Rumoured Costco Kirkland Signature 4-piece balls

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rumoured Costco Kirkland Signature 4-piece balls

Originally posted by sikoram View Post
    I will be at the Costco in Palm Desert in 3 weeks to buy a shopping cart full of wine. Might as well pick up a couple dozen.
    Not sure they are available in the stores (maybe only select locations) yet vs just online. I live in Los Angeles county and none on the shelves in the 2 locations I frequent. Order them online and ship them to where you will be staying.

Comment

Originally posted by golfunderpar18 View Post
      Not sure they are available in the stores (maybe only select locations) yet vs just online. I live in Los Angeles county and none on the shelves in the 2 locations I frequent. Order them online and ship them to where you will be staying.
      Good advice. That's how I got some too.

Oh and don't panic if you don't get a shipment notice. I don't think I ever did get one but they showed up as promised when I placed the order. Think it was 5 days from order to delivery.

Comment

Just ordered a couple dozen to be shipped to South Carolina where I am staying. Will provide a review when I start playing them in a few days..

Comment

Originally posted by pix40 View Post
          this is going to change gol ball pricing
          Somehow I doubt that. People will always gravitate to what professional athletes play for a living in the sport(s) they love most and will continue to do so at whatever the prices are. GolfWRX and MyGolfSpy can do all the testing they want, the end result will be a small % of recreational golfers who will actually make the switch based on value alone; the balance will continue to use Pro V's as it's all about what they are used to playing and ultimately, what's displayed on the tee. I can't recall the last time I played with another golfer who's used anything but a well-known premium ball--then again, we haven't been faced with a decision like this as consumers.

If we see a PGA Tour player(s) putting this Kirkland ball into tournament play, that might change things.

Comment

Originally posted by cgasucks View Post
            If the manufacturer in South Korea gets bought and shut down, there will be another one that will take its place. I don't think its gonna happen. Titleist and other big guys might have to come down on their prices if the Costco balls becomes a real big problem for them.
            Do you all really think this will happen? There were inexpensive balls for sale before these Kirklands. There are lots of ball recycle companies as well.

Comment

Originally posted by racmbs View Post
              I can't recall the last time I played with another golfer who's used anything but a well-known premium ball
              If it's white and round, I'll try it...especially this time of year. A $4 ball gets lost in the leaves just as easily as a Noodle.

Comment

Somehow I doubt that. People will always gravitate to what professional athletes play for a living in the sport(s) they love most and will continue to do so at whatever the prices are. GolfWRX and MyGolfSpy can do all the testing they want, the end result will be a small % of recreational golfers who will actually make the switch based on value alone; the balance will continue to use Pro V's as it's all about what they are used to playing and ultimately, what's displayed on the tee. I can't recall the last time I played with another golfer who's used anything but a well-known premium ball--then again, we haven't been faced with a decision like this as consumers.

If we see a PGA Tour player(s) putting this Kirkland ball into tournament play, that might change things.
                but really, most golfers are hacks to begin with. what's the stat? 90% can't break 100. While a lot on this board are better than that, the average golfer isn't. I also think costco is one retailer with the reach, especially in the US. I'm sure you play with a lot of good golfers but good golfers are in the (significant) minority.
                MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post
                  but really, most golfers are hacks to begin with. what's the stat? 90% can't break 100. While a lot on this board are better than that, the average golfer isn't. I also think costco is one retailer with the reach, especially in the US. I'm sure you play with a lot of good golfers but good golfers are in the (significant) minority.
                  Agreed - this board is not representative of the average or majority of golfers. I see and play with plenty of guys who play a less-than-premium ball. Even at fancy clubs, because the players follow sauerkraut's thinking: A $4 ball gets lost just as easily. And they're not thinking of leaves, it's the woods and water that take them away.

I also don't know of anyone who has bought clubs (or any other equipment or apparel) because their favourite pro uses it. I know that that is the thinking behind the (very expensive!) sponsoring of pros, but I don't know anyone it's worked on. If it was really effective, Nike would still be making clubs. Who doesn't like Tiger, Rory, Jason Day, Koepka, Wie, Jhonny Vegas, Molinari, Watney...? Maybe I and my friends are just too old to be influenced that way.

When and if the costco balls show up here I'll definitely give them a try. I play a premium ball (Z-Star) but only because I'm fooling myself that they help my game, and because they can be found at 1/2 price now and then, unlike Pro-Vs.
                  Last edited by Ignatius Reilly; Nov 6, 2016, 12:30 PM.
                  "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                  ...Iggy

Comment

I play with all skill levels and ball of choice has little to do with that. Almost all I see and play with use premium balls because it's what the pros play--that tune hasn't changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
                      Agreed - this board is not representative of the average or majority of golfers. I see and play with plenty of guys who play a less-than-premium ball. Even at fancy clubs, because the players follow sauerkraut's thinking: A $4 ball gets lost just as easily. And they're not thinking of leaves, it's the woods and water that take them away.

I also don't know of anyone who has bought clubs (or any other equipment or apparel) because they're favourite pro uses it. I know that that is the thinking behind the (very expensive!) sponsoring of pros, but I don't know anyone it's worked on. If it was really effective, Nike would still be making clubs. Who doesn't like Tiger, Rory, Jason Day, Koepka, Wie, Jhonny Vegas, Molinari, Watney...? Maybe I and my friends are just too old to be influenced that way.

When and if the costco balls show up here I'll definitely give them a try. I play a premium ball (Z-Star) but only because I'm fooling myself that they help my game, and because they can be found at 1/2 price now and then, unlike Pro-Vs.
                      You don't know of any recreational golfers who've purchased hard and soft goods based on a player? I'm willing to bet that the clubs, clothing and shoes you wear to play the game were somewhat influenced by playing professionals on tour. If not, then you are in a very small minority.

Comment

I play with all skill levels and ball of choice has little to do with that. Almost all I see and play with use premium balls because it's what the pros play--that tune hasn't changed.
                        I have the exact opposite experience. No one i play with plays prov1's and most play either recycled balls or what they can get on sale and a great price.
                        MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

You don't know of any recreational golfers who've purchased hard and soft goods based on a player? I'm willing to bet that the clubs, clothing and shoes you wear to play the game were somewhat influenced by playing professionals on tour. If not, then you are in a very small minority.
                          I thought about it some more and.... nope, no one.

In fact, I think they'd be embarrassed to do it. My friends aren't very stylish...
                          "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                          ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Lob wedge View Post
                            Do you all really think this will happen? There were inexpensive balls for sale before these Kirklands. There are lots of ball recycle companies as well.
                            I am not so sure. I see a number of guys using Snell's and I don't think they are being sold at much of a discount to Pro v 1's. These balls are a huge discount to tour balls (less than half) and by all reviews perform as well (at least for amateurs). No pro will switch since they are not going to get paid by Costco to use them. But I think these balls will do quite well if they perform as advertised.

I wouldnt be too worried if I was Titleist or TM. Might be a bit worried if I was Bridgestone or Srixon or Snell or those German guys (name escapes me at the moment) we were talking about a while back.

Comment

I have the exact opposite experience. No one i play with plays prov1's and most play either recycled balls or what they can get on sale and a great price.
                              You'd be zero fun to play with then, wouldn't be worth my time trying to find anything less than a premium ball in the bushes.

All kidding aside, players like you and your buddies are in small company. Yes there are many I know at my course that play less expensive/recycled balls as they just don't care, but if we polled every single player the majority would be premium balls. I think having Costco bring a premium ball into the market at a reasonable price just shows that it can be done, and is a good thing for the consumer, but Titleist will still have their loyal followers continue to buy and that won't change their position in the industry. Heck I remember some 15 years ago when people said Scotty Cameron would be a flash in the pan one the hype died down...that really panned out.

It's just like golf clubs--many I know purchase used as they aren't willing to play top dollar for new equipment, but I don't know of any that are using clubs like Goliath Pro Select, even if they "could" perform to the same level.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
                                I thought about it some more and.... nope, no one.

In fact, I think they'd be embarrassed to do it. My friends aren't very stylish...
                                So what clubs do you play and why did you buy them? You can't tell me you bought them just because you tried your buddies and liked it--that I won't buy into. Every golfer is influenced with their equipment and clothing purchases to some degree by tour validation; saying otherwise is just lying to yourself.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X