/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Men and women golfers - what do we want?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Men and women golfers - what do we want?

Originally posted by MelanieMac View Post
    Wow, some pretty spirited replies to my little list - who would have thought wine would generate so much conversation. I think the bottom line is that golf means something different for all of us.

As long as the pace of play is maintained and everyone practices good golf etiquette, everyone can enjoy their own game - regardless of whether they agree on the small points!
    Mel,

Don't let a few dumba$$es get to you . Welcome to TGN .

There are most certainly differences in what the two sexes would prefer a golf course to offer. With the game suffering , it might be wise for them to start considering different ideas to attract more women.

For most, golf is not about the score but enjoying the time with friends/family outside and a nice walk/ride through nature. Some like a beer, some like a cigar, some a joint, some like sunflower seeds. Personal choice. Why not wine?
    I golf a fair bit in Arizona and they mix up drinks, Margueitas especially.
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Wow, some pretty spirited replies to my little list - who would have thought wine would generate so much conversation. I think the bottom line is that golf means something different for all of us.

As long as the pace of play is maintained and everyone practices good golf etiquette, everyone can enjoy their own game - regardless of whether they agree on the small points!
      Hi Melanie! If you ever want to pair up with hubby and I just give me a shout. I won't be into the wine until the clubhouse....it's more likely to be a Guinness at that....but it would be nice to have a game.

I'm surprised at a few of the comments on here but I suppose everyone has a different opinion. I've been behind/with women who are just out for a hen party but I've also been paired with, or behind groups of men who were about the same. In both cases I just played my own game and participated in the talk as necessary. As for the forced carry, I really haven't run into many situations where I didn't feel I could make the carry. I think course designers take it into consideration that most women don't hit as far as LPGA players.

I hope you join us at a few TGN events this season....maybe you can put some of these guys in their place.
      In the Titleist Canada stand bag.....

Titleist 915 D3, 10.5
      Titleist 909 F2 15.5*
      Titleist 910 F2 19*
      Titleist 913H 24*
      Titleist 712 AP1 5-GW
      Vokey SM6 52* (bent to 53*)
      Vokey SM6 58*
      SC Studio Stainless Newport

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
        I think you forgot the yoga mats at the turn...
        Sorry, it was late after spending long hours closing off quarter end for the firm.

I knew I'd forgotten something.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdntac View Post
          It's not about lowest score. Couldn't care less than that. I just don't ever want to see a wine list being presented to me when the F&B cart pulls up. Beer slows things up enough. Cork sniffing is gonna make it even worse.

Want wine? Wait for the clubhouse. If it's not in a glass bottle ala a Motts Caesers (or whomever make them) or a beer can they shouldn't be offered on the course.

well there you go!!! You just thought of a great idea!!! 4 and 6 oz mini wine bottles...you will make a fortune!
          Don't Drink & DRive...Don't Even Putt

Comment

Originally posted by caddishack View Post
            well there you go!!! You just thought of a great idea!!! 4 and 6 oz mini wine bottles...you will make a fortune!
            Yes, because women aren't picky enough as it is, you'll have to offer every brand imaginable to satify how they feel that day.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwelfgulfer View Post
              Yes, because women aren't picky enough as it is, you'll have to offer every brand imaginable to satify how they feel that day.
              nah, just get two of the finest boxes of wine, strap em to the cart and you're golden! "we have two lovely choices today, which would you like? left or right? " lol

wine on the course probably would be a good idea, i may suggest it to my comitee. although food and bev doesn't like their toes to get stepped on.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdntac View Post
                It's not about lowest score. Couldn't care less than that. I just don't ever want to see a wine list being presented to me when the F&B cart pulls up. Beer slows things up enough. Cork sniffing is gonna make it even worse.

Want wine? Wait for the clubhouse. If it's not in a glass bottle ala a Motts Caesers (or whomever make them) or a beer can they shouldn't be offered on the course.
                I have to agree. It takes long enough for those who know what they want to ask and pay for it. Then of course you have the guys who need to hit on the cart girl. Add a "Well, what do I feel like today? Am I in more of a shiraz mood, or ....." and you could have people there for 15 minutes.

Just strikes me as one of those things that may seem like a good idea, but is nothing more than a recipe for disaster. Unless there's something about if you want wine, you can order but next group plays through.

I do agree though that front tees need to be shorter than they currently are.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluefan75 View Post
                  I do agree though that front tees need to be shorter than they currently are.
                  Play from the 200 yd marker and in then. No one is going to design a 6500+ yard course and have decks built to suite those who want 3500.

To me this is just one of those things that is accomodating too much. I understand people want to draw more out, but when 100 yard carries is something to fear, pick another sport because that isn't far at all. Golf is a sport, you can break a sweat out there pounding balls. If you don't want to put a little effort into either getting better or swinging harder, well... Golf is a hard game.

Comment

no booze before noon on course, 200+ yard forced carries from back tees, hdcp limits at the tees enforced, pace of play enforced, 15 minute intervals, water stations stocked, sensible routing, full length driving range with actual greens and pins, short game area with bunkers & greens..

that'd work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pingnut View Post
                      I don't think this thread is going the direction the op envisioned.
                      No kidding, tough bunch here.

Regardless of the sex, if a hole is too short, anyone can drop the ball at the 150 yard marker even juniors starting out.

I just want to play a decent local track, with greens which run true and not crazy tricked out, and a faster round with little waiting. I could care less about amenities like the pro shop or the clubhouse or club cleaning after the round. I'm not looking to be pampered.

Wine offer 2 choices, red or white.
                      Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
                      Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
                      Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Originally posted by MannyR View Post
                        This.
                        I've never been as embarrassed to be part of the male species as I am with the behaviour of a number of posters in this tread.

Some of the comments have been absolutely disgusting.

It would be a joy to see some of you get time outs for the way you are behaving in here. Re-read what you've posted. Then start apologizing to our new member.

Comment

Name me a course that has a hole on it with a forced carry of more than 150 yards...

... that was designed before 1960.

There aren't too many. And yet golf was extremely popular back in those days and didn't take as long to finish a round. The courses were just as challenging.

Way too often I've seen slow play issues that have been created by some of these foolishly designed holes.

Golf's participation levels are dropping. We need more juniors taking up the sport. Those kids need to be able to develop an enjoyment which often comes from gaining confidence.

But I shouldn't be surprised. The nasty comments about this comes from a forum where many of the members have no problem with a forced carry that long. The average length of their 7 irons tops 200 yards!

Comment

I stand behind what I've said, no need to re-read. You can't please everyone, and to try and accomodate everyone is silly. When getting into sub 5000 yard courses, your not going to be carrying an official handicap anyway, so who is honestly dictating where you have to tee the ball up other then you?

If wine was available in juice box form, would people want to pay $9 for it? Courses already get flamed for over charging for booze.

Clean washrooms I understand, but that clearly shouldn't be a make or break thing. Same with fully finished, furnished washrooms/lockerooms depending on the quality of the course.

Comment

Originally posted by Oakbridge View Post
                              I've never been as embarrassed to be part of the male species as I am with the behaviour of a number of posters in this tread.

Some of the comments have been absolutely disgusting.

It would be a joy to see some of you get time outs for the way you are behaving in here. Re-read what you've posted. Then start apologizing to our new member.
                              While I agree in part, she also asked "what do men want?".

The answers could have been worse...

Regarding wine on the course, it's a non-issue. Have mini-bottles of one or two red and one or two of white. Minimal choice - certainly less than the beer or gatorade options and we manage to deal with those just fine.

They don't have to be oenophile (it's pronounced "weeny-file") selections either. Just as the food choices are rarely gourmet.
                              "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                              ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Gwelfgulfer View Post
                                I stand behind what I've said, no need to re-read. You can't please everyone, and to try and accomodate everyone is silly. When getting into sub 5000 yard courses, your not going to be carrying an official handicap anyway, so who is honestly dictating where you have to tee the ball up other then you?

If wine was available in juice box form, would people want to pay $9 for it? Courses already get flamed for over charging for booze.

Clean washrooms I understand, but that clearly shouldn't be a make or break thing. Same with fully finished, furnished washrooms/lockerooms depending on the quality of the course.
                                you're obviously not a woman. The whole clean washrooms thing is a huge deal. We don't always have to sit so for the most part we don't care or go in the woods. A bunch of years ago, the Ottawa Renegades football team started putting vases with flowers in their washrooms in an attempt to attract more women and make the experience better. You wouldn't believe how well that went over with the female crowd.

As for wine, heck if they want it, why not supply it? mini bottles are great and if someone is willing to pay $9 because they want a glass of wine I don't see that any different than paying $7-$8 because someone wants a beer. To each their own. If it adds more revenue to the course and attracts more people, then isn't that a good thing?

and no one is suggesting sub 5000 yard courses, just less long forced carries, which a lot of courses do a good job at by moving the ladies tees on the other side of trouble or close enough that its not too hard.

Courses that think outside the box and provide things to attract people will go a long way to surviving in a tough market.
                                MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X