Osprey Valley

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Osprey Valley

Originally posted by Osprey Valley Golf View Post
    Hi ShootaMcgavin. It has been an interesting year, to be sure. With the long drought followed by some intensive rainstorms, the turf depatment has been kept on their toes this season.

I shared your observations with the Superintendents, Scott Brook (Heathlands) and Dave Hunter (Hoot snd Toot). Can you give me a little more information (dates and courses) to pass on to them?
    one of the many reason everyone who plays there loves it...

i'm heading up tomorrow for a round (or two). can't wait
    What's in the Sunmountain 4.5?

10.5 M2 with Speeder 77 Stiff 3 wood shaft
    TM Rescue 17*
    TM M2 4-AW
    TM RAC 52/56 CG15 60
    Odyssey 2 Ball with Superstroke Fatso

Comment

Originally posted by ShootaMcgavin View Post
      I played Osprey last weekend. This is the second time I played the courses this year. The courses were in fantastic shape on both occasions. However, I thought the greens were running rather slow compared to what I have experienced there in the past. I thought when I played it back in July maybe the greens weren't mowed that day? But last weekend the greens were the same pace.

Did they slow the greens down on purpose this year? Maybe they are cutting them higher due to lack of rain? Any thoughts from anyone else?
      Having played a good number of ClubLink courses this summer, the greens at Osprey Valley are a pleasure to play because they are so smooth. I have found that some non-Osprey courses are keeping their greens short despite the lack of rain, and there are some nearly-bare spots as a result. So, if Osprey Valley wants to keep their greens a little on the slower side in order to accommodate the weather, that's fine with me.

Comment

That's a big part of it, Benz. The extreme weather this season has brought some challenges. Plant health always comes first. This is not only for the obvious reason of keeping the turf alive, but it also does impact playability.

During the hot, dry weather, Dave and Scott elected to keep the greens a little longer to take stress off the plants. The goal was not to make the greens a little slower, though that is a byproduct. Rather, it allows us to keep our high standards of turf quality and the trueness of the greens. Also, it keeps green speed consistent. Fast greens are desirable, but having greens that are healthy, true, and consistent is ultimately more important to having a good golfing experience.

The other potential contributing factor (more likely last weekend) could be if you played soon after a heavy rain or even an irrigation cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by ace in the hazard View Post

Looking forward to it, Ace! It's shaping up to be another beautiful week.

Comment

Originally posted by ace in the hazard View Post

Hmmm.... thinking of the same thing.

Not sure if my newly gout-infested toe will hold up for more than 18 though.

I'll be the older mature guy in the straw hat....
            "Confusion" will be my epitaph
            ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
              Hmmm.... thinking of the same thing.

Not sure if my newly gout-infested toe will hold up for more than 18 though.

I'll be the older mature guy in the straw hat....
              Ouch! Hope that isn't as painful as it sounds.

Comment

That's a big part of it, Benz. The extreme weather this season has brought some challenges. Plant health always comes first. This is not only for the obvious reason of keeping the turf alive, but it also does impact playability.

During the hot, dry weather, Dave and Scott elected to keep the greens a little longer to take stress off the plants. The goal was not to make the greens a little slower, though that is a byproduct. Rather, it allows us to keep our high standards of turf quality and the trueness of the greens. Also, it keeps green speed consistent. Fast greens are desirable, but having greens that are healthy, true, and consistent is ultimately more important to having a good golfing experience.

The other potential contributing factor (more likely last weekend) could be if you played soon after a heavy rain or even an irrigation cycle.
                I asked the Pro at my club why our greens were a little slower this year (like Osprey) and he told me our Greens Superintendent did the same thing.

Comment

Ouch! Hope that isn't as painful as it sounds.
                  It is. Thank you for your concern....

Two extra-strength Naproxen and it's good enough to walk 18 carrying.

Anyway, just thought I'd post my perceptions from today:

Arrived late, i.e. after noon. Hoot was closed. Played Heathlands which started on a bit of a fescue nightmare, but luckily found all 3 balls in 1.

Birdied 2

An up and down round with a lot of pars and a few triples. Conditions were excellent, greens ran very pure and I made a lot of putts.

The main reason for posting though, was to brag about my breakthrough on 17. Turf crew saw me going to the tee and both vehicles made a beeline off the fairway and out of play near the red tees. I've hit balls there before, but I focussed on not doing that and hit a great tee shot, followed by a good 4h layup and a SW which bounced off the green into the front greenside bunker. A bad lie on the downhill, not a lot of green to work with and water if it goes long.

The answer? The Texas Wedge. Smacked the ball with the putter up the side of the bunker, it carried over onto and through the rough, made it to the green and trickled downhill to about 5 feet. Made the putt for a rare par on my nemesis hole.

All in all, the turf crews there are doing a great job, as usual.

"It's worth the drive to Alton"...
                  "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                  ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
                    "It's worth the drive to Alton"...
                    We could steal that slogan, but there might be some trouble

Glad to hear it was an enjoyable day!

Comment

Are there any particular days/events that Osprey Valley speeds up the greens significantly?

Comment

Originally posted by Toughpar3 View Post
                        Are there any particular days/events that Osprey Valley speeds up the greens significantly?
                        No, there are no specific adjustments like that, ie. for particular days or events. The goal is to keep them in the best possible condition at all times.

One thing to note, though, is that our fall aerification schedule is coming up. When one course is undergoing the process, you may want to opt to play one of the others. The 2016 schedule:

Toot - September 12th-13th
                        Hoot - September 19th-20th
                        Heathlands - September 26th-27th

Comment

Thanks for the heads up OVG! Quick question i'm looking to play this Friday. Are there any tournaments scheduled for Friday and will all 3 courses be open?

Thanks!
                          WITB
                          Driver: Titleist 913 D2 Graphite Design Tour AD BB 6S
                          Irons: Epon 302 Nippon Shaft 1050GH
                          Wedges: Mizuno MP T11 52,56,60 DG Spinner
                          Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

Played the Toot last week. Have to say that it was in amazing shape for the current drought conditions. One of my fav places to smack the ball around. Would you guys mind if I took the old foundations on the Heathlands and built my weekend place there? No one would notice.

Comment

Going to play Hoot on Sep 17! First timer and very excited!

Wondering if there is any tournament to be aware of? And thanks for the aerification schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by ronsil View Post
                                Thanks for the heads up OVG! Quick question i'm looking to play this Friday. Are there any tournaments scheduled for Friday and will all 3 courses be open?

Thanks!
                                All three courses will be open and there are are no tournaments booked at the moment.

Originally posted by bobobs View Post
                                Played the Toot last week. Have to say that it was in amazing shape for the current drought conditions. One of my fav places to smack the ball around. Would you guys mind if I took the old foundations on the Heathlands and built my weekend place there? No one would notice.
                                That might not work with the owners' plans, but there are a few other things on the drawing table that you might like

And thanks for the kinds words. The Turf Department has been hard at work keeping things as ship shape as possible given the extreme conditions this summer. Fortunately, we've had a bit more rain and milder temperatures lately.

Originally posted by dalmanca View Post
                                Going to play Hoot on Sep 17! First timer and very excited!

Wondering if there is any tournament to be aware of? And thanks for the aerification schedule.
                                It's not a tournament per se, but there is a group of 24 with a modified shotgun start on Hoot at 8am. And have fun! Please share your thoughts - we'd love to hear them.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X