Collapse

Future Sites of the RBC Open

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Future Sites of the RBC Open

I know Whistle Bear has sights on a PGA event in the future, after they rework things.

Though it almost made me spit my coffee on my computer screen, it turns out the owners of Whistle Bear, a private facility near Cambridge, Ont. are serious about trying to bring a big event to their course. This from owner Emilo Cabral: “They (PGA Tour) like the facility, they like the location, everything is

The Manulife classic that has been a hit locally, making Waterloo region even friendlier to a PGA event? maybe?

KPMG has an office in Waterloo, so if they liked the idea of an event here, they have got the money to wine and dine PGA folk all day.

If they rework the facility around the idea of a PGA tour event, they could very well be the only real option. but it could also backfire on them..

however, the owners of Whistle Bear (landmark group) say they are " Canada’s leading group of Restaurant and Special Event facilities."

-----------------

I am a newbie, so i see whistle bear as a mid-high end course that could very well be capable of hosting such an event... am i wrong nuts?

Comment

Originally posted by davepratt View Post
      I know for a fact that many do as I have friends who have put them up. Many pros would rather have the peace and quiet environment than the hustle and bustle of hotel living. How do you know how much I earn?

My God man, do you take everything so literally?? The comment was just a generalization that tour purses are now astronomically high. It wasn't meant as a comment to your earnings for which I couldn't care less about!!

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
        Had a friend in Unionville billet one of the players (actually they rented his entire house) when the Open was held at Angus.

Coppinwood is entirely feasible. A better layout and test than Angus. If Kevin was able to get them to Angus, he certainly can get them to Coppinwood.

As for parking, lots of fields available.

Fairways can easily be narrowed simply by changing the blade heights when they cut. Just create a second cut of rough.

Hotels may be a problem. Might have to stay in Markham or Newmarket. Traffic may also be a problem due to the limited number of access routes. However neither of these are insurmountable obstacles.
        I don't consider renting someone's entire house for the week 'billeting'...

Comment

Billet: "A place where troops are lodged, usually with civilians". (Oxford)

Comment

I was going to start a new thread on this topic, but came across this one from a few years ago. Interesting to see people's thoughts and what has materialized over 3-4 years since.

I also came across this recent article on the topic.

Golf Canada has a big problem: Where can it reliably take the RBC Canadian Open year after year if and when ClubLink bulldozes Glen Abbey?

"With its sponsorship of the tournament extended through 2023, RBC has made it clear to Golf Canada that it wants a detailed venue strategy for the Canadian Open whether it involves Glen Abbey or not. Mary DePaoli, chief brand officer for RBC, said the bank has approved returning to Glen Abbey in 2018 if necessary, but that it would like Golf Canada to investigate other options."
            What's in the bag?
            TM M2
            Cobra F6 fairway woods and irons
            PING Sigma G Putter
            Les Grossman: "I'm talking G5. Playa, playa"

Comment

Originally posted by Giller31 View Post
              I was going to start a new thread on this topic, but came across this one from a few years ago.
              Thank you.

However, if you have any questions about fences, wedding arrangements or Devil's Pulpit, please feel free to start new threads for each one.

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post
                Thank you.

However, if you have any questions about fences, wedding arrangements or Devil's Pulpit, please feel free to start new threads for each one.
                Huh??? Is that supposed to be code for something?
                What's in the bag?
                TM M2
                PING Sigma G Putter

Comment

Originally posted by Giller31 View Post
                  Huh??? Is that supposed to be code for something?
                  He's saying that good on you for digging up an old thread rather than starting a new one like most do. So many threads here about the exact same thing due to laziness.

Comment

Ahh, gotcha! Yeah I figured it was covered somewhere. Now that we're here in 2017 and they haven't announced where the Open will be in 2018, it'll be interesting to see whether it stays here in the GTA or not.
                    What's in the bag?
                    TM M2
                    PING Sigma G Putter

Comment

Its great for RBC to say move it but is RBC coughing up any more money? I get they have paid a lot but the Canadian open actually loses money when the open is not held at Glen Abby. Logistics/Transportation/facilities/permits etc are all added costs. The GTA also has the largest area to draw volunteers for and with the decline in golf its no longer 100% as soon as registration opens every year like it once was.
                      Driver - Taylormade SIM MAX 9.0 Diamana S
                      3W - Taylormade M4
                      5 wood - Callaway X Hot
                      4 Hybrid - Taylormade R15
                      Irons - Taylormade 2017 P790 5-PW
                      Wedge - 52 Raw Jaws/56 MD 2 tour grind
                      Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

Hosting a major sporting event is a bit of a tough game. The crowd draws as rank are 1. PGA Tour, 2. Champions Tour 3. LPGA Tour. Which makes no sense to me. But last year in Calgary, we had the LPGA at Priddis and the following week, the Champions Tour at my home course. The Champions Tour pro-am teams earned more dough and the daily crowd draw was higher as well.

Both courses are great for hosting a professional golf event. Shaughnessy had the attributes as well. Room around holes for crowd movement, viewing stands/vendor space, and sight lines along holes. The hard part is organizing ingress/egress. Canyon had large parking lots within a short shuttle ride. Priddis had lots of parking space remotely, but a 15 minute school bus ride away.

While the Canadian Open might lose money, the courses should be net positive. There is a course rental fee, share of merch, and depending on how the specifics work, some F&B.

The new Michelson designed course in the Calgary area has been designed to host a Canadian Open. It is my contention that the ball has taken a number of solid prospect courses out of contention. Back when the premium ball was balata, many of the older designs were in the running. Now with 325 yards plus off the tee a probability, many gem designs are out of contention.

A bit of a thread jack, but worth some consideration as part of a "what if" thread..
                        Ping G430 9*, Ping Tour Chrome 65g Reg flex
                        Ping G430 Max 3w and 5w, 75g Ping Tour Chrome Reg flex
                        Ping G430 Max 22* Hybrid 85g Ping tour Max Reg flex
                        TM P790 irons, 5-AW, DG R300U 105gm
                        Ping Glide 54/12 and 58/08 wedges
                        Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 33”​

Comment

Calgary is not getting the Canadian Open. The thing that makes this tournament a success is the names in the field. PGA stars are not going to Calgary. Golf fans across Canada aren't traveling to Calgary.

"Built for the ______ Open" is a phrase commonly used to sell memberships. It means nothing.

Renovations to one of the previous sites in the GTA would be my guess if Glen Abbey is out of the rotation.

Comment

Originally posted by RutgersKev View Post
                            Calgary is not getting the Canadian Open. The thing that makes this tournament a success is the names in the field. PGA stars are not going to Calgary. Golf fans across Canada aren't traveling to Calgary.

"Built for the ______ Open" is a phrase commonly used to sell memberships. It means nothing.

Renovations to one of the previous sites in the GTA would be my guess if Glen Abbey is out of the rotation.
                            My guess is once Abby is gone... the main location is going to be where they move Golf Canada.
                            Driver - Taylormade SIM MAX 9.0 Diamana S
                            3W - Taylormade M4
                            5 wood - Callaway X Hot
                            4 Hybrid - Taylormade R15
                            Irons - Taylormade 2017 P790 5-PW
                            Wedge - 52 Raw Jaws/56 MD 2 tour grind
                            Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

When Golf Canada sold the Abbey to Clublink, why did they not use part of the proceeds to purchase a parcel and land and start to develop a new "Open capable' course? Or purchase an existing course and make it 'Open friendly'?

Surely Clublink would have agreed to swap one of their existing courses in Southern Ontario and pay less money for the Abbey?

The Open appears to have been for many years (read R.T.'s recent article' a major source of income for Golf Canada. However it is now not a guaranteed money maker and the amount of revenue fluctuates, depending on the location and the 'name' participants in the field.

Surely there is a good course available in Southern Ontario that could be purchased and converted or suitable land available. Anywhere in the Golden Horseshoe should be adequate. Let Carrick and McBroom co-operate or bid for the design rights.

Comment

Originally posted by RutgersKev View Post

What previous site would they renovate? Most of them are private clubs with limited space. Toronto, Rosedale, Hamilton? St. Georges? Scarborough, Mississauga, Thornhill?

I just don't see it. Angus Glen is the only public course that might be interested in partnering and has the space. And it's hardly a "home run" in terms of a great course(s).

Maybe they should do like the US Open and just move it around again. Erin Hills, just outside of Milwaukee Wisconsin doesn't sound like a bigger draw than a course in Calgary, IMO. The lack of big names that play it has a lot more to do with scheduling than location. As far as travelling there goes, everywhere is just a few hours away by jet.
                                "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                                ...Iggy

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X