/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

SO HOW ARE WE ALL FEELING AFTER A LONG SEASON??

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tarrantian View Post

You raised equipment Fore Warned , and I'm wondering how those who are getting older are adjusting their set ups? I've made some recent changes to my bag, more forgiving irons, flexible shafts, etc. as I've noticed a degradation to my distances...

Risky as I hit more fairways than ever this year, and my GIR was also a personal best. But like most, I'll do anything for a few more yards!!
    Well...switched to graphite shafts a few years ago, which resolved a tennis elbow issue.

Tried senior shafts, but was advised to stay with regular for now.

Traded out my 13 year old driver for a new one this year and gained good distance off the tee (but nowhere near the 300 yard mark as some here).

But, distances are down overall, and am having to re-calibrate my distance calculations - I am not hitting the numbers I have been accustomed to and ending up short on some shots. Still not bad with wedges, but mid-irons kind of need moving up one club.

It is not the equipment so much as the body, it just does not do everything I want it to do, or what I was accustomed to. Some days can be very stiff and I have taken Aleve prior to a game from time to time.

As discussed in another thread, I am working on a swing which has a less fulsome shoulder turn.

Taking a gimmie can be a way of also avoiding that extra stretch to the bottom of the cup.

This year was a bit of a turning point. The degree of difference from previous years felt more noticeable.

But...I am still walking. The day I have to give that up will be a sad day.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Posted round 222 today, all walking. Feeling good for 72 but do stretching and light weight exercises every day to maintain hitting distance and body flexibility. It’s been a good year of golf.

Comment

I'm 77, played 65 rounds this year, mostly riding because I had foot surgery last November, but was walking at least 9 holes in the last few months of the season. Enjoy walking more than riding; I find riding anti-social. Managed to shoot my age 5-6 times from our whites (6350 yards).
        As others have noted, loss of distance continues! Switched to graphite a couple years ago and it helped a bit, but didn't stop the annual loss! We have a par 4 that crosses water near the green, slightly downhill second shot. Used to hit a 9-PW from the 129 yard sprinkler, now it's a 7 iron at best.
        Planning on doing some treadmill walking this winter, shovel some snow, some stretching and light weights to get ready for next season. Putting practice is mandatory, and a bit of chipping (foam balls) in what used to be the family room (now my TV room).

Comment

Originally posted by outthere View Post
          Posted round 222 today, all walking. Feeling good for 72 but do stretching and light weight exercises every day to maintain hitting distance and body flexibility. It’s been a good year of golf.
          Holy crap, 222 rounds?! Impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post

Holy crap, 222 rounds?! Impressive.
            no kidding our season up here - is only 28 weeks which is 196 days - guess he played a few 36 hole days or played down south during the winter
            Driver - Cleveland Classic 290 - 10.5- Miyazaki Stiff -- Taylor Made Burner 3 and 5 wood
            23* and 26* Adams Idea Tech hybrids both with Fubuki 65HY S
            6 - W - Srixon Z 745 - Dynamic Gold S300
            52* - 56* Cobra Tour Trusty
            Scotty Cameron GoLo #7 --- Kia Ma Imola 8

Comment

At 78 had by far, the most fulfilling and enjoyable Season.
              The most important of everything else is that i finished the Season completely pain/injury free.
              Mostly played Super Twilight golf, 9 holes or less some days, but played almost every day.
              Reached my goal of 220 drives but to stay healthy, decided to swing all clubs at 80% so easily achieving andhappy with =<200 yards drives and 130 yards 7i.
              Was planning to play more 18 holes full size courses, but somehow never done this Season, but will try to do more of it next Year - hopefully will get together with some TGNers to do that.
              Will not do any SIMs this WInter, but swinging a training club, walking and all that will do a lot.
              All best to all of you, be Healthy and Happy, and may Winter be short and quick ***AND*** SEE U NEXT YEAR at Lakeview, Braeben and maybe some other Courses.
              Cheers

Comment

enjoyed my season with 114 rounds in - first season I have noticed a significant loss in distance so perhaps I will move up a tee next year - only about 133 days until the new season opens
                Driver - Cleveland Classic 290 - 10.5- Miyazaki Stiff -- Taylor Made Burner 3 and 5 wood
                23* and 26* Adams Idea Tech hybrids both with Fubuki 65HY S
                6 - W - Srixon Z 745 - Dynamic Gold S300
                52* - 56* Cobra Tour Trusty
                Scotty Cameron GoLo #7 --- Kia Ma Imola 8

Comment

Originally posted by cuonthe1t View Post

no kidding our season up here - is only 28 weeks which is 196 days - guess he played a few 36 hole days or played down south during the winter
                  yes, play down south in the winter

Comment

2022 I played for the enjoyment and friendships
                    I saw a glimmer of opportunity in 2023 to get better, so I plan to dedicate myself over the Winter to prepare as in some ways I am playing the best golf of my life

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                    X