftygolfer30 View Post
                            Nope.
                            I don't want any residue from tire cleaner on my grips.
                            5 cents worth of dish soap works good enough for me.
                            LG the residue washes off with water, which the other users have already learned.

What do you think grips and tires are made of? Could it be rubber as its core compound

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
                              I TourIQ ....
                              I finally went out and got some Simonize Tire Cleaner (with Bleche-White) and did my grips.
                              I did all my clubs, which have a variety of grips.

I have mostly NDMC, and this worked perfectly on them. I went around each grip about 3 times with the scrub brush, and with each pass I could feel the brush being grabbed by the grip more. After rinsing and drying, they are now tacky as new.

I had equal success on my old Nike slingbacks.

Another thing I learned is that $9.99 buys you enough Simonize to do about 1500 grips. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all that - I'm not interested in polishing my tires.... I thought about having a big TGN grip cleaning party, but my wife said it would be too tacky...
                              Thanks for the testimonial. I am glad you have a lifetime supply for $10.

I tried cleaning a 12 year old Scotty Cameron TeI3 grip and it never did return its tackenss but the cord did clean up.

Maybe LF30 can host our TGN grip cleaning party so we can compare Simonize Tire Cleaner (with Bleche-White) vs. 5 cents of dish soap

Comment

Having trouble finding this stuff at Crappy tire?

Non in Oakville- Dundas/Traf or Part Source on Speers?

Part Source told me they are not longer going to carry Simonz

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X