Collapse

Donald Rump - singularly unsuited to be POTUS

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Donald Rump - singularly unsuited to be POTUS

I'm curious to see what "the deal" is that they reached.
    MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

This is good news guys.
      1,000 taxpayers keep their jobs. I assume decent paying jobs. Great for them and the local economy.

Comment

Originally posted by pudubny View Post
        Part of the deal is the State of Indiana offering incentives to Carrier to stay. At what cost? That's corporate welfare, tax money for a profitable business. We won't know the real cost until it's announced and reviewed. I am curious what the incentives add up to and if it's really a "good" deal.
        From what I was reading last night . . . Trump announce this and said the State and the City would offer some incentives . . . but when States (Pence was there I guess) and City official were questioned they said they weren't part of the discussion . . .
        Last edited by Chambokl; Nov 30, 2016, 09:06 PM.
        If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Originally posted by vermin40 View Post
          This is good news guys.
          1,000 taxpayers keep their jobs. I assume decent paying jobs. Great for them and the local economy.
          Nolan . . . do you know more information or is he just giving them tax credit? That could be / will be a dangerous game.

Is he blackmailing them . . . Carrier's parent Company is United Technologies. They depend heavily on federal-government contracts . . .

Comment

Maybe a few tweets tonight will tell us everything we want to know. Tomorrow him and Pence (Governor of the State) will be in Indianapolis to announce the deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Chambokl View Post
              Nolan . . . do you know more information or is he just giving them tax credit? That could be / will be a dangerous game.

Is he blackmailing them . . . Carrier's parent Company is United Technologies. They depend heavily on federal-government contracts . . .
              the Pentagon is one of their biggest, if not biggest customer
              things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by Chambokl View Post
                [B]Is he blackmailing them . . . Carrier's parent Company is United Technologies. They depend heavily on federal-government contracts . . .
                It's called negotiating. Would you rather president-elect do nothing and the plant is closed?

Where was Obama or other politicians to lend a helping hand? Oh I forgot, they already have a job and an eventual pension, and the will to do nothing.

Big win for Donald and he isn't even elected yet.
                Last edited by TourIQ; Nov 30, 2016, 11:08 PM.
                Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
                Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
                Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Originally posted by TourIQ View Post
                  It's called negotiating. Would you rather president-elect do nothing and the plant is closed?

Where was Obama or other politicians to lend a helping hand? Oh I forgot, they already have a job and an eventual pension, and the will to do nothing.

Big win for Donald and he isn't even elected yet.
                  First, 1000 of the 2000 jobs will stay as I read. 1000 are going. So 50%.
                  Secondly, Donald didn't do much. The State of Indiana has given them incentives to stay. The city has already lowered their property tax to virtually nil. Pence did something as governor of Indiana. What legally could Trump do? He holds no office.
                  Do you think Obama should get involved to lower taxes for every company threatening to move?
                  Consider if states, cities and the Feds do this for every company threatening to move, is that sustainable?

Comment

I get calls regularly from representatives from mainly southern states (some midwest) asking if we'd ever consider expanding south. They all indicate there are significant state property tax, hiring, moving, building incentives available.
                    I probably get 10-12 calls per year and have for the last 5 years. I just assume this common business practice.
                    We have our own corporate welfare up here.....Bombardier, U.S Steel (Stelco), Irving Ship, Pratt and Whitney, Chrysler, GM etc etc.
                    It's hardly unusual for governments to incentivize companies to relocate to their jurisdiction or to keep them from relocating.
                    I know some here will immediately look for the negative because it's DR. Give the man a chance.
                    Even kudos to JT for giving 2 pipelines approval the other day. It's upset a bunch of tree huggers yet he did it anyway. That's great. Hope he learns along the way the world doesn't work the same way it does on the campaign trail as I'm sure DT will also.

Comment

Vermin,
                      My point is Trump did nothing, could do nothing. Pence as governor did it. But the spin is Trump did it. Not possible.
                      My further point is how much corporate welfare is ok. Canada does it, yes but I'm curious to what level. I don't think their should be much. The US corporate welfare spending is enormous, much of it going to profitable companies. Estimates are as high as $100 billion. That's just federal, not state.

Comment

So if I am hypothetical C level exec from hypothetical US company at my morning mgmt meeting today I am directing my team to develop a fake plan to offshore jobs from my company so I can get the government to throw a bunch of money at me.

Comment

Originally posted by pendlebg View Post
                          So if I am hypothetical C level exec from hypothetical US company at my morning mgmt meeting today I am directing my team to develop a fake plan to offshore jobs from my company so I can get the government to throw a bunch of money at me.
                          Now what you know what it's like to be an owner of a professional sports team getting a new stadium.
                          We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
                          Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
                          Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
                          Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
                          Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
                          Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
                          Srixon Star XV
                          Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Originally posted by vermin40 View Post
                            This is good news guys.
                            Unless the deal has so many concessions in it that ultimately result in a net loss to the state, which will then be passed down to the taxpayers.

IMO, this deal came together far too quickly to have undergone the scrutiny it deserves, especially if this deal will be held up as an example of 'what can be done'.

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post
                              Unless the deal has so many concessions in it that ultimately result in a net loss to the state, which will then be passed down to the taxpayers.

IMO, this deal came together far too quickly to have undergone the scrutiny it deserves, especially if this deal will be held up as an example of 'what can be done'.
                              My suspicion is that it was in the works for a while but kept in the back pocket for just the right time to announce it.
                              We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
                              Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
                              Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
                              Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
                              Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
                              Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
                              Srixon Star XV
                              Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Pence was Gov of Indiana so the state concessions may be nothing new.

So what can Trump do? Hypothetically

he could call the CEO of the parent company and remind him/her that they do $billions/year of government business and he'll be in charge in January

remind him/her the election is over and Trump with GOP in control will lighten their tax/regulatory burden and maybe invite them to the table when discussing new policy, so give them some time

remind them of the good publicity coming their way if they keep some jobs in Indiana vs having the President of the US drag their name thru the mud for 4 years

That's why they call it the bully pulpit.

Trump fashions himself the greatest dealmaker of all time. He made a deal. The politics/details won't be that important to him. He likes the applause and will get a bunch for a few days.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X