Future Sites of the RBC Open

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Future Sites of the RBC Open

Originally posted by davepratt View Post
    I just talked to a well connected Beacon member who thinks it's very close between them and Coppinwood. Someone mentioned logistics issues but don't many of them billet with families? If so, the Empire homes at Wyndance would be ideal.
    actually no. very few players and caddies billet. I have been a driver, this year at Glen Abby, Last year at Hamilton and in 2010 at St George and very few actually stay with families... some do dont get my wrong but a large majority of players, caddies and officials stay in hotels. Caddies usually stay at whatever the cheapest place was on hotwire, high end players usually stay at the best hotel and the average PGA player usually stays at the hilton or something half decent.
    Driver - Taylormade SIM MAX 9.0 Diamana S
    3W - Taylormade M4
    5 wood - Callaway X Hot
    4 Hybrid - Taylormade R15
    Irons - Taylormade 2017 P790 5-PW
    Wedge - 52 Raw Jaws/56 MD 2 tour grind
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

Originally posted by Pingnut View Post
      I'm sure it will look good on TV.. no chance I'm driving out to Uxbridge to watch though
      it's not that far
      Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by Habcentric View Post
        I like when it's at the Abbey personally. Closest venue for me. Easy to get to. Grounds are spectator friendly etc. All selfish reasons of course.
        +1 While St George's and Hamilton were nicer looking courses they are terrible spectator courses IMO. St George's was the worst with the entrance/exit on the end of the course and Ridgevalley crescent splitting the 9's.

Abbey is perfect for quick access to all areas of the course and tons of room for everyone.
        Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Comment

Having played Beacon last year, I would love to see the pros on that course. Too bad about the 18th though, not really a great closing hole, IMHO.

Comment

For those of you who guessed Coppinwood, I believe you may be right as they are undertaking a major makeover this winter to make their set up more 'open friendly'. Only one reason to do that.....!

BTW, I was a guest at their regular Men's Night a couple of weeks ago and they had [wait for it] 130 players registered to play. Apparently, that was a record turnout but their average is around 90. Coppinwood rocks......!

Comment

Originally posted by P25 View Post
              If they're going to go all the way to Uxbridge, they'll go to Coppinwood guaranteed.
              I agree with Coppinwood as being a great test for the pros - great course & lots of spectator room. I'm just not sure about the route in and out. Concession 4?? They'd have to have alternate accesses.

Comment

Originally posted by Hotdogger View Post
                I agree with Coppinwood as being a great test for the pros - great course & lots of spectator room. I'm just not sure about the route in and out. Concession 4?? They'd have to have alternate accesses.
                Living in Uxbridge - I'd rent out my house to a nice family man like Hunter Mahan for the Cdn Open

Comment

Originally posted by aragon View Post
                  Having played Beacon last year, I would love to see the pros on that course. Too bad about the 18th though, not really a great closing hole, IMHO.

I would suggest the same applies for Coppinwood. Maybe they would play the ninth as 18, plus there is not much room around the 18th green for spectator bleachers.
                  In my Taylormade TMX Stand-bag:
                  Mizuno JPX 825 Pro DG R300 4 - PW
                  Scratch Golf 1018 50 & 56 SS;
                  Taylormade 58 degree lob wedge
                  Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback
                  Cobra S3 5w
                  TaylorMade R11 3w
                  TaylorMade R11 Driver

Comment

Beacon will win on the criteria list: course design, history, membership, player access and accomodations, and spectator access. Coppinwood is an outstanding Fazio course but an access nightmare. With conversion to Open mode at Beacon no chance for 2015 more like 2016. Played them both and will be there all week regardless of final selection.

Comment

Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post
                      Magna?
                      The pros would eat it alive........!
                      If St. Andrews is the home of golf, Askernish is it's soul......!

Comment

If and when at Coppinwood,

A. Logistics might not be quite as bad as you think. My guess is that they pay off some farmers for parking and bus areas, and that people will be shuttled close to the course.

B. I expect that it will be a Par 70. For example, I could see 6 and 13 as par 4s.

C. I really, really, really hope that they greatly narrow the fairways a la Merion. Otherwise, in the absence of trees, I am afraid to say that the course will take a punishing (in scoring and reputation), no matter how fast they have the greens running. These guys are that good.

D. The fans will destroy the fescue for the year.

E. It will be a major pain for the members. I hope that the $$ received by the club is highly significant (i.e. not just $500K) to offset the inconvenience and damage.

Comment

Originally posted by davepratt View Post
                          I just talked to a well connected Beacon member who thinks it's very close between them and Coppinwood. Someone mentioned logistics issues but don't many of them billet with families? If so, the Empire homes at Wyndance would be ideal.

Maybe before the tour purses became more money than you earn in your lifetime??

Comment

Originally posted by richiehack View Post
                            Maybe before the tour purses became more money than you earn in your lifetime??
                            I know for a fact that many do as I have friends who have put them up. Many pros would rather have the peace and quiet environment than the hustle and bustle of hotel living. How do you know how much I earn?
                            Last edited by davepratt; Oct 15, 2013, 06:49 AM.

Comment

I have shuttled more than a few pros and family to private homes doing transportation.

Comment

Had a friend in Unionville billet one of the players (actually they rented his entire house) when the Open was held at Angus.

Coppinwood is entirely feasible. A better layout and test than Angus. If Kevin was able to get them to Angus, he certainly can get them to Coppinwood.

As for parking, lots of fields available.

Fairways can easily be narrowed simply by changing the blade heights when they cut. Just create a second cut of rough.

Hotels may be a problem. Might have to stay in Markham or Newmarket. Traffic may also be a problem due to the limited number of access routes. However neither of these are insurmountable obstacles.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X