President Trump

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i'm afraid the only way a hot button topic like "racism" can be negated is at the voter level. When voters feel used and abused by the candidates constant harping on such a topics they will respond but often without the politician's crew becoming aware of the shift.
    Politicians are loathe to give up on such hot topics simply because they are easy for them to push.
    Once they get the feedback from the public that enough is enough it's usually too late for them to change and they are subconsciously voted out of contention.
    Trump, as the incumbent ,can push those topics much longer than the other candidates, in fact it favours him to do so because they are swimming upstream whereas he is resting above the falls as it were.
    Last edited by bl8d; Jul 18, 2019, 09:21 AM.
    things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

• Originally posted by Richd View Post

no you don't.
      Option 1: Show one of these pieces of ID

• your driver's licence
      • any other card issued by a Canadian government (federal, provincial/territorial or local) with your photo, name and current address
      Option 2: Show two pieces of ID

Both must have your name and at least one must have your current address.

Examples:
      • voter information card and bank statement
      • utility bill and student ID card
      Don’t have these? No problem!

See the list of accepted ID below to prove your identity and address under Option 2. Option 3: If you don't have ID

You can still vote if you declare your identity and address in writing and have someone who knows you and who is assigned to your polling station vouch for you.

The voucher must be able to prove their identity and address. A person can vouch for only one person (except in long-term care institutions).
      Yes... those are called voter ID laws, even those with no government issued photo ID still need to prove their identity, or have somebody vouch for them who has to prove their own identity. What a racist country we live in. Abolish voter ID laws!

Comment

• Originally posted by SeanAvery2point0 View Post

Yes... those are called voter ID laws, even those with no government issued photo ID still need to prove their identity, or have somebody vouch for them who has to prove their own identity. What a racist country we live in. Abolish voter ID laws!
        lol

you said picture ID is required..it is not.

are the voter ID laws you advocate for in the US similar where a utility bill and a voter registration card are sufficient. or a friend can vouch for your identity?

Comment

He didnt say "go back to where you came from" - he said "why dont they go back..." it may seem trivial, but it is a big difference.
          There is zero difference.

And the tweet said: "go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came,".

The statement "go back" when combined with "from which they came" infringes upon each of the protected grounds stated. And therefore is in contravention of the OHRC. And discriminatory by definition.

An open and shut case.

And The Star's golf reporter Morgan Campbell when on to write today:
          "If progressive politics was the problem, Trump would launch a similar broadside at Bernie Sanders. He hasn’t, just like he’s never suggested Republican rival-turned-ally Ted Cruz should return to his country — Canada."
          Last edited by Arthur Dailey; Jul 18, 2019, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Come down from the high horse and we can have a real discussion.

The fact that he said it to visible minorities doesn't make it racist. Race wasn't injected into the issue until the left got a hold of it, race is their focal point and has been for decades. They need to convince minority voters that the GOP is hellbent on destroying them or the Democrat party won't win another federal election in our lifetime.
            You might be able to convince yourself with garbage reasoning like this, and maybe that's how you sleep at night, knowing that your support racists. And I guess you had to wait a couple of days to get your talking points from the white Republicans who gave their "not racist" verdict.

But it's total BS.

You are okay with racism. At least be honest with yourself about that fact. The rest of us can see that you're lying to yourself. A little self-awareness might be in order.

Comment

Voter ID laws aren't racist - you need photo ID to vote in Canada.

Affirmative action is inherently discriminatory

Census question re:citizenship ensures voter rolls only include eligible voters

Gerrymandering is done by both parties

Of course this administration is playing the race game, what did you think the outcome of 30 years of identity politics would be? Did you expect white Americans not to participate after they've been told that the most important part of a person's identity are their immutable characteristics. The notion that identity politics is acceptable for one group but not another is... discriminatory. Either we have identity politics for every different identity or we have it for none.
              Study after study has shown that their is no need for voter ID laws, voter fraud is virtually non existent. Their own research shows it disportionately targets poor minorities. The greatest kicker was states that introduced voter ID laws were required to open free photo ID offices where people who didn't have a drivers license could get voter ID cards. They opened the offices with limited hours in middle and high class neighbourhoods, further discouraging minority voting. All of this is well documented. Check Dr Heffelor's emails. He was another person involved in helping the GOP engineer this.
              The census question was not designed for that, please see Dr. Heffelor's emails again. To advantage the "GOP and non-Latino whites" is the wording I recall. I'm not sure it's legal to change voter rolls based on census results. Census results are only relevant for one or two years.
              Gerrymandering is done by both parties but the courts have found (including SCOTUS) that gerrymandering based on race is not only illegal but so far as I can find, only been done by the GOP. The most extreme examples of gerrymandering in the US are all GOP states just as Karl Rove predicted.
              The version of identidy politics you are selling is not what's found in the research. Whites have anxiety about the changing color of the country, no longer being the top demographic (hierarchy) and changing norms influenced by other cultures. It's fear and anger that Trump tapped into and helps fester. They view minority gains as their loss, which is not actually what happens in society. Of course the idea that they have it worse than minorities is not supported by any single measure you can find. Just how do minorities work toward equality without banding together to fight discrimination? Are you not blaming the victim here?
              Your understanding of affirmative action is transactional and not societal. The idea that society was going to give equal opportunities to minorities without programs like affirmative action is nonsense. Hundreds of studies showed the need for it to happen. The greatest accomplishments of affirmative action include making companies actual look at hiring differently. This came after various studies showed that we "affinity" hire and promote. The idea was always sold as "merit" but the evidence clearly showed that affinity had more to do with hiring and promotion than ability. A Great story that lead to a lot of this research is about how a young 22 year old Daniel Kahneman realized the IDF was promoting bad soldiers to be officers. He threw out all the ideas that had been used before which were mostly "I like that guy" and created objective measures to determine who would actually be a good officer. The two almost never matched up. Of course the IDF became an incredible fighting force, Kahneman was asked to do the same for the US military to mixed success. He did eventually get awarded a Nobel prize. This story is in the book the Undoing Project, a Friendship that Changed our Minds by Michael Lewis. Great read but also teaches us a lot about what we think we know and how easily we are fooled by irrational arguments.
              you seem to think that if we just stopped talking about race, equality would magically appear. You don't seem to have any understanding or willingness to acknowledge that minorities still get discriminated against, individually and institutionally. Just how can that change if minorities don't talk about it and fight inequality by using collective resolve?

Comment

• As long as voters continue to hyphenate their citizen status, politicians will continue to exploit that gap.

In Canada the most frequently asked follow-up to your "I am Canadian" is an anal probe of," where do you really come from". almost as if they need to know what cuisine they can expect to flavour your hamburger mix..

as long as voters continue the effort to differentiate themselves as a distinct block from another, they will be exploited.
                Last edited by bl8d; Jul 18, 2019, 11:17 AM.
                things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

• Originally posted by bl8d View Post
                  i'm afraid the only way a hot button topic like "racism" can be negated is at the voter level. When voters feel used and abused by the candidates constant harping on such a topics they will respond but often without the politician's crew becoming aware of the shift.
                  Politicians are loathe to give up on such hot topics simply because they are easy for them to push.
                  Once they get the feedback from the public that enough is enough it's usually too late for them to change and they are subconsciously voted out of contention.
                  Trump, as the incumbent ,can push those topics much longer than the other candidates, in fact it favours him to do so because they are swimming upstream whereas he is resting above the falls as it were.
                  I think you're right and hope the voters get it right. That will to a large extent depend on how badly the Dems misplay this whole thing. Currently, I'm pessimistic as I feel The Squad needs to take a bit of a breather and back seat and I'm not sure they are inclined that way.
                  WITB: clubs, balls, tees, Advil and a candlestick (just in case)

Comment

• From Theo Moudakis at the Toronto Star:

Click image for larger version

Name:	D_vug6gXUAQHnWi.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	3005734
                    WITB: clubs, balls, tees, Advil and a candlestick (just in case)

Comment

• Your answer was BS. You know it, I know it, and everyone on this site knows it.

Originally posted by SeanAvery2point0 View Post

Come down from the high horse and we can have a real discussion.

The fact that he said it to visible minorities doesn't make it racist. Race wasn't injected into the issue until the left got a hold of it, race is their focal point and has been for decades. They need to convince minority voters that the GOP is hellbent on destroying them or the Democrat party won't win another federal election in our lifetime.
                      This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

He didnt say "go back to where you came from" - he said "why dont they go back..." it may seem trivial, but it is a big difference.
                        Here is exactly what he said, word for word.

So interesting to see “Progressive” Democrat Congresswomen, who originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world (if they even have a functioning government at all), now loudly......

....and viciously telling the people of the United States, the greatest and most powerful Nation on earth, how our government is to be run. Why don’t they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came. Then come back and show us how....

....it is done. These places need your help badly, you can’t leave fast enough. I’m sure that Nancy Pelosi would be very happy to quickly work out free travel arrangements!

If you're going to lie, make sure it's not so easily proven.

I added some bolding, to help connect the dots for you.

Here's another observation. He describes them at telling the people of the US how "our" government is to be run. The people he's talking about ARE people of the US. It is THEIR government they are talking about. But he says it in such a way that they sound foreign, or "other" to his base and therefore diminishes them and their words.
                        "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                        ...Iggy

Comment

• Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

Here is exactly what he said, word for word.

So interesting to see “Progressive” Democrat Congresswomen, who originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world (if they even have a functioning government at all), now loudly......

....and viciously telling the people of the United States, the greatest and most powerful Nation on earth, how our government is to be run. Why don’t they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came. Then come back and show us how....

....it is done. These places need your help badly, you can’t leave fast enough. I’m sure that Nancy Pelosi would be very happy to quickly work out free travel arrangements!

If you're going to lie, make sure it's not so easily proven.

I added some bolding, to help connect the dots for you.

Here's another observation. He describes them at telling the people of the US how "our" government is to be run. The people he's talking about ARE people of the US. It is THEIR government they are talking about. But he says it in such a way that they sound foreign, or "other" to his base and therefore diminishes them and their words.
                          What exactly was the lie? What you bolded was exactly what I posted. Lol. Give your head a shake.

Comment

• Originally posted by mpare View Post
                            Your answer was BS. You know it, I know it, and everyone on this site knows it.

Oh, I'm sorry master, I didnt scho your sentiment so it must be BS. That's kind of bigoted of you, you know, the whole intolerance of different opinions than your own...

Comment

What exactly was the lie? What you bolded was exactly what I posted. Lol. Give your head a shake.
                              I expected you to hang your hat on that.

Do you think making an intentionally misleading post is really that much better? Do you think anyone was fooled by that? Give your head a shake.
                              "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                              ...Iggy

Comment

Oh, I'm sorry master, I didnt scho your sentiment so it must be BS. That's kind of bigoted of you, you know, the whole intolerance of different opinions than your own...
                                Meltdown alert.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X