/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Notice a significant difference of pace of play with flags left in the hole?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MK7GTI View Post
    I've actually noticed that its slower. I play as a single most of the time getting paired with strangers. Always have to ask on the first green what people do. I personally still take it out for everything within 30 feet or so. I had one gentlemen go on a Bryson still scientific rant about leaving it in. He was the only one in the group who wanted it in.

I think it was in the May issue of golf digest that the science says take it out still.

Just because the rule changed people take it out? It seems strange to me. Given the option, you would think most people who have been playing for years who still take it out.
    All the studies I have seen support leaving the stick in the hole. The pin does not cause many if any misses and those shots that are hit hard and would run over the hole, when they hit the pin, the miss is much less than if there was no pin.

Just one example of several:

Dave Pelz looks at the sceince and says you'd be a fool not to putt with the flagstick in, following the USGA's rule change for 2019.
    Ping G430 9*, Ping Tour Chrome 65g Reg flex
    Ping G430 Max 3w and 5w, 75g Ping Tour Chrome Reg flex
    Ping G430 Max 22* Hybrid 85g Ping tour Max Reg flex
    TM P790 irons, 5-AW, DG R300U 105gm
    Ping Glide 54/12 and 58/08 wedges
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 33”​

Comment

We spent the winter in Arizona and started leaving the pin in on Jan.1st when the rule changed. Absolutely love it. Speeds up play and we feel that we actually make more putts with it in.
      Gone golfin' ... be back about dark-thirty.

Comment

In our round on Thursday, one of my playing partners had two 'encounters' with the flagstick. The first was when his putt from 15 feet hit the flagstick, then rebounded off the near rim of the cup, ultimately stopping 4 inches away from the hole directly opposite from where the putt started. The second was when he had a reasonably steep downhill putt that struck the flagstick and dropped into the hole. So, sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't.

My observation has been that people are more aggressive with their mid-length and short putts in their attempts to hit the flagstick. When they miss, the ball travels past the hole a little further than it probably would have prior to the rule change.

Comment

Originally posted by duffer_mcmulligan View Post

All the studies I have seen support leaving the stick in the hole. The pin does not cause many if any misses and those shots that are hit hard and would run over the hole, when they hit the pin, the miss is much less than if there was no pin.

Just one example of several:

https://www.golf.com/Instruction/201...le-change-2018
          Studies suggest that if a ball hits the pin and does not go in the golfer will blame the pin. And if a ball hits the pin and goes in his/her playing partners will blame the pin.

I no longer like the look of a hole with the pin in when putting. It just looks weird.
          Last edited by bogey5; Jun 8, 2019, 06:06 AM.

Comment

So far this season, among my playing partners, I've experienced a mix of preferences regarding whether to leave the flagstick in while putting. I have found that of those who want the flagstick taken out, it is predominantly for putts less than 15 feet in length. Further, what usually happens is that one of the group will remove the flagstick and hold it (as opposed to laying it down on the putting surface). Given this, once all putts have been holed, there is no walking around to pick up the flagstick before replacing it. This alone helps to keep things moving. So, I've got that going for me. Which, is nice.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
            X