No announcement yet.
Collapse

Moe Norman Memorabilia

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So how many here have seen Moe play tournament golf or attended a clinic?

I'm old but still not old enough to have been able to see Moe or George Knudson golf....maybe my 2 fav Cdn golfers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr22putt View Post

I'm old but still not old enough to have been able to see Moe or George Knudson golf....maybe my 2 fav Cdn golfers.
      I was lucky enough to hit balls next to him on a range in Kitchener after a high school golf tournament, he even let me hit some of his clubs , I was 16 or so at the time (1995 ) and didn’t realize how special of an opportunity it was .

Comment

Originally posted by bogeybuster View Post
        I know this post is old but thought I'd share. I have in my possession a set of Irons that belonged to Moe. Each iron has MOE on the hosel. They are Titleist and 1 of a kind .. At least I've never seen this model. Razor thin top end to allow MOE too add his lead tape .. I really think these belong in a museum..
        That is remarkable. And yes should be in a museum. I believe that if you donate them you can get them 'valued' and get a charitable tax donation.

As for watching Moe. When I decided to take up golf, after a very long layoff in the early 1990s I discovered that Moe was going to be at a nearby range. I went and watched him, then followed him as each day as he went from range/course to range/course to put on exhibitions. Just stood there and watched/listened to him for hours. Never saw him mishit a ball. Believe that he used the same tee the entire time. Just unbelievable.

Comment

I saw Moe in a clinic at a now defunct club called Turtle Creek (before it became Castlemore, on Airport Rd., in north Brampton). It was in 1976, and I had just taken up the game so I had no idea who this old, kind of funny looking guy was. But he hit so many dead straight shots, fades & draws that all ended up in the same spot. I was amazed at how he could hit so many balls to the same spot, high low, left & right. Since that day I started learning about him and followed his career.
          Last edited by 4wedges; Feb 20, 2022, 03:09 PM.

Comment

I watched Moe and Nick Weslock play together in the last round of the 1970 Ontario Open at the Cutten Club in Guelph. They each shot even par for the day. Moe had a full set of Hogans in his bag, the Bounce Sole iron model, laminated Speed Slot woods, and a Ping Anser putter. Both struck the ball impressively but putted poorly.
            In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
            Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, KuroKage 606 S
            TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
            TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
            PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
            TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
            Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
            TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post

That is remarkable. And yes should be in a museum. I believe that if you donate them you can get them 'valued' and get a charitable tax donation.

As for watching Moe. When I decided to take up golf, after a very long layoff in the early 1990s I discovered that Moe was going to be at a nearby range. I went and watched him, then followed him as each day as he went from range/course to range/course to put on exhibitions. Just stood there and watched/listened to him for hours. Never saw him mishit a ball. Believe that he used the same tee the entire time. Just unbelievable.
              I saw Moe twice, at industry/charity tournaments. As AD mentioned, Moe did use only one tee. What was truly amazing was that the tee never moved! He hit about 40 drives and the tee never moved a millimetre. Just put the next ball on the tee and hit. In my life I don’t think I have ever hit a drive where the tee didn’t move-usually winds up 5 feet away. He also explained that to hit the ball farther, you didn’t have to try and swing harder-just make a bigger turn. He told us to watch three shots. He would have the exact same tempo. First swing would drive the ball 200 yards. Second swing, a little more turn-250 yards. Third swing, full turn-300 yards. Amazing.. I feel lucky that I got to see this legend twice.

Comment

Will do Dave - Love Rockway and it's history that included Mr. Norman...
                TM Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
                TM BRNR Mini-Driver 11.5D* (Fujikura Vista Pro 55S)

TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
                TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
                TM Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
                TM My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters
                * (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride TM Pistol
                TM My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
                TM Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red)
                TM TP5 Golf Ball
                Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
                SkyCaddie SX550 GPS
                Bushnell ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

Comment

Originally posted by dmoe View Post

Ian,
                  Next time you are in the Norman Room have a look for my family name. My dads side of the family grew up golfing there and so did i when visiting my grandparents. Look around at the womens Club Championship list and the photos of the Mother/Daughter and Father/Daughter Provincial championships etc. Look for the last name Morgenroth and Crane.

Will do Dave - Love Rockway and it's history that included Mr. Norman...
                  TM Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
                  TM BRNR Mini-Driver 11.5D* (Fujikura Vista Pro 55S)

TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
                  TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
                  TM Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
                  TM My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters
                  * (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride TM Pistol
                  TM My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
                  TM Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red)
                  TM TP5 Golf Ball
                  Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
                  SkyCaddie SX550 GPS
                  Bushnell ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

Comment

Originally posted by rgk5 View Post
                    I watched Moe and Nick Weslock play together in the last round of the 1970 Ontario Open at the Cutten Club in Guelph. They each shot even par for the day. Moe had a full set of Hogans in his bag, the Bounce Sole iron model, laminated Speed Slot woods, and a Ping Anser putter. Both struck the ball impressively but putted poorly.
                    I assume you played in this tournament?
                    I was an intermediate member at Cutten...1985-86.....$600??....no initiation...$50/Q min F&B.
                    I believe the HP was Vic...yup just Googled....Victor Whibley.
                    Vic passed in 2012....he must have lived a long life....he seemed to "old" back in the mid 80's.
                    I think his wife also worked the pro shop too.

I think she was a member at Halton???....I saw Mary Ann LaPointe beating balls at the range beside me.

Comment

Glad to hear some stories of some witnessing Moe's MAGIC.

Comment

Neat.

Who manufactured the ball?....what year did you get Moe to give you an autograph.

I saw Moe in July 2014 at the LPGA event in Niagara Falls.

He signed my hat...MOE.

Passed away later in Sept.
                        RIP.
                        My dad has a ball signed by him when he met him at Rockway way back when. Also signed MOE.
                        MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

I assume you played in this tournament?
                          I was an intermediate member at Cutten...1985-86.....$600??....no initiation...$50/Q min F&B.
                          I believe the HP was Vic...yup just Googled....Victor Whibley.
                          Vic passed in 2012....he must have lived a long life....he seemed to "old" back in the mid 80's.
                          I think his wife also worked the pro shop too.

I think she was a member at Halton???....I saw Mary Ann LaPointe beating balls at the range beside me.
                          No, I did not play in that event but did play in the Canadian Amateur at Summit in 1973. I used to swap clubs with his brother Frank when he was the HP at Scarborough.
                          In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
                          Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, KuroKage 606 S
                          TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                          TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
                          PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
                          TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
                          Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
                          TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

I had the opportunity to watch Moe play in the CPGA Championship in Calgary in the mid '70's. He would hit his shot, then walk outside the ropes until it was his turn to play, then inside the ropes, play, and repeat. His shots were very good!. Then I was fortunate to play with him in the pro-am round in the BC Open in 1979. We were playing with a prominent junior from the home club. On the 14th hole, a 125 yard par 3, the junior pulled his tee shot into the front left bunker. Moe immediately said, "You can't do that! You can't do that!" He stepped up and purposely hit the same shot as the junior, ending up about two feet from the junior's ball in the bunker. He went on to explain how not to "do that". Very impressive and memorable!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                            X